Macondo speakers from Romy the cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely nothing controversial about it.

hahahahahah..

BTW - I am struck by the idea that ikea is elegant - I as an expat german was thinking of elegant and "simple" designs by Braun, Telefunken, Thorens, Burmester, Canton, Backes und Mueller, Klein und Hummel, and various products by the also expat siegfried linkwitz, but also designs like the quad electrostatics, various dynaudio products etc.

But - its a matter of taste, said the farmer when he chewed on the soap.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FYI, it is "Romy the Cat" - he's a local Boston icon. I don't move in quite the same circles as he does, don't know him personally, nor have I heard his speakers.

A number of people I do know rather well have messed around with amplifier design heavily based on his ideas and found them to have merit.

Beyond the hifi discussion there is also a great deal of information about music on his site, something you rarely see in depth anywhere else these days.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
limono said:
Oh Obi
relax , I only remarked that if such a primitive creature like me can see a point and relate to it quite easily,
more developed mammals should not have a problem with Romy's ideas.

Was I even replying to you? No.

It happens that I like horns and it's a known fact that this topology *along with SET, attracts various forms of an audio low life .
I said it a few times already but I'm going to say it again that judging from pictures and description you probably have a wonderful speaker .But I have no doubt that competent horn design will be on another level.

You seem obsessed with my little DIY efforts and self admittedly see fit to bring it up even if its out of the context of current discussion. I can read into this quite easily - baiting, jealousy, inadequacy. Whatever issue you have then that's your problem, deal with it but stop bringing your whining conjecture to me at every opportunity. Its ironic that you question others probing and concern with the sound others create yet here you are.

I'm pretty sure we could be friends in real life as internet activity is like driving a car in a traffic. I'm surprised again and again meeting those "online tigers" in real life .
Have a niceday. L
:)

I very much doubt it. You seem to consistently hold your colour and frankly beige is boring.

kevinkr said:
FYI, it is "Romy the Cat" - he's a local Boston icon. I don't move in quite the same circles as he does, don't know him personally, nor have I heard his speakers.

A number of people I do know rather well have messed around with amplifier design heavily based on his ideas and found them to have merit.

Beyond the hifi discussion there is also a great deal of information about music on his site, something you rarely see in depth anywhere else these days.

Romy is very easy to approach. Just give him an e-mail through his web page and ask him if you can drop by and have a listen. I had a friend from Colorado swing by to have a listen.

I built the large 126Hz mid-bass horn and the 435Hz tractrix round horns for him. I consider him a good friend. He is very opinionated, but that's what makes him fun to be around. Seriously, just shoot him an e-mail and ask him if you can stop by.

Rgs, JLH

ShinOBIWAN said:

Was I even replying to you? No.

You seem obsessed with my little DIY efforts and self admittedly see fit to bring it up even if its out of the context of current discussion. I can read into this quite easily - baiting, jealousy, inadequacy. Whatever issue you have then that's your problem, deal with it but stop bringing your whining conjecture to me at every opportunity. Its ironic that you question others probing and concern with the sound others create yet here you are.

I very much doubt it. You seem to consistently hold your colour and frankly beige is boring.

Well sorry for misunderstanding than. In Magico tread your speaker was presented to me as a crown achievement and ICON of DIY effort . I got this feeling/impression that you tend to patronize over here from the heights of your DIY achievements and post in every thread (no matter if you have anything to contribute or not )with the scent of superiority .
I'm well aware of my shortcomings ,you nailed it ,thank you for reminder I'll try to hide them better. Better yet, I'll make it even easier and won't post at all at YOUR forum.

Beige ??,hmmmm doesn't sound half bad.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Thank god for the internet, otherwise we might actually have the fortuitous luck to meet such people in real life.

:rofl:

Hey, DIY Lexington sound like a blast. Why don't you have your own thread???

Theil labs, mmmm,
buffet, now you're talking (mebbe a beer too?)
home brew audio, yowsah!

Bit too far for me but please post some pics. Would love to see what E. coast is up to;)

JLH said:

Romy is very easy to approach. Just give him an e-mail through his web page and ask him if you can drop by and have a listen. I had a friend from Colorado swing by to have a listen.

I built the large 126Hz mid-bass horn and the 435Hz tractrix round horns for him. I consider him a good friend. He is very opinionated, but that's what makes him fun to be around. Seriously, just shoot him an e-mail and ask him if you can stop by.

Rgs, JLH

It seems i was wrong i thought he hides his work to let him critisize as he wanted to

But you seems to say th contrary, good to know

I retract all my critizisms if he is open to make people listen to his system, if he does that the weird talk is okay for me
:smash:

Visitor

I can't offer much in the way of detail, but an audio friend of mine from the UK was working in NY and visited Romy 2-3 years ago. He described the system as 'spectacular' , and this was before the recent RAAL 'teardrop' tweeter addition .

This friend is certainly familiar with high-end audio and a critical listener. I spent a lot of time with him at Euro Triode Fest in 2005 .

If people are still interested in the original topic of this thread, I might be able to get a little more comment out of him ...

MJ

If someone had the oportunity to hear a Avantgarde Trio in a apropriate environment ( not Shows ) , then might have a idea what such a system is capable of, since it is the base of Romy's system topology ( and was his starting point to personalize his system ). Since the Trio was the speaker most impressed me, i gave Romy credibility in most things he postulates, but not all, and decided to go the same direction, and as outcome in many aspects own system with similarities, which i listen at home. I agree , performance is spectacular. Dinamic's to die for. The Vitavox S2 is the best sounding compression driver i tried so far. Very natural , with excellent dinamics,

Integration is ok, but not the best i can imagine. I think there relies probably the advantage the Danley unity and sinergy horn design has compared to multiway horn installations, and some reports of people who had Avantgardes, and switched to Danleys speakers, confirm that. Probaboly the way to go, to have all advantages multiway horns have, but the best possible integration.

the thing i most disagree is that basshorns are not good for domestic use. I LOVE the sound of a basshorn, and cannot imagine to go back, and use direct radiators....

Romy has slowed down a littlebit with his @#$% attacks against people and the industry. I think it does good to him to do so.....

Angelo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow! What a crazy system! If I'm ever in Boston - it's on the list. (So is Kevin's "Caverena Magica")

would be nice to read the long system description and evolution, but maybe another day.

FIWIW, I sure hope it's better than the stock Avant Garde stuff. Only heard them once - at the Montreal show in '08. Awful. Looked and sounded like a big, expensive system, but had sooooo many faults.
Surprisng, really. Maybe Mr. Cat has worked them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.