LS3/5a mini monitor clones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
perhaps i was a little dismissive. In my opinion, the SPH135 is a drop in replacement for 1 reason: its a rear mount driver and the cut out required is close enough to the B110 so that the baffle wont need much modification. Perhaps none. Its a fairly cheap driver, relatively speaking, and wouldnt be optimal in the same volume as the LS3.

Tell me when you get bored with the BBC theme. I've found another good polycone woofer design at Troels' site...Vifa PL14WJ-09-08. :D

The PL14WJ09-08 is to my ears one of the most smooth sounding 5" drivers ever made and no wonder it has been a steady driver in the Tymphany program for years and years. Due to cone geometry, coating and suspensions, it's got an even response all up to 7-8 kHz, allowing simple crossover construction. It's not particularly efficient, but the result is decent bass response down to 50 Hz in suggested cabinet. With a Qt = 0.36, it's a perfect driver for box simulation. Overall system sensitivity is around 84-85 dB/2.8 volts. The XT25TG tweeter is a well-proven tweeter too, so no further comments on this driver. Troels.

Vifa PL14WJ-

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is available at Falcon Acoustics for £57.
Vifa PL14WJ-09-08 Woofer Mid Range

Seems to be a vented magnet design with low inductance. Qts=0.38, Vas=13L, Fs=47Hz. Needs a little bit of rolloff because a small peak at 6kHz. Crossover is quite KEF-like, Kei.

I dunno Moondog55, I think it's all about the plastic polycones with BBC speakers. That and the floppy thin ply cabinets. :)

I've been whizzing along with my bargain 3.5 ohm Mordaunt-Short polycone bass drivers. Even found a promising crossover which I think I can adapt. Thing is they were used in the Epos ELS-3 AFAIK.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some wonderful Italian guy took the Epos ELS-3 apart and published his findings:
Tecnica e Misure: Epos ELS 3 ? VideoHiFi

As usual with 5" cones, there is a troublesome resonance around 1.2kHz, but it's OK to ignore it apparently. Happy days. :)

Attachments

• Mordaunt_Short_MS821C_Front.jpg
    Mordaunt_Short_MS821C_Front.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Mordaunt_Short_MS821C (2).jpg
    Mordaunt_Short_MS821C (2).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 574
  • Epos ELS-3 Crossover.JPG
    Epos ELS-3 Crossover.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 831
  • Epos_4ohm_130mm.JPG
    Epos_4ohm_130mm.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Epos_ELS-3_Stereophile.JPG
    Epos_ELS-3_Stereophile.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 251
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I still think your 1.2Khz resonance is actually a baffle diffraction issue and not inherent in the drivers :) Why does it show up in lots of 5" drivers?? Because people tend to make baffles of roughly the same width with them ;)

Why does it not show up in some? Porbably if you look at the 1/2 space spl curve (of those particular divers) it will have a dip in this region, but when mounted on a narrow baffle the boost evens it out...

Of course just my oppinion :)

Tony.

I still think your 1.2Khz resonance is actually a baffle diffraction issue and not inherent in the drivers :) Why does it show up in lots of 5" drivers?? Because people tend to make baffles of roughly the same width with them ;)

Why does it not show up in some? Porbably if you look at the 1/2 space spl curve (of those particular divers) it will have a dip in this region, but when mounted on a narrow baffle the boost evens it out...

Of course just my oppinion :)

Tony.
Alas, your guesses are as woolly as your spelling. I keep telling you this sort of peak happens on ANY size baffle and is aggravated by filtering, which FWIW, reduces voicecoil damping...but you're not listening. :D

A well targeted notch can reduce this colouration, but it IS significant that half-wavelength at 1.4 kHz is of the order of the diameter of the speaker.

If I was looking for the explanation, I would say that 1.4kHz here is where the paper speaker ceases to be a cone and slips into radial and rocking modes. Material damping and rigidity then becomes a critical factor too. This link is quite deep but is a precise analysis:
Vibration analysis

As mere mortals and not rocket-scientists, we really hope the driver manufacturer has done the thinking for us to get the woofer working as best as possible. But it's all very interesting. Hope we can move on now. :)

Attachments

• Loudspeaker_Radial_Mode.JPG
    Loudspeaker_Radial_Mode.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Loudspeaker_Rocking_Mode_2.JPG
    Loudspeaker_Rocking_Mode_2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 99
  • Loudspeaker_Rocking_Mode.JPG
    Loudspeaker_Rocking_Mode.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 79
frankly System7 youre attitude to conflicting opinion is a worry :D

Taking a wild 'stab in the dark', like many of your assumptions; I would actually, and modestly suggest that you and wintermute are both partly correct.

If i get time ill post a comparison of 2 different 5" drivers. Firstly the audax ap130z0 and visaton AL130. I recall from past boxsim exercises, the audax does have this cone resonance issue around 1khz, whilst the AL130 does not.

In summary, i believe it is more a symptom of soft cone resonance due to unfortunate dimensioning of cone diameter. With the Audax the peak shows even on a wide baffle, the visaton doesn have it at all. It just has break up at 7k instead.

Last edited:
Hi,

The diffraction ripple of a typically sized baffle for typical bass/mid
drivers is not enough (its usually a broad 2dB peak) to cause a
distinct localised peak in the drivers response.

Bextrene coned drivers even with applied damping nearly always
exhibited the sort of peak S7 is talking about due to lack of
inherent damping of the material.

Polypropylene (and paper composite) has more damping but
there still can be issue depending on the cone to surround
termination, which makes or breaks a good bass/mid IMO.

Trouble is optimum mid termination is no good for bass.

Quoting Seas :

Stiff, yet light aluminium cone and low loss rubber surround
show no sign of the familiar 500-1500 Hz cone edge
resonance and distortion associated with soft cones.

Looking at Zaphs tests for 5" drivers though, I'd say you can't
generalise 5" drivers usually have issues around 1KHz, they don't,
they may have issues above this point, unlikely any below it.

rgds, sreten.

...snip...
but
there still can be issue depending on the cone to surround
termination, which makes or breaks a good bass/mid IMO.

Trouble is is no good for bass.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks Sreten. Could you elaborate? I understand the concept of cone edge resonance, or at least I can visualise it.

What exactly do you mean by

optimum mid termination

and perhaps why this is no good for bass?

Thanks Sreten. Could you elaborate? I understand the concept
of cone edge resonance, or at least I can visualise it.

What exactly do you mean by

and perhaps why this is no good for bass?

Hi,

Optimum cone termination is quite stiff, first done in the Mordaunt
Short Signifier years ago, and currently done by B&W's FST, see
Zaph|Audio and control F FST.

Suspension Xmax is low and Fs high, ruling out bass use.

Bowers & Wilkins - FST

For an explanation and video of an impedance matched surround.
Though like I said, it is nothing new, it has been done before.

The MS unit was smaller and x/o higher than the B&W unit.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hi,

Suspension Xmax is low and Fs high, ruling out bass use.

rgds, sreten.

So would this make those Vifa P-13s that demonstrate higher Fs MORE suitable for midrange use??
Just interested.
even I
I saw a pair of LS3/5As for sale on eBay a short while ago, I'm sure Even I could build a pair of excellent 2-Way monitors for $2400- using HQ drivers and someone elses design.
And that is assuming I could fund a months wages for the components.

I dunno Moondog55, I think it's all about the plastic polycones with BBC speakers. That and the floppy thin ply cabinets. :)

I've been whizzing along with my bargain 3.5 ohm Mordaunt-Short polycone bass drivers. Even found a promising crossover which I think I can adapt. Thing is they were used in the Epos ELS-3 AFAIK.

Some wonderful Italian guy took the Epos ELS-3 apart and published his findings:
Tecnica e Misure: Epos ELS 3 ? VideoHiFi

As usual with 5" cones, there is a troublesome resonance around 1.2kHz, but it's OK to ignore it apparently. Happy days. :)

i have those epos speakers , if you dont see the boxes and just ear you´ll think it´s a much bigger speaker , no problems with a 100w amp , sound is very good for a budget speaker

I'd think bextrene and polypropylene cones are a one piece hot moulding, speakerman19422. Sreten is right that the rubber-roll termination at the edge is crucial to all sorts of properties too.

Joachim Gerhard is an interesting designer. Here is his Sonics Anima compact:

This is a small reflex with plywood front and back, MDF sides. You'd guess the sides are damped. No idea what the crossover is beyond being fairly simple 6 element doubtless with a notch for taming breakup, but the drivers look like metal SEAS L18RNX/P woofer and metal 22TAF/G to me.

The sloped baffle is quite normal for time alignment. Metal drivers are not my cup of tea, TBH, but the tweeter is quite Harbeth, and it evidently sounds very good.

I don't know quite where you are leading there, speakerman19422. It's hardly surprising that KEF would tinker with cone mass or thickness. Damping, actually PVA wood glue IIRC, was applied to the BACK of the cone in later models. Voice coils got uprated too. All this would slightly affect Thiele-Small parameters.

FWIW, the Sonics Anima has a different woofer from my initial guess. It's the £57 SEAS L15RLY/P in fact. That makes more sense for a small cabinet. :cool:
H1141-08 L15RLY/P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.