low pass filter for DSD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't view anything on DIYINHK's site as it needs a captcha which is blocked by the Great Firewall.

So you are using an I2S isolator to isolate DSD? My guess is this will introduce rather a lot of jitter. The output impedance of the isolator will depend on the particular chip used - do you know the part number?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Texas Instruments ISO7640FM

amanero-isolator-bare-pcb.jpg

I don't populate U2: I2C Isolator (Texas Instruments ISO1540 or equivalent)
U3: >1Mbps 3/0 or 4/0 channel Isolator (Texas Instruments ISO7230/ISO7240 or equivalent)

I estimate the output resistance of the isolators at 50ohm (0.2V drop at 4mA output current) assuming they're powered from 5V. At 3.3V the Zout is higher.

So for 5V supply you'll need a 150R resistor between the ISO7640FM and the LC filter.

In regard to jitter, the plot shows about 0.8nS which corresponds to modulation of the 50/50 duty cycle at zero (1.4MHz squarewave) by around 0.1%. So you'll be getting about -60dB peak noise due to this jitter. That's not to say your audio bandwidth SNR will only be 60dB though as the bulk of this additional noise will be ultrasonics.

Attachments

• ISO7640Mjitter.png
    ISO7640Mjitter.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
I've been considering isolation for a multi-channel FPGA based DSD DAC that I'm designing. The conclusion that I came to is that the isolated outputs need to be retimed to eliminate the jitter due to the isolators (and FPGA).

It makes sense therefore to have the main clock source on the output side of the isolators and to feed the clock back to the FPGA through another isolator. This also provides a 'quieter' environment for the oscillator.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Butterworth or Chebyshev would be fine - I suggest Butterworth as its simpler to design. The corner frequency depends on you - perhaps 50kHz -3dB would be fine as a first attempt.

A 4th order LC would have two series inductors and two shunt capacitors, followed by a resistive termination

<edit> Attached a schematic based on a design I did for an ESS DAC. Its Butterworth but 30kHz -3dB.

346093d1367484624-low-pass-filter-dsd-merlinlc-png

Now I don't use I2S isolator because introduces a lot of noise.

How can mod the filter for 50 ohms characteristic impedance to drive directly the Amanero?

Using an online calculator result is attached schematic.

Attachments

• 4th order low pass filter calculator.png
    4th order low pass filter calculator.png
    9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.