Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Malefoda said:
I've found back the bill of the Arcam, not that cheap :(

It's not a cheap brand, but once you open it up....
Sony stuff all over the place, and a cheap KSS-240A unit. I hate these things. This player, it simply sounds horrible. I thought it might be a nice upgrade project, with a BB DAC on board. The sound is bright and harsh and painful to my ears. It became even worse when I put in some different opamps, then even more of this was revealed. I think i'll permanently enable the muting transistors in this one :D.

Ray

6h5c said:

It's not a cheap brand, but once you open it up....
Sony stuff all over the place, and a cheap KSS-240A unit. I hate these things. This player, it simply sounds horrible. I thought it might be a nice upgrade project, with a BB DAC on board. The sound is bright and harsh and painful to my ears. It became even worse when I put in some different opamps, then even more of this was revealed. I think i'll permanently enable the muting transistors in this one :D.

Ray

Ray
Anyone might think you don't like sony stuff (or BB dac's)?
what standard dac did it use?

hows the cd65 modded sound?

avr300
"Only lagging the vol up-down, guess the 1541 don't know this."

the TDA1451 is current out, no volume adjust in dac.

allan

ImSparticus said:
ADFINNI

Yes m8, i havnt forgotten, i should of mailed you, been out a lot lately. I have ordered more form National but for some reason although the order went through i havnt had any replies, I know my works mail box is full so i will see what happens. I have some nice gold plated sockets also, as i said previously these are Gold Plated, not the cheaper gold over nickel, Check your mail later. Have some 4% silver solder for you to install them with also.

I just hope they send me more, i want a spare set also.

Dennis

Nice one mate.... Cheers.

Ive got nothing in my inbox, but i do have 700 unread messages loitering around around which i can't be bothered to delete. You could try my uni email instead so we could chat away and not polute the thread :D : emyxaf@nottingham.ac.uk :

Ive used some standard 2.5% antex silver solder for installing all the parts in my new player, but even with the HDAM gone and new sockets i can't hear a difference. I havn't been listening that carefully though but im sure it will take off when i sort everything else out :)

Cheers ray for the link and andy for the explanation. I could have sworn that the back plate was held on with rivets. But hey..... less effort and soldering needed now !!!!

awpagan said:
Ray
Anyone might think you don't like sony stuff (or BB dac's)?
what standard dac did it use?

hows the cd65 modded sound?

allan

Nah, it's just the combination of plastic and Sony in this particular player I guess. I've repaired too many cheap ones (with KSS210 and KSS240) in the past to be positive about these transports. Cheap stuff. A flimsy metal plate with some plastic cogs and guides, and a discmotor. But hey, it works and it's cheap. Just not my kind of thing. Unfortunately you see some highly regarded brands that use this **** inside their machines. My SA8400 is full of Sony stuff, the decoding chips as well as the transport, but it's a whole different ballgame. It runs smooth and is built very nicely.

I think the DAC in the Arcam is a PCM1716 if I remember correctly. But i'm not going to check it, because I have to totally dismantle the player to get to the underside of the PCB. The front PCB is attached to the main PCB with double row connectors, and you have to remove the plastic front cover and that PCB first. A real pain.

BB made some pretty good DAC's, but I don't like the latest models very much. But that goes for other manufacturers too, like Crystal. Most of them have some form of integrated analog output **** on the chip now.

Well, that's a big relief, and gets rid of most of my frustrations for now :D.

I already sold the CD65II. The TDA1541A is a nice DAC, but the player couldn't convince me after modding it. It has a natural kind of peace in the sound, but it lacked some detail and some dynamics that my CD67 does much better. I think the old layout is also guilty of that. Of course it didn't sound bad, i'm just spoiled :D. I have a second CD65, maybe i'm going to use the DAC chip some day. If I had to choose between the Arcam Alpha One and the CD65, i could very well live with the 65.

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

Is there any chance you could post or email an editable )excel or word) copy of your parts PDF for the CD67SE?

I need to make up a list for my wife to order the parts, and I'd like to make it a bit simpler for her so she doesn't have to spend too much time on it, e.g. for multiple copies of parts like the Schottky Diodes I can just write

"Schottky Diodes" IR 110DQ10 8#

btw, I am chuffed to bits right now, just got a new VAM1201 and installed it and it fixed my "disc" error straight off, so now I'm good to go on the mods. Like a little kid at a Birthday party... :)

Ta!

k.

Re: My CD63 Transformation

The only downside is that I got a little agressive and removed too many components and now my display is inop. I need to look at the schematics again and see which part I removed that I should not have! :bigeyes:
[/B]

Hi and welcome

I noticed in your pics you removed the transistor Q853 and this is needed for the display ;)

Also a clock improves detail and timing

Brent

I need help with a convince-the-Wife-question

... I know much of what is reviewed is very subjective etc. etc. but if I go for Ray's FULL list of parts for a C67SE, how much approx. will that be compared to purchasing a CD-player of an equivalent class that it will "become" after the mods?

Ta

k.

jksmurf said:

... I know much of what is reviewed is very subjective etc. etc. but if I go for Ray's FULL list of parts for a C67SE, how much approx. will that be compared to purchasing a CD-player of an equivalent class that it will "become" after the mods?

Ta

k.

Hi
Cost is all down to quality of parts used (special regs, clock etc).

But what ever you spend modding it the audio benefits will out weigh what you would have got for your money purchasing a new player.

I have modded cd63 and 67 for people using the very basic mods listed here (caps , bypass , hdam removal , op amps etc , seperate regs) and these people prefer the sound of their modded player to there 4 year old £1000 sony or 8 year old £1000 Naim. Now they want me to mod their other stuff LOL

Brent

Re: New idea

avr300 said:
Hi there..

To you who has the 74x divider. How do you feed it? Directly from your clock - with the potential of polluting your clock signal?

How about feeding it from pin 4 of the DAC? Anyone tried that?

I run mine with a 10ohm res at the clock end. I contacted audiocom and they said it would run 3 dacs with no problem. I only got gains doing it this way.

Brent

rowemeister said:
But what ever you spend modding it the audio benefits will out weigh what you would have got for your money purchasing a new player.

I have modded cd63 and 67 for people using the very basic mods listed here (caps , bypass , hdam removal , op amps etc , seperate regs) and these people prefer the sound of their modded player to there 4 year old £1000 sony or 8 year old £1000 Naim. Now they want me to mod their other stuff LOL

Brent
Oh that's just awesome news. Cheers Brent, I'm, really looking forward to this.

k.

jksmurf said:

Ta

k.

I'd say do it right and you're looking at £1000+

I'd say mine is easily £1000 level now, and could rise a long way with more power supplies and a discrete output. Maybe equivalent to £2000 or so bought new.

Simon

awpagan said:
Ray

did you try the cd65 in NOS?

allan

No, I didn't. Word is that it sounds even better then. Maybe i'll try it some day.

jksmurf said:
Ray,

Is there any chance you could post or email an editable )excel or word) copy of your parts PDF for the CD67SE?

Ta!

k.

Just send me a personal mail and i'll mail you a DOC, or RTF or whatever you like.

rowemeister said:

Brent

SimontY said:
I'd say do it right and you're looking at £1000+

Simon

I agree fully!

Regards,

Ray