MANGER driver

slr 5000 said:
hi all
as promised heres some pics
ive only ran them with the manger full range so far as i still have not got a crossover so i have not heard the bass drivers as yet

they are in a frosted finish instead of clear
the finish looks uneven in the pics but its just the light and my grotty finger marks all over them

Uhm... you put the Manger in the VPL frame. I think you should measure it (alone) and see if it sounds right for you.

BTW, I'm really thinking to get a pair after summer. I'm not being happy of the sound of my Hemps, and I believe the reason is high distortion.

Keep us posted about the chosen crossing freq. I think it must be around 250hz min.

hi mate
crossover freq will be between 300 to 400hz
im using a xilica hp 2040 crossover so i have plenty of options

derek from overkill recomended housing the manger in a vpl cab
i have listened to it in these cabs and it sounds very promising

i will also be taking a vpl sharkbite out of the top plate above the manger a bit at a time untill the sound is perfect

regards sheafer

slr 5000 said:
hi mate
crossover freq will be between 300 to 400hz
im using a xilica hp 2040 crossover so i have plenty of options

derek from overkill recomended housing the manger in a vpl cab
i have listened to it in these cabs and it sounds very promising

i will also be taking a vpl sharkbite out of the top plate above the manger a bit at a time untill the sound is perfect

regards sheafer

Are you sure that he recommended to put also the MSW in the VPL frame? IIRC it was intended only for the midbass.

Anyway, good luck with the testing, I'll be following this closely. The baffles look slick too :)

Telstar said:

Are you sure that he recommended to put also the MSW in the VPL frame? IIRC it was intended only for the midbass.

Ditto! Manger are usually in a sealed enclosure (with as much as possible done to "kill" the backwave. If mounted open, I'd make sure it's a REALLY steep slope, which is probably not a problem if you're using a DSP crossover...

-Tal

hi telstar

yes i am suprised, a lot more output from the rear than i expected

the soundstage is also a lot more vast and deep using the manger ob as opposed to sealed

there is just a slight echo sound though which i beleive is due to the vpl wings and top plate being a little too deep around the manger shrouding it too much (300mm deep at the top plate )

i think once i reduce this back to around 100mm the echo will dissapear
regards sheafer

Well done Seafer!

Hi Sheafer,

Hi Sheafer,

You are about to enter a whole new world of musical realism.....aint it great!

All the "Manger experts" will shout "sacrilege how can you...."
"....sealed box, passive crossover, thats how my daddy did it in 1980....."
Experts like Calvin (not worth replying to him due to his total lack of understanding about the Manger bending wave principal or conventional pistonic motion) will tell you why it cant sound any good.... But now you know the truth.

Does your Xilica crossover have the same functionality as the DEQX?
I recommend a 300Hz crossover for SPL up to about 95dB peaks and 400Hz crossover for all "party on Garth" SPL's.
You will need to take a deep shark bite out of the 300mm deep top. Bring it down to about 100mm to 125mm at the shallowest point. If you were using timber (Bamboo ply wood is superb and a third of the price of Acrylic) you could hang various acoustic curtains behind the Manger. This will reduce the back wave which is useful if you have the speakers close to the rear wall. If you have 8 feet more behind the speakers the back wave adds to the realism.
Remember if you have a singer / piano / drum kit etc playing in your room their back waves add to the realism too...!!
Still very short of time so sorry about the lack of posting recently.
Once you have finished testing , running in, positioning, tweaking etc I will come back with more feedback.

Congratulations for risking your hard earned cash on a design that "cant work"!!
"He who dares wins" ....

Cheers

Derek.

Re: Well done Seafer!

Overkill Audio said:

If you were using timber (Bamboo ply wood is superb and a third of the price of Acrylic) you could hang various acoustic curtains behind the Manger. This will reduce the back wave which is useful if you have the speakers close to the rear wall. If you have 8 feet more behind the speakers the back wave adds to the realism.

Hi Derek,

Good advice. I noticed improved in sound after adding damping material (not using MSW yet).

Got a supplier of bamboo plywood in europe? (post here or send pm)

Bamboo & Rainforest Audio

Hi Telstar,

I was quoted for a pallet load of 20mm sheets and it was about twice the price of good birch ply.
I will try and find the UK importer. I just Googled it.
Because bamboo is a grass not a tree it has different physical properties as well as sonic / acoustic properties. It’s very good!
Great shelves, racks , amp stands etc.
I love it because it’s just about the only sustainable building material and I am a full on "Planet Before Profit" guy.

Now is as good a time as any to announce what I have been planning for over a year and disclosed in a few private emails a couple of months ago.
I am getting close to launching a new DIY audio site that is going to donate all its profits to eco-system and biodiversity protection.
"Rainforest Audio" will give away everything of value I have learned in audio, plus, I hope some other likeminded audio designers, amateur or professional, active or retired, will contribute worthy technology.
The basic concept will be this:
(1) All designs, speakers, amps (no class A here boys!), crossovers, solid state CD, DVD & Hi Def players ( yes I have one of those...!) will be sold at cost plus 35% to 50%.
(2) All prices, parts, materials, labour, packaging etc will be 100% openly and honestly published online! No hidden BS snake oil audiophile industry destroying marketing lies.
(3) ALL THE PROFITS WILL GO TO CERTIFIED 20 YEAR RAINFOREST / ECO-SYSTEM PROJECTS RUN BY A REGISTERED CHARITY. This means that you will be able to buy DIY kits or partially assembled units which will be CARBON NUETRAL and help preserve bio-diversity.
(4) This equipment will leave for dead the vast majority of commercial systems at any price. I believe that for any given price point and from any ethical / environmental stance Rainforest Audio will be unbeatable.

The website should be ready in August with the first range of speakers and crossovers shipping in September / October.
If there are any other designers out there who can contribute to the product range please get in touch.
The site will also be a one stop shop for the up-to-date facts on Climate Change, sustainable production of Hydrogen using renewable (CPC, Solar, wave & tidal), Nuclear and an amazing roof top mounted Ducted Fan Wind Turbine. More to follow....

All the best

Derek

hi all
thanks for your help so far derek and also everyone else who has commented

i will take the extra shark bite out of the top plate today and listen some more

the crossover im using for this setup is the xilica 2040
it comes as the boards only which you then fit into your own case
it uses a 12v supply which ill be running from battery power

the bass amp is a nad 272 and my pass f5 will power the mangers

i have come up with a mounting for the manger to isolate from the baffle using sorbothane as reccomended by derek which hopefully should minimise vibration from the bass drivers

any way enough for now ill report back later with some more impressions

hi all
it really hurts me to do this but after an accident with a mcintosh mc275 i have blown one of the mangers
the other one is still perfect and undamaged
so the above project is for sale in the clasified section ive got buckleys chance of finding a manger to replace the blown one for a good price and even though i can send it back to manger for a rebuild the conversion rate of brittish pounds to aussie dollars will kill me
the scan speak drivers have never been connected and so are still unused and perfect

regards sheafer

slr 5000 said:
hi all
it really hurts me to do this but after an accident with a mcintosh mc275 i have blown one of the mangers
the other one is still perfect and undamaged
so the above project is for sale in the clasified section ive got buckleys chance of finding a manger to replace the blown one for a good price and even though i can send it back to manger for a rebuild the conversion rate of brittish pounds to aussie dollars will kill me
the scan speak drivers have never been connected and so are still unused and perfect

regards sheafer

Sad hear Sheafer ,any chnace Leon could get another manger .

Cheers

hi malcomb
im absolutely spewing :bawling:
i noticed that the soundstage was shifted to trhe left a fair bit whilst playing the mangers fullrange and started to investigate
i later found that only one voice coil was working on the bad manger which was on the side that the valve shorted ages ago on my old mc275

ive priced another one and its going to cost over a grand to replace so as good as the mangers are i just cant justify the money for 1 driver

im really kicking myself becouse even with the blown voice coil in the ob setup they were sounding better than ive ever heard them before

im a bit lost as to what to do at the moment so i think its best to sell them on to someone else who can get it rebuilt or just buy another one and still come out way ahead of the full purchase price of a pair

the journey continues...

I am taking up the gauntlet from SLR 5000 to complete the Manger OB project. It is going to take a while to get the driver sorted out so I will update everyone in about 6-8 weeks. (the Mangers are not sold individually, only as pairs)
I am currently running the bass drivers in OB 'full range' to give them some working time and just to have a listen. I am also putting together an active crossover.
I will also work on the original bass cabinets so that we can have an OB vs sealed shootout ;) I am looking at different 12" bass drivers at the moment. If anyone has some spare Mangers that would make the comparison a lot easier :D
Thanks to SLR 5000 for all the tips and assistance. I have read thru all of this post and will need to do so a few more times to make sure I get the most of these drivers.

Charles does have a point - if the Mangers were only 'fried' - the can be fixed.

Next - they Can be bought individually (or at least they could be in 2004).

Lastly - you only regret the things that you didn't do. In years to come, when finance is available, your dreams can be complete.

Best of luck.
AJ