Magnepan/ESL combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah its dumb James That i just found this shop i searched many hours before, without result And now 10 minutes.

James the plastic magnet band from Maggie is indeed not That powerfull, but Tthey only USe spaces distance of 1,5 or 2 mm.

Slap another pannel in THE back with THE layout in mirror img (si they reppell each otter) and you have à Nice push pull system far more controlled sound and Higher output with THE cheap plastic magnet band. Build these in small with 1 mm spacer pretty loud, i did cut thr band in half to create double THE amount of coil and thus drive force on THE membranen

Last edited:
john65b

My biggest question on using foil is how do you splice it? Or do you have rolls of 1/4" wide foil that you can buy like wire??

The foil is a LOt ezer to uses ...i have re-wired maggys with wire an foil from magnepan....the wire is $7.50 a rool..same for the foil rools.. i used the 1.6 tweeter wire...copper wire has less output than Aluminum.. i have tried it.. not good!..but it works
It the same thay use on the base-mid panels of the 1.7 i had.....but the foil well give at lest 2-3db Drop in SPL...I dont care for the sound ...but it well work.

john65b
As you all know, soldering aluminum is damn near impossible, and I gave up trying long ago...

Magnepans sales the board the lets you clamp the wires-foil down...thay gave up on the soldering...back when thay went to all foil speakers...goodluck

"Any one know off a good trick to solder the aluminum foil?"

I found a tip on using WD-40 as fluss/air block - will give it a try!

/Roger

I do not know if still exists but i have used Multicore Alusol 45D to solder Isoda multi metal cable. I used to just lightly tin the surface and then solder with ordinary 60/40 solder. I have also used it to repair the window heater of my car with success :)
It takes a little more heat and is aggressive so good ventilation is a must

BR,
Anders

i just rewired (refoiled) 2 smga's to go with a tweeter mid section ESL. but i noticed at high volume buzzing of the foil at certain frequencies. caus the mylar is foil and not a hard service its hard to get the alu foil straight without any bubble. these bubles will resonate.also when you crank up the volume a bit the foil will get warm, wich will cause the glue on the foil to lose sticking power, and increases resonances.

so Magnpean dit not use al there spays just to hold it down! its really does has a function. because i do not want to have mids or highs from this panel i decided to coat the mebrane with deluted latex, and if its fails i have a good reason to redo the mylar :). but for now it looks good. i will make measurements tomorow to see if effeciency has going down because of the weight. its kind of late and dont want t play sweeps now:)

but at low level it does not alter the dB's maybe a roll of in high but thats ok. ill

i just rewired (refoiled) 2 smga's to go with a tweeter mid section ESL. but i noticed at high volume buzzing of the foil at certain frequencies. caus the mylar is foil and not a hard service its hard to get the alu foil straight without any bubble. these bubles will resonate.also when you crank up the volume a bit the foil will get warm, wich will cause the glue on the foil to lose sticking power, and increases resonances.

so Magnpean dit not use al there spays just to hold it down! its really does has a function. because i do not want to have mids or highs from this panel i decided to coat the mebrane with deluted latex, and if its fails i have a good reason to redo the mylar :). but for now it looks good. i will make measurements tomorow to see if effeciency has going down because of the weight. its kind of late and dont want t play sweeps now:)

but at low level it does not alter the dB's maybe a roll of in high but thats ok. ill
When I put my 3mm tape on the mylar, I always use a roller which gets rid of all the bubbles . So I don't have a problem with resonance.It also helps to stick it to the mylar, as the glue on the 3mm tape is not as quick as the glue on the CPC tape I used previously.! So you really need to roller it to make sure the glue takes.Only about another 30 rebuilds to go.! The 3mm tape is a lot easier to turn, and I don't have to cut anymore tape in half or a quarter for headphones. LUCKY ME!!:);)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.