Making preamplifier...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok
I will order TL072.
I have another question. Can I put potentiometer between Cf and R1 so I can lower the gain if I need to? The problem is that this preamp will be part of PA system and I can't rely on volume control on the laptop because ppl are always walking to the laptop pumping up the volume:scared:

And... 300mA @9VAC (12,6VDC) transformer wound be enough to power the preamp right?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You could use a pot like that. You would need to take care in the wiring to it (keep it very short) to avoid it picking up stray noise.

Always keep R1 in series with the pot, even if you fitted something like a 100k control. R1 prevents the gain going to high and the opamp crashing out when you get to crazy gain settings.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, the end pin of the pot to ground (1st or 3rd, it depends which way up and which way you look at it) and then middle pin to Cf. Only two connections used, the other is left floating. The pot should be a linear type.

Attachments

• Pot.JPG
    Pot.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 125
Yes, the end pin of the pot to ground (1st or 3rd, it depends which way up and which way you look at it) and then middle pin to Cf. Only two connections used, the other is left floating. The pot should be a linear type.

Ok, thank you very much. I just got parts for the filter(s). I will add filters and a pot.

The schematics should be improved....

What part should be improved and what are the benefits? I like the way it plays, sound is clear and natural.

Ok, thank you very much. I just got parts for the filter(s). I will add filters and a pot.
EDIT:
I added the filters, resistors and a pot (stereo one for both gains).
Gain controll works and there is no noise when no source connected (some noise was gone when I changed switching psu for traditional regulated one).

My amplifier has some sort of signal detection. It detect`s if there is signal and if there is no signal it "cuts" the inputs so that even if you have nothing connected to it and if you touch the jack with the hand there is no hum. There is even no hiss if music is not playing and volume controll is turned all the way up.
Well this function is not working when preamp is connected to it.
Is there a way to make a simple circuit that would detect if there is input signal on preamps input and if there is no it would "cut" the outputs on the preamp?

I think that this could be done by using relays on the output and transistors to drive the relay coils?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's good :up:

(You can always refine a design, and that is always best done by designing to a given specification that is drawn up in advance. This design was developed 'on the fly' as the requirements became known. Perhaps Keruskerfuerst could post one of his own offerings for perusal :))

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, its a valid design...... and everyone has their own ideas :)

My comments would be that the OPA1622 isn't diy friendly in VSOM (very small outline form). Its only 3 x 3 mm in size.

You've gone for a voltage gain of 27 (28.6db) in the three final stages. That's pretty high and I think more than the design brief called for.

Not sure on the twin gang pot arrangement. There are valid arguments not to pass the opamps bias current from the input pin directly through a wiper (noise and unreliability as the contact moves) although the arrangement would in practice work. You would be unlucky for both wipers to generate an OC condition at the same time. If that happened the opamp would crash out with a swing to one of the rails.

The circuit would need considerable redesign for single rail operation.

No DC blocking is incorporated which for a general application is always a good idea imo.

Attachments

• Preamp.jpg
    Preamp.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 113
Wow, that means that I would have to build everthing from the start.
We are having party for new year so I will be able to listen to the builded preamp at very high volume for around 10hours every day for 3 days.
If I will not be satisfied with it I will build that one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.