Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

One other thing...

Contrary to common practice (except in McCormack DNA - Distributed Node Architecture amps), the bigger, better caps should be near the load devices and smaller one after the regulator. This is more expensive than the common practice but has advantages.

First, there is less local stiffening of the power rail near the regulator, so it sees more accurately what the voltage is near the load(s). Second, the loads see lower resistance from having a big cap closer. This is 10x more important if you have those resistors in place or use an inductor!

The big cap before the regulator is still a good thing.

markk02474 said:
Marcus,

From your picture I see a couple things:
1. You didn't jumper the resistors powering the opamps. Its good to do, perhaps after listening with the HDAM removed so you can hear each difference.
2. I don't see a wire to carry the signal around the HDAM. I hope it is on the underside.

Yes finally everything works, i bypass the HDAM the same way ray did in his picture. The picture was taken before i put in the wire. I guess I will listen to it for a while before i put in the jumper for the power resistors, besides i am still waiting for my opamps to arrive. Will be going to purchase a few more ecaps for the opamp area.

Many thanks to all the bros here... so satisfied that i am able to start off successfully.

jksmurf said:

I remember seeing 3x Fleas in your CD63? but the photos showed the fleas alone, not the connections and I was wondering if you could:
* 1st let me know the clock conection details (what to take out, extg clock + 2x caps?) just insert new clock leads in old clock spot? and
* 2nd where did you connect the other 2 fleas, exactly?

Thanks!

k.

k. is this the one you recall ?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=912131#post912131

aka the Christmas tree.

Nice to see this thread buzzing with activity...
Lot's of players being modded right now :D.

jksmurf said:
Ray,
I remember seeing 3x Fleas in your CD63? but the photos showed the fleas alone, not the connections and I was wondering if you could:
* 1st let me know the clock conection details (what to take out, extg clock + 2x caps?) just insert new clock leads in old clock spot? and
* 2nd where did you connect the other 2 fleas, exactly?

Thanks!

k.

No, it's not me with the three Flea's, I think it's AVR. EDIT: yes, indeed... Connecting the Flea to the player is easy: just take out the crystal and the two small ceramic caps (XD01, CD02/03) and connect The Flea's output to the empty holes where CD03 used to be. The ground of The Flea should be connected to the groundplane of the player's PCB.
The deluxe version: you can also take out RD02 and wire jumper U196 and use that hole, it's closer to the DAC chip, and use the ground connection of CD05. For CD57/67 types it's the same, only the wire jumper is U209.

marcusdeming said:
I have gotten this 1004357, the farnell site i visited was the singapore one. Can i say that this varistor thing is more a safety feature.

No, it's not a safety device. It clamps voltage spikes caused by inductive loads or dimmers, or switching devices on or off.

SimontY said:
Then again, if you got it from Ray's list, it's fine. The man knows!

Simon

Thank you, I hope so :clown:...

Regards,

Ray

avr300 said:
LOL, Yep, The Glaedilig Jul version. (Min mor kommer fra Esbjerg). Sooo.. may I ask..where did you put the OTHER two fleas (the non clock versions)?

6h5c said:
No, it's not me with the three Flea's, I think it's AVR. EDIT: yes, indeed... Connecting the Flea to the player is easy: just take out the crystal and the two small ceramic caps (XD01, CD02/03) and connect The Flea's output to the empty holes where CD03 used to be. The ground of The Flea should be connected to the groundplane of the player's PCB.
The deluxe version: you can also take out RD02 and wire jumper U196 and use that hole, it's closer to the DAC chip, and use the ground connection of CD05. For CD57/67 types it's the same, only the wire jumper is U209.[/B]

Excellent Thanks Ray! Getting excited! Any comments on that picture up there in my post, Vregs near the op-amps?

k.

Hi Rowe,
the plug top fuse is to prevent the cable catching fire in the event of a fault.

Do you have a suitable fuse upstream of the modified plug top to give similar protection?

Can you guarantee that at some future date that modified plug top does not get inserted into a standard mains socket outlet?

Don't be silly, the rules are there to save us from ourselves.

In closing, go and ask your house and contents insurance provider for an opinion, Oh, might as well ask the Fire Dept.

I believe the UK is one of very few countries to fit plug fuses!!
The fuse is there for incase the cable is cut and I don't know about you but I dont use shears or sharp impliments behind my hifi equipment.
Also my mains cables are rated @ 32amp and im sure the small tracks on the pcb will go a long time before even a 13amp fuse (forgetting a 500mA fuse in equipment).

All the equipment is fitted with either 500mA 1.6A or 2amp fuses.
The cable its self wont go faulty and if any equipment does it will take the internal fuse out and then i'll repair it.

Im not a noob who does not understand electricity or electronics + if anyone touches my mains leads i'll break some fingers!!!

Brent