LS3/5A, are there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It misses me why you neglect Linn Kann in the thread. Sure worsened with age.

The Kan is sort of the opposite of the LS3/5A, even though it has the same woofer and same size box. Linn used a better tweeter, but the crossover had no baffle step correction at all and the speaker had to be used flat against the wall to get any bass out of it. Linn also did nothing to filter out the "QUACK" at the top end of the B110's range.

Linn bought a job lot of 200 LS3/5A cabinets from Chartwell when they went broke.

IIRC, they then fitted a newer scanspeak soft dome, which was not dissimilar to what became known as Hiquphon.

I really don't know anything about the crossover, but I sure do wish people would stop getting nostalgic about a 5" polycone in too small a 5L closed box. :D

Here, Troels Gravesen uses a metal 5" bass, of all things, with a Hiquphon tweeter:
W15CY001-OWI

Lots of notch filtering to keep the bass civilised. But nevertheless a 8L reflex cabinet and if I'm not mistaken, a near LR4 24db/octave filter rather than 18db/octave BW3. Even so, is that sort of little cabinet going to fill the room? I don't think so. :confused:

p.s. Nice to see you back here, Turbon. :)

Last edited:
I was under the impression the OP was about what would work well in the existing LS3/5a box rather than designing a new/different/bigger one, hence my post about the Eikona which is in a standard, readily available enclosure.

If you don't want to get too involved in woodwork and the small size attracts, there are a number of LS3/5a kits available and a couple of companies (like Stirling Broadcast) selling completed enclosures on eBay. They're an ideal size for smaller rooms, as you'd expect for something designed for OB vans.

a 5" polycone in too small a 5L closed box. :D

This seems to be a widely held view.

I went to Lalena and looked up the closed box cabinet size for a driver with the specs of the Kef B110: Vas 23.6l and Qt of 0.31. For a system Q (Qtc) of .707 it gives a box volume of 5.62 litres. (5 litres gives a Qtc of .74)

Could someone show me how I am ending up in the wrong place with the impression that 5 litres or thereabouts is ok for a B110.

Any 4"+3/4" minimonitor is a ls3/5a clone.
I find that comment interesting.

Here's Troels Gravesen's latest bit of fun with a 4" reflex in 4L and time aligned:
Discovery-12W

Sorry to rant, but please move on from that old BBC LS3/5A. Troels has done a much better 12dB/octave LR2 negative polarity speaker here. The only reason to use 18dB/octave BW3 is with lousy time alignment. Hence the BBC recessed the KEF B110A and did negative polarity BW3.

But two wrongs don't make a right, IMO. But for a flat baffle something asymettric sloped and positive polarity you might end up with a 5" bass plus tweeter in about 10L.
Revelator-4R

See, I'm developing a theory about all these speakers. There's flat frequency response, flat power response and good phase alignment. But you can only have two out of the three once you split the signal into two paths. :cool:

On the subject of BBC cabinets, they certainly got something right. Read about Harbeth's latest effort, the HL5:
Harbeth Super HL5<I>plus</I> loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

And on the subject of the Linn Kann, I discover that Hiquphon 3/4 inch tweeters, and the ScanSpeak 3008 and 3010 handled low frequencies particularly well, hence suited to shallow crossovers. I don't much care that Troels is being coy about the schematics these days. It's the ideas that count.

Last edited:
It's a vintage design. Some people like vintage.

Part of the reason for its continued production by Stirling, Falcon et al is the big demand in the Far East. It's possible the BBC still buys them - there were a lot in the old Bush House World Service studios when I visited, although from pics on the BBC R&ad blog they favour Genelecs for current research.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.