Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

My room is ~16sqm and 2.4m height I think. No more acoustic treatment than I currently have will be possible, so I'll have to do the best I can without it. So far I've started to EQ ~50Hz -10dB which made the bass a whole lot better.

If I build something that somebody else has built before and worked a lot on to make it sound good I'm pretty sure I can get it to sound good at the first try. The Mar-Kel70 sounds pretty good even though I was one of the first to build them, right?

No, just a lot of pots in a box.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

while computer based systems can offer much more elaborate XO / EQ and even "room correction" in the digital domain, this looks to have enough flexibility to at least dial in a reasonable taste test of XO settings for your current situation - sometimes less is more

or as my wife would say, "less is more or less enough, I guess"

e120b.jpg

e120.jpg

Beyma Liberty 8 and Beyma CD10Fe. I've spoken to the guy building those and he says just less than $1500/10000SEK for a pair including EVERYTHING, just assembly left to be done.

And this guy happens to live like 20 minutes from Gothenburg, where I'm going 15-16 september for a hifi-show. Might be able to pay him a visit.

e120b.jpg

e120.jpg

Beyma Liberty 8 and Beyma CD10Fe. I've spoken to the guy building those and he says just less than $1500/10000SEK for a pair including EVERYTHING, just assembly left to be done.

And this guy happens to live like 20 minutes from Gothenburg, where I'm going 15-16 september for a hifi-show. Might be able to pay him a visit.

Are you saying this "kit" is to be demoed at the show, or in a private residence?

They may very well be a great sounding speaker in the right space, and represent excellent value. Having attended a few hi-fi shows myself, I've heard 2way systems such as this, which includes a top mounted compression driven horn, that don't perform particularly well in the smallish hotel rooms that are often used for demos. The areas where they can fall down include muddy bass from exciting room nodes, and poor integration of imaging through the area of the XO at listening distances that are often less than 10ft.

Play very close attention to the size of room in which you hear these, and your listening distance.

Are you saying this "kit" is to be demoed at the show, or in a private residence?

They may very well be a great sounding speaker in the right space, and represent excellent value. Having attended a few hi-fi shows myself, I've heard 2way systems such as this, which includes a top mounted compression driven horn, that don't perform particularly well in the smallish hotel rooms that are often used for demos. The areas where they can fall down include muddy bass from exciting room nodes, and poor integration of imaging through the area of the XO at listening distances that are often less than 10ft.

Play very close attention to the size of room in which you hear these, and your listening distance.

Private residence. The designer and builder of these speakers has invited me to his house to listen to these and some other similar speakers. I will make sure to try them in a room similar to my room and at a similar listening distance. I'm sure these can play loud and dynamic enough (and more, if I'd ever want to) but I'd still like to hear them before buying since it's possible.

Private residence. The designer and builder of these speakers has invited me to his house to listen to these and some other similar speakers. I will make sure to try them in a room similar to my room and at a similar listening distance. I'm sure these can play loud and dynamic enough (and more, if I'd ever want to) but I'd still like to hear them before buying since it's possible.

I'd show him photos or drawings of your room - which could be invaluable in the choice of appropriate design for your current application. And while you're at it, take along your MarKels - his recommendation for the next step on your quest might not mean retiring them completely.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Mar-Kel70 sounds pretty good even though I was one of the first to build them, right?

Chris built the 1st pair. You built the 1st pr (in 12mm chipboard). High time you rebuilt with decent plywood. And since you have 2 pair (and a need for greater level capability) a set of castle Twin Mar-Kel are probably called for.

dave

I'd show him photos or drawings of your room - which could be invaluable in the choice of appropriate design for your current application. And while you're at it, take along your MarKels - his recommendation for the next step on your quest might not mean retiring them completely.

Yes, I've shown him my room already but I'll make sure he has seen all of it. Can't bring my Mar-Kel70 with me on the train through the whole Sweden. Gothenburg is about 900km away.

Chris built the 1st pair. You built the 1st pr (in 12mm chipboard). High time you rebuilt with decent plywood. And since you have 2 pair (and a need for greater level capability) a set of castle Twin Mar-Kel are probably called for.

dave

If I buy these speakers from him I'll buy some CNC-cut plywood from him for a pair of Mar-Kel70. If he's going to ship a pair of those speakers above as a kit he could just as well send a little more plywood while he's still at it. I guess he wont charge me that much either since he's selling his stuff real cheap. Wont't build any other design than the Mar-Kel70. I want to use the baffles you were so kind to give me.

Yes, I've shown him my room already but I'll make sure he has seen all of it. Can't bring my Mar-Kel70 with me on the train through the whole Sweden. Gothenburg is about 900km away.

sorry I didn't google the specific geography involved - I inferred that you were a 20min drive away from this builder's location

If I buy these speakers from him I'll buy some CNC-cut plywood from him for a pair of Mar-Kel70. If he's going to ship a pair of those speakers above as a kit he could just as well send a little more plywood while he's still at it. I guess he wont charge me that much either since he's selling his stuff real cheap. Wont't build any other design than the Mar-Kel70. I want to use the baffles you were so kind to give me.
If that's the case, he could probably e-mail Dave for a set of dimensioned drawings, rather than re-inventing the wheel or second guessing some of the important details- which we've seen happen with varied success.

gee, didn't someone say that a few months ago?

I doubt a pair of EL70 can handle the dynamics of Hans Zimmer music at loud SPL.

sorry I didn't google the specific geography involved - I inferred that you were a 20min drive away from this builder's location

If that's the case, he could probably e-mail Dave for a set of dimensioned drawings, rather than re-inventing the wheel or second guessing some of the important details- which we've seen happen with varied success.

Sounds like a good idea.

perhaps not, but then you've not heard twin EL70s, particularly in a small room - and on that note, I'll leave it alone

Inception Soundtrack HD - #7 Mombasa (Hans Zimmer) - YouTube
Listen to that. Think that one at cinema-spl. Well, my speakers wont play as loud as the ones at the cinema because I'm sitting a lot nearer and my room is a bit smaller :p But I want to achieve the same effect at listening position and I really doubt that two, even four, EL70 would be able to handle that.

Listen to that. Think that one at cinema-spl. Well, my speakers wont play as loud as the ones at the cinema because I'm sitting a lot nearer and my room is a bit smaller :p But I want to achieve the same effect at listening position and I really doubt that two, even four, EL70 would be able to handle that.

I'll maybe give that a test drive later tonight

disclosure - for experimental purposes, I recently installed a single SDX7 sub in this system last weekend - but haven't got around to a PLLXO HP for the EL70s - the jury's still out as to whether it represents a seamless improvement

And neither will a high efficiency design like that you just posted. Unless you have a dedicated subwoofer system. High efficiency pro woofers usually unload below 60hz. That's song has content down to 20hz, maybe lower. If you want to play that accurately and loud in your room, you need a high efficiency 8" 2-way with subs.

EL70 with proper subs will come close. You need to get the bass taken care of.