Mains power: how to recreate a phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this was a light joke...but SMPS give a quieter hum.
I must now analyse the collateral damages if I use SMPS.
IS there good SMPS or they are all trash?

Pretty good ones out there , even close to you , see Recherche - Audiophonics
If your prefered voltage isn't there just contact Connexelectronic and they make it for you for a small fee .

Ps . Watched all the cycling classics in your country the last few weeks live ! epic !

Cheers ,

Rens

naca5,
I'm still a little bemused about what AC distribution format you have in your house/apartment/building, and whether all your power outlets (apart from fixed-wire 3ph equipment) are just providing 2 phases and a protective earth (ie. without a neutral available), and whether the 3ph supply has a neutral connection and what is done with that neutral. Maybe a quizzical phone call to a local 'sparky' would shed some light (for free).

i remember in the 70's our college instructor did the calculus for three phase shorts, and guess what, line to ground short
produced the maximum short corcuit current...

And as clearly stated, he would have done that very near a delta/wye transformer secondary or generator. Any other real world application, 3 phase QUICKLY dominates.

I do this every day of my life, not once 40 years ago...

And when pulling a single phase circuit, things change again. Largest fault current occurs when only one half of the split phase secondary is shorted. This will normally be for phase/ground faults, and can occur in most places in the system, not just close to the transformer. This is because with a single phase circuit, the phase/ground fault affects both positive, negative, and zero sequence impedances that the transformer is modeled by. Not so a three phase fault.

Last edited:
There could be a problem with the "neutral" wire if the case is WYE or star with 3x230V fase-neutral and 3x400V between fases.
If the neutral is cut all the loads are in series on 400V with the voltages on the loads inversely proportional to there powers.
Perhaps there is a partly fault connection on the neutral where it enters the house, giving voltage fluctuations all over the place.
Mona

naca5,
I'm still a little bemused about what AC distribution format you have in your house/apartment/building, and whether all your power outlets (apart from fixed-wire 3ph equipment) are just providing 2 phases and a protective earth (ie. without a neutral available), and whether the 3ph supply has a neutral connection and what is done with that neutral. Maybe a quizzical phone call to a local 'sparky' would shed some light (for free).

Unfortunately everything seems right ;-(

Perhaps there is a partly fault connection on the neutral where it enters the house, giving voltage fluctuations all over the place.
Mona

There might not be anything wrong with *your* wiring. You can just as easily get an open neutral on the pole. Which will affect both you and your neighbors. BTDT, bought the t-shirt. And if that's the case, good luck convincing the power company that there *is* a problem. They'll just put a monitor on it line to line and tell you you're crazy complaining about voltage fluctuations which apparently don't exist with all their zero defects six sigma initiatives yada yada yada:rolleyes:

It seems naca5 means to re-generate the AC by using converter/generator fed from the mains. It all slowly turns into dangerous ideas, IMO. While possible to do by an expert it is definitely not advised for unexperienced unless he decides for a ready made consumer grade solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.