Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Zimmer

FWIW, the Castles (unassisted) handled average to peaks of mid 80s to 93 or so on the Mombasa - but for an all out assault below 50Hz, I turned the woofer back on and gave the Dark Night opening credits a test drive. I've not necessarily got a problem with "loud", but frankly though give me Mussorgsky or Stravinsky or even Supertramp & Floyd for drama, dynamics and textural contrasts- I find very few soundtracks that really stand on their own after repeated listening, but maybe they aren't intended to.

On second thought, some of Williams and John Barry's incidental background stuff ( Thunderball for example) is quite evocative without recalling any particular visual image.

Yup, I'm a geezer

Completely off-topic but just to prove that people working in hifi stores do not have enough knowledge.

I was in the city today and I hade some spare time between having been to the dentist and catching the train home again so I visited a hifi store on the way to the train station. In the shop they had a DIY tapped horn with a 6.5" Digital Designs woofer in it. I asked the guy working there if it was good and he said it was very good and played 140dB. I asked him how low bass it could play and he said it would play very very low. I asked him how that was possible since the horn was only a single fold and can't have been much longer than ~2m long in total. In that case the horn would (if I have understood it correctly) only play well down to ~40Hz?
Well, I doubt a horn of that size can play "very very low". I didn't ask him about the maths though, didn't have time for such a long conversation :p

FYI - I've been listening to a SEOS12 Alpha8a combo, and really liking it. I'm not done with it, but it's quite promising. I also just finished a Delta 10a SEOS12 combo, which will be turned into a kit on www.diysoundgroup.com, but I think I like this more if someone doesn't need the insane output from the delta10a.

954D88E0-F82E-40C1-A6F6-2B65BAC2B8BC-992-0000018FAEEC68CD.jpg

Tomorrow I will start the long journey to Gothenburg. Leaving home at 14:40 and arriving at my brother's apartment in Stockholm at about 20:30 I guess. Then me and dad leave for Gothenburg early in the morning, the train takes maybe 4-5 hours, I'm not sure. Then we'll drop our bags off at the hotel and continue to the hotel where it all takes place. The hotel is a bit outside of Gothenburg so I guess it will take us another one hour to get there.
On saturday evening I might go to Kungsbacka south of Gothenburg to visit a guy who has these speakers and listen to them.
pm210d.jpg

oy006LargeWebview.jpg

Pretty different speakers, will be interesting to hear what they're like and compare them to what I've hear during the day. Will be the first time listening to PA-drivers in a home stereo setup.

Spent the whole evening making three CDs to bring with me, with my own music. Jazz and "brazilian jungle sounds" tend to be too common during hifi exhibitions, unfortunately. But I've brought some Rammstein and Rage Against The Machine with me ;)

I will be dead on monday, that's for sure. Will travel almost 30 hours this weekend, that wont go unnoticed.

Finally home. With some unexpectedly delayed trains the trip home took a bit longer than it was supposed to.

I spent the whole saturday at the big hifi-show just outside Gothenburg. To be honest I wasn't that very impressed by the sound. The few speakers that was somewhat good was some Revel, new model playing for the first time in Europe. They were 50.000SEK. Then some JBL for 190.000 JBL was also quite good. But the best was O&G Engineering Morello-1.

hZe5f.jpg

It's some small Swedish company building them (and the amplifier they were using, 2x650 watts huge *** thing) and they had the best sound (and played the best music).

On sunday I went to Kungsbacka a bit south of Gothenburg to visit Ingvar. He only had one pair of speakers at home, his smallest, but that turned out to be good enough.

PYAS7.jpg

Morel drivers, all of them. Started with some rock. Some RATM, Metallica and that kind of stuff, didn't impress me at all. Then we put on Fuhre Mich with Rammstein and turned up the volume pretty high and then I got really impressed. It sounded very clean even at such high SPL and the sofa was shaking violently. Continued with some "calmer" music and it sounded good too.

His room was much bigger than mine, so I asked him about that because in his room the bass was perfect. But in my room it would most likely be overwhelming. He said that the box is an aperiodic construction with a long slot port and I could simply adjust the amount of dampening material in the port to reduce the bass. They could be place close to wall without problems. The only "downside" was that the sensitivity was 89dB (or 92dB in some way).

And if adding material to the port isn't enough I could always EQ them to suit my room better. Sitting close (2.5m) wouldn't be a problem either, since it's relatively small drivers and they're quite close to eachother.

A complete kit would cost ~10.000SEK, including everything (even glue). CNC-cut panels, high quality filter components and all that. I asked him about cutting some birchply for a pair of mar-kels and that was no problem at all if I just emailed him the drawings.

By the way, regarding the Mar-Kels... If I am to let him cut panels for me, should I let him cut for the standard Mar-Kel70 or the Mar-Kel70T? I think it will be 18mm birchply, since that's what he's using for his speakers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By the way, regarding the Mar-Kels... If I am to let him cut panels for me, should I let him cut for the standard Mar-Kel70 or the Mar-Kel70T? I think it will be 18mm birchply, since that's what he's using for his speakers.

You might as well get the trapezoids. He will need to email me so i can chat with him before he gets the plans (and i should be the one that sends them)

dave

Do you have anymore photos of that cross over? Those are expensive parts, but they're arranged such that the woofers are high passed (assuming that's the woofer circuit). If that's the tweeter circuit then they are low passed. That could be it if the tweeter had a rising response. Usually a series resistor will do the same thing for much less money though.

You might as well get the trapezoids. He will need to email me so i can chat with him before he gets the plans (and i should be the one that sends them)

dave

Do you have an 18mm drawing ready?
I've sent him your email, he can be quite slow sometimes (he's a bit old) so give him a day or two :)

Will I need new baffles or are the will the ones you sent me work fine?

he can be quite slow sometimes (he's a bit old)

Ouch! Stabbed in the back, but true, painfully true, and since the senility issue wasn´t mentioned i can live with that.

The x-over above is the entire circuit for the Oy speaker, 1:st order, it looks strange as
incomming wires are not connected yet, positive in to where cap and coil are connected, negative in meets the blue and black wires.

Ingvar

Okay, a pair of these
DSC_0239.JPG

has been ordered. Ingvar will also cut the panels for my Mar-Kel70T, thanks!

He said he's send the stuff on monday to my dad's job in town, so I should have them at home before the weekend.

What finish would you recommend? I don't know really how I want them to look like. I know that I want to keep the wood visible, I don't know how to say but I don't want to paint them all black or like that.

Ingvar, I remember you said something about finish before I left but I can't remember what it was?