Luxman D-105u Transport Identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a Luxman D-105u Tube hybrid CD palyer and although the unit works great the mechanical portion of the transport is beginning to hang up when loading CDs. Sometimes the platform that raises the cd up as the door closes begins too soon and the door jams.
Can anyone tell me what transport this unit uses and possibly other players or brands that use the same mechanical unit? I'd like to replace mine and make this one reliable again.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi fxbill,
That is something you service rather than replace.

Also, there are quite a few adjustments that have to be made if you were to replace the entire transport.

I highly recommend you find an old Luxamn warranty shop to repair your unit for you.

-Chris

fxbill said:
Hi,
I have a Luxman D-105u Tube hybrid CD palyer and although the unit works great the mechanical portion of the transport is beginning to hang up when loading CDs. Sometimes the platform that raises the cd up as the door closes begins too soon and the door jams.
Can anyone tell me what transport this unit uses and possibly other players or brands that use the same mechanical unit? I'd like to replace mine and make this one reliable again.

Hi.

The laser unit is the SONY KSS-152A.

The manual does not give a complete assembly reference.

The exploded mechanical drawing shows a conventional setup for the drawer mech.

I would suggest careful disassembly followed by careful cleaning.
The belt drive may be slack / greasy.
the slide bars may have hardened grease.
there may be a broken tooth on the tray.

Andy

HI,
Thanks guys, but adjustment is out of the question. There are two plastic pegs that stick straight down and cam the lift plate into place. They have jammed so many times that they are bent and after working with a numebr of units in the past 40 years I have learned that straightening them will either break them off or they will simple bend back again. I can tansfer the laser system to a new mechanism, but repair of this one is a lost cause. I am equiped to do a realignment if necessary, but need to find out what mechanical unit this is.

Do you need a complete service manual with detailed mechanical dis/assembly?
I've got one for Lux D107u/D105u. It quite big, approx 17.5Mb, but if you have a G-mail, it should be no problem.

Best regards, and good luck with your fine oldie :)

Ebbe

Edit: There's original parts numbers on every detail, maybe Luxman still have parts ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi fxbill,
The exploded mechanism diagram is in an addendum. I doubt strongly that the new Luxman distributor has any parts. Gord from Canada is involved in the US operation. He was instrumental in destroying much of the old stock. I have little respect for him for many things he has done spanning many years. Not the most intelligent guy, but has done well for himself.

I have seen this transport used in other machines, but I can't remember for the life of me where. Is there any hope of modifying the original with screws and / or metal parts?

The last 105 I saw was a write off. Someone replaced all the caps and resistors (film caps and metal film resistors). Damaged foil, the servo's were all out of whack due to the inductive resistors. The cost of a total rebuild to erase this was out of the question. I didn't think to retain the mechanism.

-Chris

Thanks guys for the help. I know this mechanism is used in other machines....and very likely in some rather inexpensive ones. If I could only find out what other makes and models use it I could simply purchase an entire unit on ebay. I treid a Maxnavox as one person on another forum had suggested, but was disappointed to discover it was not the same.... No biggy...only out $25. If sellers would show their units for sale with the drawer open I could immediately identify it since it has a rather unique appearance to the drawer...... The center of the drawer actually lifts up and raises the CD as the door closes. I've seen very few transports that do this...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi fxbill,
I feel for you on this. You may find this in Toshiba or Hitachi, something along those lines. I know other Luxman units used it. Timing the gears was always a problem.

Have a look in some second hand shops when you are passing by. We always wondered why Luxman used such a complicated tray assembly when most others were more straight forward.

-Chris

The following quote is from Luxman yahoo group

Date: Tue Jan 3, 2006 6:31 pm
Subject: D-105u CD drive change-out

Hi all,
So the other day, my beloved D-105u's motor died. Instead of swapping out the motors, I decided to take a drive out of my (spare parts) DZ-122.
So far, everything has operated with no problems. Thinking back, I was really (and am still) taking a risk, hoping all the specs are the same. Anyone see any potential issues I might have here?
Ian Smith Brooklyn, Michigan

Hope this is of some help

regards
James

I don't know that I can help with that, but if it is of interest to anyone else I found at least three different models of inexpensive Luxmans available for less than $30-$40 on eBay that use the exact same transport and laser assembly. It is a 15 minute job to swap them out and no adjustments are needed. Just install the several screws, plug in a couple of connectors and off you go. I bought 4 extra machines and now have a perfect unit plus three spare mechanisms. ( Of course it took getting 3 other units that I can't use as well, but it's all part of the game I guess!). I can always resell the ones with the wrong transports.

105 transport replacement

fxbill said:
I don't know that I can help with that, but if it is of interest to anyone else I found at least three different models of inexpensive Luxmans available for less than $30-$40 on eBay that use the exact same transport and laser assembly. It is a 15 minute job to swap them out and no adjustments are needed. Just install the several screws, plug in a couple of connectors and off you go. I bought 4 extra machines and now have a perfect unit plus three spare mechanisms. ( Of course it took getting 3 other units that I can't use as well, but it's all part of the game I guess!). I can always resell the ones with the wrong transports.

I would greatly appreciate if you could list the models you've come across with compatible transports. I have an old girl that I'm trying to get going again, and the route you took looks sensible. Being a little out of the way (Finland), I'm trying to avoid buying a lot of players with the wrong layout. BR TS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.