Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

pantera6 said:
Jaap,
Sorry to sound daft, but the pic you posted of the circuit board close to the RCA outputs .... is that your passive filter + FET output stage??

You're not sounding daft at all as this thread is getting longer and longer...

Yes, it's Rays' passive fiter and FET buffer. I just did the PCB design.

In the center is a Tent clock (bolted to mainboard) plus Tent PSU (bolted to side of case).
On the right is a 4X 5V PSU (bolted to bottom of case).

regards, jaap

Attachments

• marantz7-gr.jpg
    marantz7-gr.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 423
disco said:

In the center is a Tent clock (bolted to mainboard) plus Tent PSU (bolted to side of case).

regards, jaap

disco are you etching the pcbs yourself?

Brent

disco said:

regards, jaap

Jaap, very impressive work mate! :up: Was the difference noticable going from opamps + HDAM to the custom FET output stage? How would you characterise the change in sound??

Cheers,
Champi

pantera6 said:
Was the difference noticable going from opamps + HDAM to the custom FET output stage?
How would you characterise the change in sound??

Thanks.

Well, I do own a second CD63 modded this far:

acoustica clock mod, good caps for 5V (BG NX 1000uF) and 12V, removing HDAM , muting transistors, DC blocking caps and headphone circuit, placing selfs with beads, bypassing several electrolytic caps with SMD stuff, changed diodes to Schottky. Original 21140 opamps but matched resistors.

Compared to the one shown (FET buffer, Tent clock, dedicated PSUs) it gives less presence, know what I mean? Music is more veiled, indirect.
When playing the copper one, I am allways looking for the volume knob to put it louder :) I guess this is a good sign.

Don't remember each mods' effect but I think much veil was lifted by putting in better caps and bypassing them with PPS smds. Not necessary larger caps, just better as all caps destroy details.

Regards, Jaap

rowemeister said:
Remind me not to have coffee @ your house LOL

Haha, and I thought only French wine was made with anti-freeze.

Anyway....

We're in a bit of a quandary now, with regard to these servo chips we're trying to source. That is me, and also Brent, who wants one for a spare.

The first place didn't actually have any and didn't know when it'd get them. Now this second supplier doesn't actually have any, and says they're rare. BUT, a French source can supply them (if we're really lucky), yet that might take up to two weeks.

So I wonder, does anyone have a completely trashed player from which they'd like to donate/sell a servo chip? I'd really love to get my player working ASAP! :bawling:

Cheers
Simon

disco said:

regards, jaap

BTW Jaap, really nice layout. A bit of a pain to get the board out I'll guess. That's why I'm trying to get as much as possible to stick to the board itself. One newer knows when one have to rip it apart to test an idea.

SimontY said:

Haha, and I thought only French wine was made with anti-freeze.

Anyway....

We're in a bit of a quandary now, with regard to these servo chips we're trying to source. That is me, and also Brent, who wants one for a spare.

The first place didn't actually have any and didn't know when it'd get them. Now this second supplier doesn't actually have any, and says they're rare. BUT, a French source can supply them (if we're really lucky), yet that might take up to two weeks.

So I wonder, does anyone have a completely trashed player from which they'd like to donate/sell a servo chip? I'd really love to get my player working ASAP! :bawling:

Cheers
Simon

Yes its really annoying. I placed an order with Grandata and after 5 days I contacted them to find out when delivery was expected and they told me they were out of stock and will probably not stock again. THANKS FOR INFORMING ME NOOBS.

So on monday I sourced some @ NIKKO and placed the order. Nothing yet so I rang them this morning and they tell me they are out of stock and dont know when they will be in stock. THANKS FOR TELLING ME NOOBS.

He then said a contact in France had some but they were dear!! I asked how much and he said £3 to him each. HONESTLY. "Just order them" "I need to make something on them too" "OK how much?" "£3.75 each" "Order them please" "could be 10-14 days"

The world is full of muppets

Just for a servo ic.

Poor old Simon

Brent

avr300 said:
BTW Jaap, really nice layout. A bit of a pain to get the board out I'll guess. That's why I'm trying to get as much as possible to stick to the board itself. One newer knows when one have to rip it apart to test an idea.

There are 10 wires to loosen when taking out the board.
I've put in silver pins for easy access (four of them are between the red cap and FET buffer).

Regards, Jaap

Attachments

• marantz7d.jpg
    marantz7d.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 355