• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low power tube amp for headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, does this mean 22 guage is ok even for wiring the heaters? It says it can take a max of 7A for chassis wiring... but .92 for power transmission... now that I think of it, power transmission would be things like heater wiring, right? And then chassis wiring would be the audio signal path? So I would need something like 16 or larger guage for the heaters at 3A?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HEADPHONE AMP

Hi,

Dimitri,

I sincerely doubt the schematic of the headphone amp was built as you presented.

Maybe it should be presented to your *tubehead* friends as well?

Can you please create a thread of its' own for it next time?

It makes following up on things that much easier for everyone.

Thanks,;)

I am doing some assuming here, but after I get this straightened out, I will have the power supply done, I think.

Ok, the design by Joel has 1k of resistance (two 500's in series) with two smoothing caps for a total drop of somewhere around 100 volts. So this means that there is about a 215V drop over the 5Y3GT. Right? So, if I use a 275-0-275V transformer, then I would have to use about 1100 ohms of resistance. Correct? So two 550-ohm resistors in series would give me about 150VDC, right?

I am thinking I will go with the Hammond 270HX transformer. It is 275-0-275@200mA, 5V@3A, 6.3V@6A and is $45. Would this work well?

About how high is the voltage drop across the smoothing caps? Did I figure corectly that I need about 1100 ohms of resistance to give 150VDC?

EDIT: I think I did figure it wrong... I used 125mA for the current, when I am guessing I should have used 150mA since that is about what the amp section will draw. So this means I need about 1200 ohms... is this right?

TDSL says that the drop across the tube is 50V on one 60V on the other. I need some clarification here- either way I think of this it makes NO sense.

So, we have a 300-0-300V transformer. With Joel's circuit, you get 285VDC out, and the drop across the resisters is about 100V, so how in the world does this work? If a 300-0-300V trans. only puts out 300V TOTAL, then the drop across the tube of 50V would put that below the output automatically.

On the other hand, if the 300-0-300V transformer puts out 600V when rectified, how can using 100V of resistive drop plus the 50 over the tube give 285? Wouldn't we have 450? I don't understand this at all now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.