Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:

Hi.

You are right in that the HDAM is a buffer.

I wonder what the system would sound like with the second opamp bypassed NOT the HDAM or replaced with a buffer such as Elantec EL2001 in the link above.(with the HDAM bypassed)

Your findings above probably reflect the relative opamp loading.

Andy

I'm quite tempted to try the same filter stage but with a buffer other than the HDAM. It is an op-amp after all with global feedback.
100% feedback vs an open-loop buffer like BUF634 which I have to hand.... I may at some point knock up a small board with 2xTO220 BUF634s in high BW mode and see how it flies. Slightly worried about offsets though. Need to study the data sheet - althought could squeeze them into the feedback loop of the OPA627? (i.e., the 2nd op-amp). Decisions, decisions.....:xeye:
(I've never tried the EL2001)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help!!!

Malefoda said:
Hello there,
Ray I think you are right, now the problem sounds not so evident to me. I still think I miss bass, but maybe the bass the CDP sends can't be given by the small 11L and the Arcam... and that's true I've never listened my discs on a high end system, so in fact I have an idea of what it should sound like, but I don't know how this sounds like in real. I'll cut some parts of the songs to let some of you willing to to try. (maybe fews seconds of 2 songs as PCM makes big files...).
Right now my feeling is : some bass get less volume compared to other freq, but on some other discs it seems they are still present, on some others the drum kit lost is big drum. Only tsiiing ... tsiiing ... no more tsiiing poOOmm tsiiiing poOOmm...
In fact I'm lost...

edit : I'll plug my Philips to see the diffrences...

I had more or less the same experience a while ago, when I compared the SA8400 and CD67. I thought the 8400 was missing something, but when I switched back to the 67 I heard it was there, only the CD67 lacked a lot of extra info. So it was the other way around: the 8400 gives more detail and definition, so it seems the stuff that was already there with the 67 is moved to the background, or is less loud. If it is possible, you should take your player to a friend and listen to it on other equipment. That way you can establish a new reference-point for comparing things. Or buy a cheap CD53/57 and listen to it unmodded :D. That also puts things into perspective :smash:.

Ray

SimontY said:
Evening folks.

I snipped the bleed resistors in my power supplies and the noises reduced. The broadband noise is perhaps a touch lower, and the whine is significantly reduced. So was it clearly oscillation or what?

I think it may sound better too.

Ahh thought so. ;)

Now you need to check your lead layout and a possible gnd loop problem

Brent

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help!!!

6h5c said:

I had more or less the same experience a while ago, when I compared the SA8400 and CD67. I thought the 8400 was missing something, but when I switched back to the 67 I heard it was there, only the CD67 lacked a lot of extra info. So it was the other way around: the 8400 gives more detail and definition, so it seems the stuff that was already there with the 67 is moved to the background, or is less loud. If it is possible, you should take your player to a friend and listen to it on other equipment. That way you can establish a new reference-point for comparing things. Or buy a cheap CD53/57 and listen to it unmodded :D. That also puts things into perspective :smash:.

Ray

Mornin'
That's fact, I am looking for a CD53 on eBay (why buy a CD63 to remove the HDAM ?)... I can get the CD52 SE from my friend, does this player is a good match? Maybe I should have an hear on his CD52SE/PM...SE/JMR Twin.
I'll try to unmod some this 'noon, maybe bypass the 3 more inductances since last mod.
Thanks for support Guys :)

martin clark said:
You've never lived till you've had a skinful of Natch's ;)

(Actually cider is one good reason to live in Somerset -and Natch's falls pretty low on the scale)

Hmm, I'll just take your word for it (not a cider fan at all). And perries...ugh! lol Magners is tasty tho :D

Ordered some 330uF and 470uF Black Gates last night, and a 10uF. These will replace the 4700uF Pana FCs and Cerafines currently employed to decouple the DAC dig, DAC ana, dacclock ref., servo dig, servo ana, decoder dig, decoder ana. I think this will be better, and these particular BGs are fairly keenly priced. I'll let you know...

Simon

SimontY said:

Hmm, I'll just take your word for it (not a cider fan at all). And perries...ugh! lol Magners is tasty tho :D

Ordered some 330uF and 470uF Black Gates last night, and a 10uF. These will replace the 4700uF Pana FCs and Cerafines currently employed to decouple the DAC dig, DAC ana, dacclock ref., servo dig, servo ana, decoder dig, decoder ana. I think this will be better, and these particular BGs are fairly keenly priced. I'll let you know...

Simon

Cider is very nice BUT!!! it has to be a good non branded one. Magners is ok.
None of this Strongbow or woodpecker pish.

BG all the way baby, give them a few weeks to settle in and you will get a lush sound that produces music with ease.

Brent

Come on Simon tell us more about the blackgates, or just mail me at subs757@msn.com. Ill do a comparison test also in the CD63ki.

Simon can u tell me more about the HF coax mod from transport bd please, i couldnt see any thread info in here. Maybe i searched incorrectly. Im looking at doing this mod at the weekend so info is appreciated.

By the way, the bleed resistors in the PSU you built are they necessary as the caps do not really need a discharge path post regulator as its low voltage. Maybe something i dont know ?

Simon do you own a scope ???

ImSparticus said:
Come on Simon tell us more about the blackgates, or just mail me at subs757@msn.com. Ill do a comparison test also in the CD63ki.

Simon can u tell me more about the HF coax mod from transport bd please, i couldnt see any thread info in here. Maybe i searched incorrectly. Im looking at doing this mod at the weekend so info is appreciated.

By the way, the bleed resistors in the PSU you built are they necessary as the caps do not really need a discharge path post regulator as its low voltage. Maybe something i dont know ?

Simons ripped the bleeds out now, he saw the error of his ways :D .

Brent

ImSparticus said:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my message. There's no special deal. I just meant I'll post my listening results, when I've done the upgrade.

I'm such a bodger I'm not the best person to advise, but I can say it's worth doing if you're looking for reduced "digital edge".

You take the signal from the RF amp pcb under the transport. Looking at the service manual it appears you take it from just before the 2nd to last pin of connector J102. If I remember correctly there's a handy jumper you can lift and solder to, which will handily disconnect the original wiring. Probably best to solder the shield of your coax somewhere on this board too.

The other end you solder to R501, I believe. Obviously you lift this at the end closest to the transport. I soldered in an RCA plug but this is messy, I don't particularly recommend doing this. There are surely better and neater methods to make it detachable.

Well I snipped the resistors and intend to leave them that way. The suspected oscillation appears to have calmed down at least a bit. The bleed resistors were only pre-regulator. Just a slightly unnecessary precaution against up to 16,000uF at 25v (depending on psu).

Yes, but it's old and I don't really know how to use it.

Simon

I need money & holidays...

Good evening gentlemen,

I've tried my Philips DVP5500S, a very good CD/SACD/DVD/Divx;) player for the money (130€ when new, less than 100 when at his end, 25 for me on eBay). I've checked forums and reviews for what is said about the CD playback. They say quite good player.
Then came the fight : CD53 modded PCB only (upgraded components as the Ray's list and the chosen OpAmps are LM4562). versus stock DVP5500S (wich show a very very small (how it can be so small!!) pcb with JRC 4560...
CD53 is more clear and more true, words are more articulated and the picture is drawn with a thiner pencil, more precise.
But the Philips does very well indeed, even if lack of transparency, it works quite well.
My feeling is that the work done on this CD53 from mid '90 just overtake a little a new player... That means the standard CD53 loose versus the Philips, and I think it is quite normal after so long time... but I guess what I modded is just the base mods in order to fully take advantage of bigger ones.
About my thought lost bass, no level diffrence between the players, so this may be in my mind, the records seems the same on both players. (I've tried to undo some mods, but seems no big change from the last big upgrade... maybe it's all in my head...).
So here are my feeling now:
My actual speakers and amp won't show the improvments on the CD player any further. They are too weak.
My room, known as my main sound problem, kills the sound, so the improvments are also.
The LM4562 get burnt, and they do not show bass as much as my AD8620 did.
My CDP needs days to burn in.
I need holidays and to change my mind.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

About the wise way to do, I now have no more money to afford disc now and then, so what's the use of having a top player if none the amp and speaker, worst room, can't take advantage of the CDP? System should be balanced, that's why I think I won't go any further right now, as the mods cost me... many times the Philips! I'll see to get a good amp, then find some used but high end speakers. Maybe I'll go for Raygulators for long cold winter's nights.

As you see I'm in trouble, so any coments, even negatives, are welcome. Thanks again all of you!