Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Where are the other 2 corners... i'm prepared to rearrange your room, even if you aren't. Gotta get your priorities right

dave

ya beat me to the punch on that

short of starting over with a particular model of dual driver floorstander that I may have mentioned before :rolleyes:, and which I'd opine wouldn't need woofers in a room this size, if there's any way you could manage to hang wall shelves, I'd be very inclined to try one on the wall adjacent to the left side of the window and the other to the right of the computer desk

the boundary reinforcement would be slightly compromised by the window, but overall I think you'd get much better and more evenly distributed LF, and improved image/soundstage from the primary listening position

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the pictures are taken from near the listening position at head of the bed which is tight to the side wall, so one corner is behind, and that the door we see opens too close the wall on the left side, which means we've already seen all the available corners.

but I could be all wet about that

any photos of the as yet unseen corners?

I thought they were visible... But okay, taking some new photos then...

ImageShack Album - 4 images

This is four corners, i haven't got any more :D

I have been thinking of near-field, placing the speakers on my desktop, but i would have to fit an amplifier somewhere AND a subwoofer and i'm unsure how it would be with having it under my desk... No, i think i prefer having them at the wall left of me.

I thought they were visible... But okay, taking some new photos then...

ImageShack Album - 4 images

This is four corners, i haven't got any more :D

I have been thinking of near-field, placing the speakers on my desktop, but i would have to fit an amplifier somewhere AND a subwoofer and i'm unsure how it would be with having it under my desk... No, i think i prefer having them at the wall left of me.

Well I guess I was close on the configuration of the room, but mistook your primary listening position - it's actually from the (wall mounted?) computer desk?

IINM, I probably would have suggested the smaller mMarKel for a room this size - much easier to mount on small book / wall shelf, and still a decent performer.

You may not have yet decided what form factor your next step should take, and as I see it there are 2 directions you could try.

First would be to simply to mount the existing (or even smaller mMarKel) cabs on the current wall, spaced further apart, and place the sub in the corner near the window.

Second would be floorstanders, either something like a Pensil (very easy build), or if you're contemplating a second pair of drivers, the design that Dave posted a few back, or the castle microtowers. I'll say again that unless you're a total bass-head or play an electric guitar through the system, 4 EL70s in a room this size could well eliminate the need for a powered woofer.

Yes, it's at the wall-mounted computer desk :)
I wont have them on any shelf. Speaker stands is what it is supposed to be... My parents wouldn't allow mounting on a wall. And if i place anything near the corner i get the soundstage way over to the corner. Really annoying...

Yes. But if i build a EL70^2 floorstander i will add a bottom cabinet i think IF i want to add a woofer. And i would have to make them quite much higher anyways so...

Yes, it's at the wall-mounted computer desk :)
I wont have them on any shelf. Speaker stands is what it is supposed to be... My parents wouldn't allow mounting on a wall. And if i place anything near the corner i get the soundstage way over to the corner. Really annoying...

Yes. But if i build a EL70^2 floorstander i will add a bottom cabinet i think IF i want to add a woofer. And i would have to make them quite much higher anyways so...

I'd like to try and get the speakers as far apart as possible without biasing the soundstage due to asymmetrical boundary loading. If you were to run a long shelf across the top of the dresser how close to the window could you get without that happening?

If you fake the height of the dual EL70 enough ( i.e. section off with internal divider), you can turn it into a floorstander without the need for separate stands, and probably have enough internal volume for a small woofer in each - even if they're added later, 'cause you need to hear how much LF energy 4 EL70s can create in the right cabinet a small room before deciding it's not enough. (did I say that already? :rolleyes:)

I'd like to try and get the speakers as far apart as possible without biasing the soundstage due to asymmetrical boundary loading. If you were to run a long shelf across the top of the dresser how close to the window could you get without that happening?

If you fake the height of the dual EL70 enough ( i.e. section off with internal divider), you can turn it into a floorstander without the need for separate stands, and probably have enough internal volume for a small woofer in each - even if they're added later, 'cause you need to hear how much LF energy 4 EL70s can create in the right cabinet a small room before deciding it's not enough. (did I say that already? :rolleyes:)

Yes, i also want to get them as far from eachother as possible. How do you mean with running a long shelf across the dresser? Yeah, i will make it possible to just cut a hole in the bottom chamber and put in a woofer easily. I am sure that 4 EL70 will do lots of bass but not sure if it will suit me enough ;)
What would the sensitivity of the EL70^2 floorstander be?

Yes, i also want to get them as far from eachother as possible. How do you mean with running a long shelf across the dresser?

I meant as an experiment if you were to balance a plank of solid wood or rip of ply/particle board about 6ft long on the dresser, with the receiver / turntable sitting on top.

Yeah, i will make it possible to just cut a hole in the bottom chamber and put in a woofer easily. I am sure that 4 EL70 will do lots of bass but not sure if it will suit me enough ;)
What would the sensitivity of the EL70^2 floorstander be?
well the simple math for the efficiency would be 86dBx2= 89dB @1w @ 1 meter, but the engineered "hump" in FR from approx 100 to 500+Hz for BSC compensation contributes to the sensation of more than that

don't forget the driver's impedance of nominally 3.6R each - a lot of amps would be more comfortable with two of these in series rather than parallel

I meant as an experiment if you were to balance a plank of solid wood or rip of ply/particle board about 6ft long on the dresser, with the receiver / turntable sitting on top.

well the simple math for the efficiency would be 86dBx2= 89dB @1w @ 1 meter, but the engineered "hump" in FR from approx 100 to 500+Hz for BSC compensation contributes to the sensation of more than that

don't forget the driver's impedance of nominally 3.6R each - a lot of amps would be more comfortable with two of these in series rather than parallel

Ah, now i see ;) I think i got a quite big piece of something out in the garage. Like my desk but a little longer. Maybe i could try that some day...

I would probably wire them in series to get like 7.2ohm, friendlier to the amp ;)

Well, if you get them completed before I do I hope to hear how about how great they sound. I am slow so you probably have a couple months before I even have drivers in cabinets.

Well, i'm not even sure if i will build anything yet. Got to see if it would be possible to have them in my room at all. If i build it will probably take maybe 4 months before i start.

By the way. Are you sure that four EL70 will give the right "impact". I mean, it's not that much cone-area really. 201.2cm2 if i remember correctly... Compared to one single 8" woofer which is ~324cm2.

well, of course the only way to be sure is to hear it for yourself - everyone's concept or sensation of "right" will be different - (just ask a car audio SPL competitor to discuss with a chamber music performer the requisite need to liquefy the contents of your colon with sound waves)

I doubt that even amongst the more sane and gentle mannered members ;) of these fora that consensus on the metric or values could be found.

well, of course the only way to be sure is to hear it for yourself - everyone's concept or sensation of "right" will be different - (just ask a car audio SPL competitor to discuss with a chamber music performer the requisite need to liquefy the contents of your colon with sound waves)

I doubt that even amongst the more sane and gentle mannered members ;) of these fora that consensus on the metric or values could be found.

Yeah, everything is relative... I talked to a guy today who said that he first got happy when he got his two SVS pb13ultra subwoofers. His old Velodyne didn't give much impact he said, haha...

Well, i guess you still need much more conearea than i will get if you want that real impact. The Lindell Audio speakers (their biggest) had loads of impact with 5.25 (or was it even 6.5") drivers but i think it was 4 per speaker. Although they costed more than a brand new BMW 320XD...

But do you think it's worth the money to buy a pair of SDX7 or should i wait? I'm not even sure yet if i'll build it. But thinking and planning is never bad ;)