Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Marantz cd 53 mods

Dear Sir

i read all your info abaout the marantz cd mods and intended to remove the output caps but I´m afraid of the offset...

I measured 0.025v between the first output cap and earth with the cd playing. can it hurt if I remove the caps ??

I actually use an old meridian 101 pre amp and can not say if it has input caps.....

I would really appreciate your advice.

Best regards

RC

Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

RCruz said:
Dear Sir

i read all your info abaout the marantz cd mods and intended to remove the output caps but I´m afraid of the offset...

I measured 0.025v between the first output cap and earth with the cd playing. can it hurt if I remove the caps ??

I actually use an old meridian 101 pre amp and can not say if it has input caps.....

I would really appreciate your advice.

Best regards

RC

Even if the signal was amplified by 50x (not likely) that's 1.25vdc, which isn't going to be enough to ruin anything. It will just reduce the xmax of your speakers and reduce their power handling slightly. In reality it's surely no problem, and your preamp will have caps.

Regards
Simon

Just an update.. I've not been working on my cd player, just enjoying the new power leads I've treated the system to, and I'm working on a new mains block. I've popped some pics of that, and my new room (diffusion efforts shown) on my work-in-progress site: http://www.eurolinkcourses.co.uk/simon/ (the menu links lead nowhere yet so please don't click on them).

When my new room finally sounds good enough (it's close now) I'll get back to work on my cd player, with more psu 5v and 12v upgrades and a discrete output.

Ta,
Simon

SimontY said:
Just an update.. I've not been working on my cd player, just enjoying the new power leads I've treated the system to, and I'm working on a new mains block. I've popped some pics of that, and my new room (diffusion efforts shown) on my work-in-progress site: http://www.eurolinkcourses.co.uk/simon/ (the menu links lead nowhere yet so please don't click on them).

When my new room finally sounds good enough (it's close now) I'll get back to work on my cd player, with more psu 5v and 12v upgrades and a discrete output.

Ta,
Simon

Hey, the Man In Green is back!
Lots of cupper, like it!
Will turn to green too!
Jaap:D

Hmmm ... I was originally planning to remove the DC blocking caps on the output, but I am running the CD into a passive preamp and then into my modified Dynaco ST-70. The problem is between the CDp and the tube amp, there is NO caps! I am thinking of keeping the cap just to be safe. Am looking at the Black Gate N and K-Series. It states the N-Series is the best to-date and best suited for coupling stages. So, being a non-polarized, my idea is to take a sngle 100uF run across the + lead of one to the + lead of the other. Being that it is non-polarized, no need for one in each direction and 2 in parallel is 1/C1+1/C2, I have 110uF equivalent. Either that, or two K-Series which is more $$$. Any suggestions?

BTW, for the power supply, why wouldn't you recommend Low ESR? I'd think it would be better for the switching of the digital chips. I'm not talking Ultra-Low ESR ... just Panasonic FC's. Likewise for bulk capacitance on the decoder and DAC. Then I'll have Silmic's or BG's on the analog to handle bulk capacitance.

BTW, my CD63 is the basic model ... not MKIII, not SE or KI. And it has all Elna caps! Silmic on the audio and PS, generic Elna on the digital and Cerafines on the op-amp ... is this normal? I thought only the SE had those upgrades.

BTW ...

I forgot to add my listening comments on the stock player. The midrange is decent with good clarity and detail. The treble is over-emphasized and has no detail or clarity. The bass is there, but very muddy and vague. For comparison, I have Micheal Hedges Aerial Boundaries on CD and vinyl and the vinyl stomps all over this thing! :D

I do have to say I am impressed by the midrange coming out of the stock player ... not bad at all for CD! If I could tighten up the bass and get some clarity on the trebles, I'd be a happy, happy camper!

Time to get modding ...

craigtone said:
Hmmm ... I was originally planning to remove the DC blocking caps on the output, but I am running the CD into a passive preamp and then into my modified Dynaco ST-70. The problem is between the CDp and the tube amp, there is NO caps!

Hi Craig,

No caps shouldn't be a problem with a tube-input preamp. The only thing that happens is a small DC component will get to the grid of the first tube, which will shift the bias a tiny little bit. The offset is only tens of millivolts against a 1...2V grid bias. No harm done, and it will get rid of another cap in the signal path. I have a 6SN7 that's directly coupled to my player's input this way.

Ray

Chivvyp said:
Hi,

Finally found the cause of the balance problem. A lifted PCB track on CD16 was letting a couple of volts of DC into the signal line.

It's fixed now (but the bottom of the PCB is beginning to look like an explosion in a spaghetti factory :xeye: ) but with all the mods it's really sounding sweet.

I've decided it's got a bit too fragile to handle too much more modding so I think I'll limit the mods to swapping opamps for now and just enjoy listening;)....... and maybe start to attack an old Philips CD160 :devilr:

Thanks to everyone who helped me with their advice

Pete

Hi,

Looks like I was tempting fate!
:(

I have a small problem still. When I switch on from cold the laser mech "chatters" for 5-6 seconds (sounds a bit like it isn't getting the clock signal), then stops but doesn't read the disc toc. If I then switch off and on the toc is read and everything plays fine. :confused:

I have split the 5v feeds (DAC clock (pin 27), DAC analogue and DAC digital) and fitted a superclock. Could the problem be caused by the break in synchronisation between the clock and and the dac clock (but why only from a cold start. Has anyone else come across this type of fault?

Regards

Pete

6h5c said:

Hi Craig,

No caps shouldn't be a problem with a tube-input preamp. The only thing that happens is a small DC component will get to the grid of the first tube, which will shift the bias a tiny little bit. The offset is only tens of millivolts against a 1...2V grid bias. No harm done, and it will get rid of another cap in the signal path. I have a 6SN7 that's directly coupled to my player's input this way.

Ray

That's true! I am coming into a 12AT7 input stage. If I do notice a problem with bias causing distortion, I could always swap a 12AU7 in it's place! Considering my amp sensitivity is now 900mV! DOH!

Chivvyp said:
I have a small problem still. When I switch on from cold the laser mech "chatters" for 5-6 seconds (sounds a bit like it isn't getting the clock signal), then stops but doesn't read the disc toc. If I then switch off and on the toc is read and everything plays fine. :confused:

I have split the 5v feeds (DAC clock (pin 27), DAC analogue and DAC digital) and fitted a superclock. Could the problem be caused by the break in synchronisation between the clock and and the dac clock (but why only from a cold start. Has anyone else come across this type of fault?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Is the clock powered from the player, or does it have it's own supply? I could be the clock not powering up fast enough. If you then turn it on for the second time, the caps are still a bit charged and everything runs fine. I had similar problems when I used a too big bypass cap on the adj-pin of a regulator.

Ray.

Help! Remote control does nothing!

I've done the damping, and all on Ray's list but Decoder/Servo & Vref/Drivers.
Sounds great but... no more RC! It works with the OEM one at maybe 3 cm, and with a chinese "all in1" at... 10 cm... :( is there anything on the PCB that sacrifice de RC? Or just a "normal but unlucky" failure? How to test & fix it?
Heeeeeeelp!!!!

Re: Help! Remote control does nothing!

Malefoda said:
Sounds great but... no more RC! It works with the OEM one at maybe 3 cm, and with a chinese "all in1" at... 10 cm... :( is there anything on the PCB that sacrifice de RC? Or just a "normal but unlucky" failure? How to test & fix it?
Heeeeeeelp!!!!

Perhaps all too obvious, but you didn't accidentally turn it off via the switch at the back did you?

Regards
Simon

Re: Re: Help! Remote control does nothing!

Heeeeeeelp!!!!

Did you replace RY11 with an inductor? That one supplies +5V to the front PCB. Somehow the inductor in the powerline seems to interfere with the RC5 remote signal sometimes. Try a 10...22u electrolytic in parallel with CY01 on the front PCB, that fixed it for me. If you look at the traces carefully, you can solder it right on, you don't even have to take the PCB out.

Regards,

Ray

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spindle motor problem

disco said:
Ray, do you know a source for a new laser unit nearby?
I don't ebay anymore since being ripped for the 25th time last year :(
Regards, Jaap

Yes, I buy all my service parts here: www.lejos.nl
Here's the complete transport, or you can buy just the optical pickup, which is a bit cheaper.
Another option is to go to a local repair-shop, most of the times they are willing to sell you the unit for a reasonable price.

Regards,

Ray

Re: Re: Re: Help! Remote control does nothing!

6h5c said:
Did you replace RY11 with an inductor? That one supplies +5V to the front PCB. Somehow the inductor in the powerline seems to interfere with the RC5 remote signal sometimes. Try a 10...22u electrolytic in parallel with CY01 on the front PCB, that fixed it for me. If you look at the traces carefully, you can solder it right on, you don't even have to take the PCB out.

Regards,

Ray [/B]

I replace it with 470uH/2,5R as on your list, is it that?
http://fr.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=517070
They say inductance so I think I'm in... I've left only what I've removed from the PCB, anything I can use to fit on CY01? Maybe I can use the OEM C124? (10u/16V)? I pray for this is the issue!
Thanks!

Re: Re: Modding Marantz CD67

6h5c said:

Hi Tan,

Getting the drawer or transport out is not very difficult. Just start by opening the player and see if you can move the drawer gently by hand to free it. Here's a page that shows how to replace the laserunit, but is has some useful pictures. The drawer takes the transport up and down with it as it slides in and out, maybe something got stuck there. If this doesn't get you anywhere, remove the complete transport from the player as shown on that page. You'll have to remove the front lid of the drawer to take it out. Then you can try to rotate the cog wheel (it sits at the left front under the drawer) by hand to free the drawer. If everything works as it should, you can slide the drawer in and out by hand without any problems. The mechanism works o.k. without any electrical power. Good luck!

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

If the reason is laser unit not working where should I purchase another laser unit. Is it still available anywhere since the CD 67SE was discontinued? Thanks.:cannotbe:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spindle motor problem

6h5c said:
Yes, I buy all my service parts here: www.lejos.nl
Here's the complete transport, or you can buy just the optical pickup, which is a bit cheaper.
Another option is to go to a local repair-shop, most of the times they are willing to sell you the unit for a reasonable price.

Regards,

Ray

Hmmm, this Etoko is MS-only... these boys never learn :(
Will shop around. Thanks for the input!
Jaap

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! Remote control does nothing!

Malefoda said:
I replace it with 470uH/2,5R as on your list, is it that?
http://fr.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=517070
They say inductance so I think I'm in... I've left only what I've removed from the PCB, anything I can use to fit on CY01? Maybe I can use the OEM C124? (10u/16V)? I pray for this is the issue!
Thanks!

Yep, the inductor is the one, correct. The C124 10u/16V should do the trick, if that is the problem.