Low cost dsp based crossover module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Behringer digital crossover is about the same price (£150 in the UK). Which

actually everything in euro it's exactly the double!

also they have some differences... this little board will do anything you program it for.

but how trasparent can it be to the sound with input and output conversion onboard? (how trasparent is the behringer for that matter? i have never heard) what's the goal of having a good DAC then? it's too bad that it can take the input signal directly over usb!

Yes, that is one of the intended applications.

I've had a closer look, and sent them an email.... I have a suspicion that this board may be too limited by the hardware.

The existing analog i/o is not good quality - it will be up to them to make a high quality daughter board with enough outputs to make this actually useful. And then you might be running out of DSP power.

Yes, that is one of the intended applications.

I've had a closer look, and sent them an email.... I have a suspicion that this board may be too limited by the hardware.

The existing analog i/o is not good quality - it will be up to them to make a high quality daughter board with enough outputs to make this actually useful. And then you might be running out of DSP power.

So not worth buying ?

Guys, a little update!
Got the box end of this week, and here is what came with it.. A good thick gauge cable with gold rca connector(3' or so?), shielded USB and of course the board.. :) Also included a letter saying that being one of their first few customers, I'll soon be getting some goodies!! woowooow! no idea what it is though..:confused:

Anyway, installed the software, plugged in the USB and within less than 1 minute I was tuning Equalization of my system... Couldn't be simpler.. Having the RMS meters is neat... I also like the charting, giving precise info on what's eq'ed...

I think that maybe I should clarify my expectations to some of you though... I am not a DSP programmer (or programmer at all actually ;-) and know nut all on how to build windows application to make something like this work! :confused: Even if I knew how to do it, when I come back home, I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend my time looking at a PC! I like audio stuff, drilling wood boards & putting together audio projects.... :) Anyway, I don't fall in the range of ppl that can actually build, debug and program such board... If these guys can get together a DIY community for dsp, I think that they deserve a shot at it.. They seem responsive to all my emails and forum post, so let's see!

Fb, I agree with you that audio performance could be better (i think that limitation is in their converters) and hope they get better boards to solve that problem... So far, I'm feeding my CD player (unbalanced) & MP3 from my ipod so not sure I'd actually notice the difference with 10dB more on the Dynamic range.. What i did notice however is how much some few little EQ tweaks did wonders to my Tannoy system... Only for the 31 bands graphic EQ (so far not using the crossovers), I'm really happy with the improvment.. cleaned up a couple of dips and bumped the 80hz by 3dB :). The day they release the digital I/O cards, I guess that I'll upgrade for SPDIF in for better sound.

Anyway, hopefully next week is speaker cabinet building!!

Hello, Hello,

I'm one of the co-founder of this startup company and a couple of you requested that we participate to the post to clarify few of our technical aspects and concepts behind the product.

To be honest, we don't feel comfortable answering all your questions here, because forums should stay impartial. So until we get confirmation by the thread admin or maybe one day get a manufacturer's thread on diyAudio, best for us not to abuse typical forum rules and the generosity of a community like diyAudio.

Anyways, this thread has a lot of very good questions/comments from all of you and I've tried to summarize an answer to them in the following post here. Have a look and it and have your say!

Hope it clarifies some mis-understandings and as usual, feel free to fire us an email if you want to hear more about it.

Tony,
Co-founder of miniDSP

Sorry guys.. been real busy with work lately so no time for playing with that little toy... :-(

Took few pics with the iphone, but not much to show than the current pics on web. Will try to make a video of plug-in over the week end. Currently, it's connected to my Tannoy system to for EQ'ing of my system. I never had an EQ there, so for me to get a 31bands makes wonders to the system! :)

Planning to get the enclosure ready along with my choice of driver..Will take measurements on RMAA then.

Got my board. So god so far :)

Attachments

• Minidsp_1.gif
    Minidsp_1.gif
    32.8 KB · Views: 641
Hi jzagaja and crossoverman

Really interesting board, and quite reasonable in price. :)

Can you see what ICs the board is based on???
DSP, ADC/DAC codec etc.

You said the audio performance lacked a little. Compared to what?
Think they are working on a spdif interface add on board ... according to some answers on their forum .... That would allow for a shorter path
For PC use, it would be nice to be able to use the USB port .....

Baldin :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.