MagnumOpus & The B1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats wrong with the diyaudio store F5 boards :confused:

Nothing :) They are most likely among the best. Only I tried to buy a couple yesterday, and they were all out....

EDIT: checked the store again now, and the red writing telling me "bacordered/not in stock" yesterday, was gone today. So, my mistake, I must have been tired.

But, jayseez the shipping is twice the amount of the boards themselves...

Last edited:
Elfa.se couldn't deliver the toroid until May 6, (ordered a 20va 2x9), so the build is on hold for while. In the meantime Im "bom'ing up" for an M3 and snooping around for a decent dac.

Still haven't gotten my head out of my *** and decided on power amp...F5..B22...Audiosector....damn....

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Since I am still waiting for the xformer for the B1 (almost ordered a wallwart, just to get it faster) and the diyaudiostore having opened a European branch, I ordered the F5 boards. I'll pop by cviller's order site and get a PSU PCB also.

Why not strap two PP9 battereies together to get you going as a stop gap whilst your transformer arrives. cvillers rectifier boards are also good if you want to try fast or schottky diodes in olace of standard bridges with the F5.

Why not strap two PP9 battereies together to get you going as a stop gap whilst your transformer arrives. cvillers rectifier boards are also good if you want to try fast or schottky diodes in olace of standard bridges with the F5.

I am in no hurry to finish the B1, as I am seeing my 3 next builds as a whole.

About the cviller boards, I haven't the foggiest what you are talking about. Dunno the diff between fast or schottky. I am going with a standard BOM F5, with 15k iu's and 300va 2x18 etc etc...I haven't the knowhow nor the confidence to experiment at this point :)

Magnum--we all could use a little luck, at some time!

Have you puchased that F5 300VA transformer yet? If not, a number of us are running 400 or 500 VA units. No impact to the overall design or schematic (or other components), but it just gives you more headroom in your PSU under load. Just a thought..... and you also might want to see the 6L6 F5 build thread, for more info.

Magnum--we all could use a little luck, at some time!

Have you puchased that F5 300VA transformer yet? If not, a number of us are running 400 or 500 VA units. No impact to the overall design or schematic (or other components), but it just gives you more headroom in your PSU under load. Just a thought..... and you also might want to see the 6L6 F5 build thread, for more info.

I have followed his thread with great interest.

I realise many of you oversize the PSU, but I have yet to understand why. If it is designed and sold with 300va 2x18 and 15k uf's, then why use more?
Perhaps you could explain briefly the benefits of , say 4-500va and 22-33k uf and the stock specs?

I haven't bought it yet, I just got a quote for a couple of custom xformers from SumR, shielded and encapsulated, but I have to lay away some cash for a little while. They cost a bit with overseas shipping. I am going to check with a couple of others also. I have tried to find a more local supplier, but haven't yet...There is "Noratel" but they havn't answered me yet...

Also, I need to get a magnifying glass, I think there might just be a solder error on the K1823, I am not shure but it looks like there is only a fraction of a mm clearing between the the joints under one of the caps, but I can't be sure.

I am getting there, slowly :) Ordered some hookup wire and RCA's from partsconnexion today. I took 1 meter each of the Auric 18 and 21 awg.

Also placed an order with audiophonics in france for a chassis and a diy AC cable kit plus some stand offs and stuff. My xformer is due in a week or two, so is all the other stuff. I'll probably be bothering you guys with some hookup quetsions with the power inlet and toroid and all that :) The inlet module has way to many connections. If I knew then, I would have ordered an enclosed module with only the xformer connections visible.

Got the boards for F5 amp and psu a few days ago also :D Oh joy :)

Finally my backordered xformer arrived today :) Also I have got my GX288 chassis and everything else I need to finally put this mother together. Gonna take the bottom of the box to work next week and drill a few holes for the pcb's. The transformer didn't come with a mounting screw, so i am thinking of gluing it ot the box if I can't find a suitable screw & nut. Also I need to find new volume knobs, the ones I got looked and feeled ridicously small on the big enclosure. I want them atleast 3cm Ø. Need to decide on the FPE layout also, but'll drill some test-holes in the ones I have for fun :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Does the transformer look like this - with nothing in the middle?
DSCF3564-1.jpg

And then it mounts to the chassis with one bolt, the big washer, and a couple of rubber pads?

DSCF0127-1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.