Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Spending more time looking at some of the posts about F.A.S.T. systems makes me wonder about a taller floor standing twin EL70 with SDX7 woofers and passive radiators. I have no plans to do that at any point in the near future, but it would be quite interesting given how small a cabinet you can use for the SDX7. That and my dislike for pretty much every ported subwoofer I have ever heard also makes me wonder about a design using those parts.
But first, I have to get better weather so I can do something productive.

Spending more time looking at some of the posts about F.A.S.T. systems makes me wonder about a taller floor standing twin EL70 with SDX7 woofers and passive radiators. I have no plans to do that at any point in the near future, but it would be quite interesting given how small a cabinet you can use for the SDX7. That and my dislike for pretty much every ported subwoofer I have ever heard also makes me wonder about a design using those parts.

Yes, i feel the same. I prefer a little less bass but it is informative and wont destroy the music. I feel my EL70 plays the bass well, but maybe too little headroom, dynamics and "pressure".

And the weather... It was -26c when i walked to school yesterday :)

I recommend keepng the SDX7 sealed... besides a PR system is a BR.

dave

Aye. AFAIK sealed bass means a little less depth and maybe SPL but it sounds better and "faster". That's pretty much what i'm looking for. If i want infrabass i could stille use my 10" woofers... Don't think i'll use them though, maybe in a car in two years.

Just -19c so time to walk to school once again...

Been there. When it got that cold we used to get to take lunch to school. I'm happy to live in Canada's banana belt now.

dave

you had to jinx it - yesterday morning between 8-12" snow and last night wind chill of -15C in our backyard - nothing to compare with "real" winter but definitely didn't feel sub-tropical either :rolleyes:

but believe it or not I saw someone running on the paved traffic section of Veterans Parkway (i.e. not the uncleared sidewalk) yesterday afternoon on my way home from work - obviously on a training run for the next 10K community event - gloves & toque, but regular running tights and jacket

I'd be inclined to consider duals of smaller mid/tweeter (e.g. Alpair 6M or 6P) in a single enclosure design integrating woofer(s) such as SDX7. A pair of the smaller widebanders should be more than capable of digging as low in the upper mid bass as you'd likely be XOing over.

While technically the Alpairs or Fostex FF85K/FE83, Fountek FR88 etc (pick your flavor favorite) are full-range drivers, you'd definitely want to high-pass them to gain dynamic headroom. Fixed line level passive and active bi-amping would also garner numerous benefits, and unless you're using Feastrex field coil drivers and AudioNote electronics doesn't need to invoke a second mortgage or black market sale of body parts.

I understand that a passive radiator system is a bass reflex, it just avoids some of the issue with ports. I am under the possibly mistaken belief that passive radiators don't have port noise and avoid the additional group delay that ports have. I would have to play with one to see how it works out. My idea would be to get the additional low frequency extension, not so much as a way to remove some bass duty from the twin EL70 woofers.
Maybe what I would need is twin EL70 drivers, sealed SDX7 woofers, and an additional subwoofer for that last octave.

I understand that a passive radiator system is a bass reflex, it just avoids some of the issue with ports. I am under the possibly mistaken belief that passive radiators don't have port noise and avoid the additional group delay that ports have. I would have to play with one to see how it works out. My idea would be to get the additional low frequency extension, not so much as a way to remove some bass duty from the twin EL70 woofers.
Maybe what I would need is twin EL70 drivers, sealed SDX7 woofers, and an additional subwoofer for that last octave.

Clearly I assumed it was understood there are substantial improvements to be garnered by relieving a widebander of the excursion at lower frequencies of which it is otherwise "capable" - including increased dynamic capability and midrange clarity. Gentle line level filtering ( 1st order) and direct "active" amplification can work very well for this.

Regardless of your approach with mains, additional "sub" woofer(s) can always be considered for that last octave, once you've actually verified the need.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
you had to jinx it - yesterday morning between 8-12" snow and last night wind chill of -15C in our backyard - nothing to compare with "real" winter but definitely didn't feel sub-tropical either

The snow was on the grond when i posted :), in a turn around of usual events, we up on the mountain got half the snow, and with little or no wind chill hit -3 last nite.

gloves & toque, but regular running tights and jacket

Saw a guy shoveling sidewalks in a t-shirt & shorts.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I understand that a passive radiator system is a bass reflex, it just avoids some of the issue with ports. I am under the possibly mistaken belief that passive radiators don't have port noise and avoid the additional group delay that ports have.

And brings a few issues of its own to the table. I believe (i'm no PR expert) but slignments that usually include PRs have more group delay.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On tuesday, one of my friends had no hat on his head when walking to school. It's a little more than 1km and it was -18c, a little snowfall and some slight winds.

When i was a crazy teen living in the flatlands, i'd get of swim practise and walk the mile home, no hat, in that kind of temperature... you hair gets a bit crunchy.

dave

Clearly I assumed it was understood there are substantial improvements to be garnered by relieving a widebander of the excursion at lower frequencies of which it is otherwise "capable" - including increased dynamic capability and midrange clarity. Gentle line level filtering ( 1st order) and direct "active" amplification can work very well for this.

Regardless of your approach with mains, additional "sub" woofer(s) can always be considered for that last octave, once you've actually verified the need.

I do understand that not making a full range driver move heavily to deal with low bass will improve performance. Getting rid of the large cone movement means it can do a better job controlling the small movement. This is just an idle idea of how to extend performance of main speakers. Active crossovers and direct amplification of each segment would be the plan, but experimentation in whatever room I would put it in would be necessary. That of course assumes that it is even necessary, which it might not be. I still need to build the stock plan before I even consider anything else.

I currently use Gallo A'Diva Ti speakers because I needed something pretty decent but it had to be small. As a result, its crossed over at about 120hz with a sealed sub sitting between the speakers. It works quite well and I really do enjoy that setup.
I don't know how the EL70 will perform in a Mar-Kel type enclosure since I still need to build such a thing, so experimentation would be key for me. The twin EL70 isn't for myself anyways, so it gets left alone as a stock configuration. If it turns out well its a consideration for future ideas. For now I just get to enjoy building it, which is half the fun.

On the topic of group delay for passive radiators, I was under the impression from the limited reading that I had done that ported designs did have increased group delay, but passive radiators did not impose the same penalty. The two main drawback was the frequency notch at the resonance frequency of the passive radiator and a faster rolloff after that point. I could be wrong, and if I am I would actually like to be corrected, the more I know the better.

I do appreciate all of the feedback and information being presented. Knowing more about the reasons behind design decisions is both enjoyable and helpful.

Today the weather was awesome. On one of our lessons we went outside to take some photos, i did that in t-shirt. So nice weather, around -5c and sunny. Could've been out there for hours lol.

Well, listening to The Shortest Straw with Metallica and it sounds like i have two 10" subs or something pounding in my room. Not so much pressure but the sound is definately there!

Today the weather was awesome. On one of our lessons we went outside to take some photos, i did that in t-shirt. So nice weather, around -5c and sunny. Could've been out there for hours lol.

Well, listening to The Shortest Straw with Metallica and it sounds like i have two 10" subs or something pounding in my room. Not so much pressure but the sound is definately there!

give 'em a work-out with Rodrigo y Gabriela - "STH" and particularly "Orion"