Manger open baffle mounting techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This was an absolute beast to build, but OMG it sounded fab...

Beyma Pro 12 inch driver : 20Hz to 100Hz, in sealed Corian box
Volt BM 2500.4 : 100Hz to 400Hz in VPL open baffle.
Manger 400Hz up : Sealed polymer teardrop cabinet with multiple layers of 5 different dampening materials and 3 different soft fibre stuffing.

Controlled by ultra modified DEQX and 6 channel DAC in a twin box design incorporated with Sistrum rack....Exhaustive development and engineering...So glad I am not in the ultra high end game any more!
I can concur with that. I heard the setup a few times and it sounded wonderful after some additional work with the crossover settings. Music was just flowing and it was so addictive.

A bit off-topic, but hope it's ok to ask here. Can you share a bit on how you modified the DEQX? I've personally testet the newest DEQX HDP-4 and found it lacking some compared to my Lynx Two-B soundcard. It had both a small veil over the sound and sticking out some in the highs.

I've also tried GroundSound, miniDSP 4x10Hd and now Hypex DLCP. The Hypex DLCP sounds great and is IMO the best sonically despite of a pretty low price. Something you might want to look into. Software is still under development but works ok today.

Would also be interesting to hear how the hornloaded Manger measured. You mentioned the data didn't look good. Could that primarily be related to the type of horn and avoided by using another?

DEQX mods

Hi Omholt,

Thanks for your kind words about the Overkill system and sorry been slow to reply...Not enough time in the day right now!

Basically the DEQX I used (about 6 years ago I think) had fantastic software and a unique set of DSP abilities that still stands head and shoulders above most....Dolby Lake was better but has been assimilated by Lab Groupen and is NLA...

But everything else about the DEQX was, IMO, low grade computer build and not up to high end audio ( or Pro Studio) applications...
I only OEM'd the bare boards and only used the digital in and digital out sections.
All the DEQX DAC's A to D, power supply, case work connections and cabling was really crap!
After a few years of telling them this ( & several other OEM's!) they upgraded the DEQX with better power supplies, DAC's, connectors and casework.

But still my advice is buy a second hand one and use :
(1) Battery power
(2) Your own DAC's & A to D if you need one
(3) High quality connectors & cabling

That will result in an expensive but astonishingly pure and musical loudspeaker control unit.

I LOVE mini DSP...Best sub $300 around, but a tricked out DEQX really is beyond comparison...
The Mangers sounded great in the 600mm diameter shallow horns, but measured with a lot of peaks and dips...
Some other guys who DIY'd Manger horns said the same and Daniela Manger thinks its BMR Vs pistonic sound generation that causes low level off axis sounds to mess up the measurements.
Never developed it any further as the horns were simply too big and ugly to use in the domestic market...Still got them in storage, buyer collects!!

All the best
Derek.

Here's another speaker that uses the bending wave principle. Göbel.
attachment.php

With a low crossover and complete coverage of the vocal with the bending wave driver, the sound is encredible coherent. Just too bad the effiency isn't higher. I missed the transient response and dynamics of horn.
Welcome to GÖBEL - Revolutionary Bending Wave Technology

I listened to these very expensive (115k) speakers. Quite good highs and mids but the bass was not well integrated at all and sounded at least in the demo room pretty uncontrolled. There are several very positive reviews in the press but no single measurement of these speakers. Goebel performs also acoustic measurements as a service but refuses to publish the one of his own speaker.

I listened to these very expensive (115k) speakers. Quite good highs and mids but the bass was not well integrated at all and sounded at least in the demo room pretty uncontrolled. There are several very positive reviews in the press but no single measurement of these speakers. Goebel performs also acoustic measurements as a service but refuses to publish the one of his own speaker.
The bass was well integrated when I listened to them at the Munich show. I listened to the smallest version.
Most likely you heard room modes.

They are not very dynamic though but the cohesiveness is awesome and thus a great vocal presentation is certaintly present.

Attachments

• Munchen 2013 146 (Custom).JPG
    Munchen 2013 146 (Custom).JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 188
A spherical baffle sounds like a good idea. It would avoid the problems of box resonances. Btw, that driver looks great. :) It would be really interesting to hear it.
I've been using a speaker called "The Egg" (Dayton Wright / Leigh Instruments) since the early 1980s; today, I use my 4 speakers for TV sound. Here's a link to an unblushing knock-off of the egg-shaped concept by a guy claiming he thought of it first for a commercial loudspeaker:

sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System White - sE Electronics

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.