Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

By the way, after reading this thread i doubt that CHP70.2 or any full-range would be the choice for dad. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/193247-alpairs-arent-woofers.html

As i said earlier, his hearing is not so good and i doubt that he will need the hi-fi properties that the full-range drivers has. I think i might head over to the multi-way section and create a new thread there.

I'm still sticking to full-range and might add some helper woofers of some sort.

I don't know about the volume limits of the CHR/CHP/EL70 being a problem if you have a sub to limit the driver excursion. Even assuming that they will handle only 10W before complaining, assuming ~83db/W sensitivity in an enclosure like the Mar-Kel70 that is still ~99db in room at 1m minus any room gain, or additional volume from the sub.
So some rough numbers would make it sound like ~95db to ~100db peak in room isn't out of the realm of possibility for a multichannel setup with MarkAudio drivers. Again, that is rough math not accounting for distances, room gain, or the additional volume a subwoofer brings, and at 10W peak power per channel.

I actually had similar concerns when building the Mar-Kel70^2 since they were replacing a 3-way system that got cranked quite a bit. What actually happened was that the overall volume level decreased by 10db~20db because the clarity from the new speakers meant that the volume didn't need to be as high.

I built the speakers for people with hearing problems, and they are used for TV/movie playback without any LFE support from a subwoofer. So again, don't rule them out just yet, especially if you expect a subwoofer to handle the heavy lifting.

I actually had similar concerns when building the Mar-Kel70^2 since they were replacing a 3-way system that got cranked quite a bit. What actually happened was that the overall volume level decreased by 10db~20db because the clarity from the new speakers meant that the volume didn't need to be as high.

Similar experience here; I have an uncle who is 70+ and complained to me that he could not make out the dialogue in movies and TV shows without cranking up the volume really high on his TV. His space is really small, so a 5.1 system would be probably impossible to install. As an experiment I put in a 2.1 system - now he can listen better even though the overall dB level is lower. I tried it out with my TV also - dialogue/commentary on the CHR-Kens are intelligible at a bit lower dB level vs TV speakers.

So long story short, clarity counts; loudness with limited definition/resolution doesn't help much. FR units deliver clear and natural sounding vocals in spades vs other systems I've experienced.

The speakers (centrum-centrum) are about 140cm away from eachother and 27cm from the back wall and pointed inwards slightly.

Removed the cat5 cables and switched back to my supra so i could move the speakers even further apart. Didn't notice any real change in sound (didn't listen that critically).

I'm not surprised. Unless you've got a run long enough to cause significant voltage drop, or considerably boost capacitance / inductance, differences will be minimal, especially over the short term. Supra's zip cords (they probably hate people calling it that, but as far as their entry level products are concerned, which in 99 times out of 100 will be all that is needed, that's exactly what it is) are pretty decent.

Last edited:
Anecdotal or advertisement claims of improved listening and and quality of life experiences aside, the main reason I like to use CAT5 cable (or pairs of individual conductors derived thereof) is the cost - a single 1000ft roll of plenum grade cable from a wholesaler, and costing less than the sales tax on the entry level exotica, has lasted us several years, and works out to nickels a lineal foot.

As with the $1000 power cable, or $2500 power regenerator, I've yet to hear the money's worth of difference for myself - that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or others haven't experienced it.

Anecdotal or advertisement claims of improved listening and and quality of life experiences aside, the main reason I like to use CAT5 cable (or pairs of individual conductors derived thereof) is the cost - a single 1000ft roll of plenum grade cable from a wholesaler, and costing less than the sales tax on the entry level exotica, has lasted us several years, and works out to nickels a lineal foot.

As with the $1000 power cable, or $2500 power regenerator, I've yet to hear the money's worth of difference for myself - that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or others haven't experienced it.

I can get cat5e internet cables at school at lengths of 2-3m for free if i'd like to. Very much bang for the buck, so to speak.

Re power cables, i fully agree with you :)

I find the solid is a bit easier to strip work with than 24G stranded (and it sounds better :wink:

- "riser" would refer to the use of the cable in wall /ceiling plenums and cable chase trays were the extra flexibility of stranded is not so important.

Ahh, what we in Sweden call EKK-cable. I have never tried it for speakers. But i have used it when helping my dad renovating a house. They're very easy to strip, even with a knife, but is slightly more difficult to put into an electric wall outlet (especially with short cables).

I have read about people comparing EKK to Cat5e and they say EKK is better for bass but makes the mids and highs a little less good. But cat5e makes mids and highs better but makes bass a little less good.

There is a guy who built the Troels DTQWT and he uses EKK for the woofers and Cat5 for mids and highs.

Just hooked them up for what I though would be a quick listen. I sat there in a very uncomfortable position in front of my amplifier for 20 minutes.
I hooked them up with my Cat5e wires and placed them on top of my amplifier, around 30cm from eachother. I was sitting maybe 40-50cm away from them and oh god it sounded great! Ofcourse there was no bass and lower mids were lacking a little, but hey it was open-air. The mid-range was magical. I listened to both Diana Krall and Alison Krauss and it was great! Can't wait to put these in a box!