Manu's HK Tower & ZM's Silver Turm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

Manu will tell how his HK sounds (ditto from box , untouched , with all these years on shoulders , without any tweak ) comparing to his A5

I didn't fired up my yet , except on the bench ;
anyway - I tested ( repaired ) one combo few years ago - that's why I had idea to pursuing them

for testing purposes , I tried it in clipping too ;
you can imaging how heavy clip is - 80Vpp , with enough sine input (at 440Hz) that looks almost as perfect square :rofl:

OK - I cheated - without load on output

edit :

plan is - to exchange all resistors to MF , tweak input resistance , check dissipation of predrivers , change input cap , decrease Iq ( to burning hand point ~ 40-50W/channel) tweak value of 1uF cap across Vbe multiplier ( bias xistor) ;

after that - preamp - HK725 ; it's in fact very nice discrete OP with Jfet input ;

maybe I'll call it DOSNS10 - Death Of Steen's NS10 ....... :clown:

Sounds like a great plan. Did you find a datasheet for those 2SK106's? Making a quikky search didnt return one. I only found a spec. sheet.

That is a terrific name for it:D

:cool:

Attachments

• sk106.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
I had the pleasure of owning this 10 years ago...Easy, non-fatiguing stereo sound on most music; nice movie Dolby Pro-Logic function...I'd love to own one again for sentimental reasons.

Attachments

• hk avr20 mkii.jpg
    hk avr20 mkii.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 322
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
after many moons - I have some conclusions :

preamp is hopeless piece of junk - in stock form :clown:

what's needed - better PSU , decreasing really excessive gain , changing all resistors to plain MF vanilla ( even if for just few criticall ones ) , getting rid of caps in signal path , adjusting output offset .....

amp - even with decent zero gain pre , decent block cap instead of crummy elco on input - it' also over sensitive on input;

what's needed ........ except changing resistors , and decreasing overall gain ...... is something like this ( just rough sketch ) :

Attachments

• hk770 change.jpg
    hk770 change.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 313
Zen Mod said:
after many moons - I have some conclusions :

preamp is hopeless piece of junk - in stock form :clown:

what's needed - better PSU , decreasing really excessive gain , changing all resistors to plain MF vanilla ( even if for just few criticall ones ) , getting rid of caps in signal path , adjusting output offset .....

amp - even with decent zero gain pre , decent block cap instead of crummy elco on input - it' also over sensitive on input;

what's needed ........ except changing resistors , and decreasing overall gain ...... is something like this ( just rough sketch ) :

Well ... you never sleep...
:)

Mebbe I should open this piece of junk ...
BTW : What is better than Junk ... The most ordinary, common place, and humble object of our daily dissmissal.
:D

Speaking of junk ... I am just somewhat grumpy today ... just changed my habibi Renault 25 against hugly (beurk-green) Citroen Xsara (the name alone ...) imagine my mood ..

Manu

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

Well ... you never sleep...
:)

Mebbe I should open this piece of junk ...
BTW : What is better than Junk ... The most ordinary, common place, and humble object of our daily dissmissal.
:D

Speaking of junk ... I am just somewhat grumpy today ... just changed my habibi Renault 25 against hugly (beurk-green) Citroen Xsara (the name alone ...) imagine my mood ..

Manu

you didn't made recently major overhauling/repair of habibi 25 ?

:bawling:

(btw, rust never sleeps ..... )

ZM, I would try to (referring to sch. from post #48 of this thread) remove CFP pairs (Q422/Q426 and Q420/Q424) and put nice simple emitter followers to drive the output BJTs.
I never liked the sonics of CFP, it always sounds limited, tightened, lifeless, EF is a better choice to me...
Also, I would take out output BJTs and use IRFP240/9140 (in EF topology) which could be driven directly from Q414/Q416 (with, let's say, 10 mA running through them). That way you don't need pre-drivers at all (gain from cascoded JC-2 is more than enough)....

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
juma said:
ZM, I would try to (referring to sch. from post #48 of this thread) remove CFP pairs (Q422/Q426 and Q420/Q424) and put nice simple emitter followers to drive the output BJTs.
I never liked the sonics of CFP, it always sounds limited, tightened, lifeless, EF is a better choice to me...
Also, I would take out output BJTs and use IRFP240/9140 (in EF topology) which could be driven directly from Q414/Q416 (with, let's say, 10 mA running through them). That way you don't need pre-drivers at all (gain from cascoded JC-2 is more than enough)....

well - dissmantling CFPs ..... OK , but changing outputs ......... :clown:

completely out of any previous intention hehe

but - who knows ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.