Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

It sounds like the company fishing derby is a pretty serious event.
Also, I wouldn't recommend the unit if I didn't love it to death. I liked it before I used the room correction, after ARC was set up you couldn't get it away from me. You probably have a kidney you can sell if you don't want to collect the empties. It doesn't even need to be your own.

I've had an interesting week.

Listened to some very high-end speakers.
For en example the MBL X-treme and Focal Scala Grand Utopia.
The MBL speakers had an amazing soundstage and overall the best sound i've ever heard (beating JBL D66000, Wilson Maxx3, Peak Consult Dragon). I didn't listen very much to the Focal (only some Infected Mushroom) but the bass was not like anything i've ever heard before. It was awesome.

I had a talk with one of the guys working in the shop regarding open baffles and speakers spreading the sound 360 degrees like the MBL. I asked if you had to have a specific room for such speakers, he said no. Because the amount of energy of a conventional loudspeaker is mostly sent forward, so lots of energy hits a small space giving strong reflections. With a speaker like the MBL or an open baffle the same amount of energy is spread onto a larger surface, so there's less energy hitting every cm^2 and thus giving weaker reflections and less sound problems.

He told me that when i listened to Infected Mushroom (the song Never Ever Land) on the MBL and then on the Focal Grand Utopia (which were in an almost perfect room) and noticed that Infected Mushroom sounded better on the Focal, but all other music i tried sounded better on the MBL.

He said that computer-produced music like Infected Mushroom usually sounds better on conventional loudspeakers. But all music that is recorded in a room sounded better on the MBL since it was spreading the sound even more.

I also asked him about open baffle woofers. He said they didn't need more of the room than a conventional subwoofer. You guys said they did and it would probably not fit into my room.

I'm a little split here. I know you guys know a lot but that guy actually had a quite good point (the same amount of energy hitting a larger surface and thus weaker reflections).

I chose to actually listen to him because he wasn't trying to sell stuff to me like the people in all other hifi-stores.

What do you have to say about this?

When I lay out the treatment regimen for EnABL'd drivers I always perform the listening portion with the drivers nude on a stand. This is by far the most revealing format for a driver. I think it is also the most natural sound that can be had from an EnABL'd driver.

Chrisb is hopefully planning to provide me with what I think will be the ultimate speaker mount sometime in the relatively near future. This will be a nude mounting of a Lowther PM6A and an Emminence Delta 8 to cover the range from ~80 Hz to 300 Hz and then on to 20 kHz with the Lowther. As good as Scott Lindgren, Chrisb and Dave D's Fonken Prime cabinets are, I do think that everyone that has EnABL'd drivers should listen to them without any cabinet at least once. You will be astonished at their performance, I promise you.

Bud

Is it doomed to fail if i place a pair of OB speakers in my room?
I've read some stuff on the quarter-wave website (like two documents about designing an OB speaker) and it seems to be something that may fit me well.

Something like an Eminence Alpha-15A in a H-frame and then if EL70 works i'll use them or swap them for some MA-drivers maybe?

A quick off-topic question. Would it be possible to use one or two Alpair 10.2 for a center-channel speaker (a quite tiny box)? My dad is planning to build a center-channel and the Alpair 10.2 costs only €99/each at blue planet audio. I also saw they had both the black and the white EL166 (or woofer 6) for just €19/each. If dad is about to buy some A10.2 i may just order two woofers too (probably starting with that).

1 A10.2 is suggested for centre, he will need 2 more for LR.

Interesting to note that BP's sale price is more than NA retail.

dave

Will one A10.2 be able to give a proper "depth" to the voices? (thinking dark strong male voices like batman sort of)

Not sure if he is going to build some LR speakers too. Just looked up the size of the A10.2 Pensil and it would actually fit as for LR speakers. But i don't know if Markaudio is the right type of drivers for him and if the Onkyo SR-607 will be good enough (if crossed over at 80Hz or something).

Edit: Regarding the BP sale price i think it's higher due to extra taxes and fees in europe. I just looked at what a pair of A10.2 would cost from madisound that that was around 2500SEK. From blueplanet it would cost around 1900-2000SEK.
When buying from BP i don't have to pay the swedish VAT (25% uggh), no customs, no superexpensive shipping and no fee to the post office.

Re the EL166 - more than a few folks were surprised by the prodigious LF output of a pair of these per side in the MTMs at last week's event, but it wasn't a tiny box.

We wired these to allow for playing with external passive XO/ bi-amping etc - I'd imagine something like this could be configured for video with EL, CHP or CHR70 in the same enclosure running as the "small" L&R mains, with a matching single as center channel.

As I've previously noted, I'm more than happy with the A7 in my set-up, but have not yet had occasion to directly compare the A7 to EL / CHP70 in same sized enclosure for such an application. In a situation where the enclosure for the most important channel (center) will need "magic" to fit the available space, I'd be inclined to try the next smaller size that is known to work well, and wouldn't need to be shoe-horned into a compromised enclosure.

In other words, I'd think about opting for the CHP70 and 2x2 EL166 woofers for the front 3.1. I have no experience as to whether dual "full-range" drivers of any size for the center channel would work as well as you'd like.

Chrisb,

I got my CHP-70 pair for integrating them into the EL166 MLTL - if you can get a headstart on the build, It will be good to know your experiences with them. :)

Also have CHR-70s in case the CHP-70 treble seems to soft.

Zia - my plate's a bit full at the moment - I'll let you take the lead on this one :)

Keep in mind that our build was with the now discontinued FF85K. FWIW, I think the new WK would work equally as well - but Dave would probably need to cogitate a bit on a version of this dual driver MLTL with a MA in the wideband position

or EL70. but they ar eclearing out CHP as well?

dave

Blue Planet does not sell EL70. But aren't CHP-70 quite the same driver?

Considering the bass output of the EL70 and their cone area and xmax i think one or two EL166 would be well enough. I don't listen to music on my speakers so much nowadays and i have to save money for travels.

If i am about to build something i want it to be cheap. Buying four EL166 won't be that expensive, i could live with that. And the cabinet material. But i'd need amplification. I have an active crossover which could be used but for that i would need another amplifier, which would cost me quite a bit. Any recommendations?
A passive crossover would be okay too, but i guess that would cost some (i could sell the Reckhorn S-1) and wouldn't be as good as active (i don't think i would hear the difference).

Had a quite cool experience today. At my grandfather's funeral we were in a small church-like building with concrete walls and a high curved ceiling and the singer was standing on the "visitor-place" in the back of the church singing. It sounded so good! The singer had a powerful good voice and the acoustics were really cool! Wouldn't fit well for speakers, but for singing it was very amazing.

Re the EL166 - more than a few folks were surprised by the prodigious LF output of a pair of these per side in the MTMs at last week's event, but it wasn't a tiny box.

We wired these to allow for playing with external passive XO/ bi-amping etc - I'd imagine something like this could be configured for video with EL, CHP or CHR70 in the same enclosure running as the "small" L&R mains, with a matching single as center channel.

As I've previously noted, I'm more than happy with the A7 in my set-up, but have not yet had occasion to directly compare the A7 to EL / CHP70 in same sized enclosure for such an application. In a situation where the enclosure for the most important channel (center) will need "magic" to fit the available space, I'd be inclined to try the next smaller size that is known to work well, and wouldn't need to be shoe-horned into a compromised enclosure.

In other words, I'd think about opting for the CHP70 and 2x2 EL166 woofers for the front 3.1. I have no experience as to whether dual "full-range" drivers of any size for the center channel would work as well as you'd like.