low pass filter for DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
In order to get the best values for R and C we'd need to know the leakage inductance of the transformer. Since that's not shown in the Sowter datasheet you could either measure it (needs an inductance meter) or you could just try 680ohm and 100nF and see what happens.

What have I to look after putting 680ohm and 100nF in the secondary? I guess using my scope, but what have I to look for and what scope scales?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Asked the information to Sowter. Now time to play with the scope looking for the best squarewave @ 1kHz, thanks abraxalito.

Attached pics of scope, one direct to SG and the other to the 100K dummy load, finally resistor 3k61 so I will use standard resistor 3K6.

It's necessary the output coupling capacitor after the 1:1 transformer?

It's magic, no cliks or pops changing between PCM & DSD. I still need the output capacitor to avoid DC: I have AVC at the input of preamp or headphone amp and don't likes DC, I listen scratches when I turn the volume.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_161002.jpg
    IMG_20190317_161002.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20190317_161218_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20190317_161218_BURST002.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 223
The primary inductance of the trafo forms a resonance with the coupling cap. A high enough value cap keeps the resonance well below audio frequencies. If you decrease the cap you'll move the resonance (a bump in the FR) upwards in freq so will end up with more bass. If you keep reducing the cap the bump will move into the mid range eventually and the bass will roll off prematurely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.