Loving the AudioSector LM3875 - What next for "better" Sound Quality??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I respectfully, but strongly disagree. I invite you to build a BA-3 or Aleph J. You will change your mind. :)

Consider Mauro Penasa's design using an LM3886 driven by an LM318. It is documented in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/54571-my-audiophile-lm3886-approach.html#post609507

You will find different implementations discussed in several threads as MyRef.

+1 for the Aleph J, I have several chip builds Dual mono 3886, Rev C, rev C premium, the Aleph J is much better, the F5 is also much better and both are easy builds.

PJN

Eh. The MyRef, as nice as it is, still sounds like a chipamp. It's very difficult to get away from the sonic signature of those chips.

:mad:...and I strongly disagree - respectfully ;)

I seriously don't want to hijack the thread or get into an extended debate, but something is missing and possibly misleading here. My quarrel is with two expressions - "better" and "signature". I have built all the MyRefs from V1.2 to V1.3 (w/Sivas Class A mod) to two versions of Dario's Fremen Edition. Also have ACA, F5 and BA-3 on hand. Other chip based amps and a derivative of the Honey Badger were also completed.

My contention from hearing them all is that every power amp has a "signature". Each design is essentially a set of compromises that emphasize or diminish particular characteristic within the final aural presentation. IMHO, the excellent openness and low distortion of the discrete Class A designs is one of many signatures from which one can choose - not essentially the lack of same.

I'm currently dedicating most of my time and effort to speaker integration and crossover mods as those elements may have greater significance in determining which active components power the system. The final result I believe, will be finding the best match of signatures - not necessarily based on the core technology (chip or discrete) of the power amp.

:2c:

And what about the speaker .... Have you done any measurements. Sanyo(panasonic has a real strong one, used in some studio monitors, like the pioneer s-dj08. Huge thing....but
the site sucks to get the component you want, lke evry manufacturer, you have to walk through a tree of things to choose from. I have he speaker//monitor overhere, bass-mid 8/3/4 ich and a tiny tweeter , 1 inch, with a nice build remote of heavy metall to turn the
4 source connections, eq of anf then it sounds quite flat, but besides that you jst have yur ac input with rectifier ic and some nichicon caps en the rest of the board is he sanyo on a large heatsink and a class d-amp and in an seperate plasticbox,with goldfoilshuildig you have the audio inputs/equalizer section and opamps....the outpts at he back/covererd withe epoxy, went bank to the main board and offcourse from their two cables to the woofer and 1 inch driver., But wait, i'm msstaking, t has a huge transformer,which wasn't built quite nicelijk....t's class a/b and the 100watt to the lower and 70 watts to the tweeterdriver.multiply that by 0.6 and you have+- the rms...not the heat.
Case is shitty cheap hardboard built...but i hate pioneer dj crap anyway....overpaid junk..
If i can't find the unit i'll unscrew the backplate to see which sanyo it is....
gr.richard

Thanks again guys. I guess having never heard a Class A, let alone various signatures of Class A, I am not really in a position to say what I like or dislike.

So, I guess, I am hanging around on these forums to get quick and cheap kicks ;)

My Primary system:

Audiolab 8000S (pre mode)
Audiolab 8000P (power mode)
Proac Studio 140mk2 Speakers

However, I do have a number of systems in various rooms, here is what I have so far:

System 2
Topping TP 20 Amp
Musical Fidelity VDAC
KEF Cresta 2 Speakers

System 3
AudioSector LM3875 Amp
Pioneer S-T100 Speakers (BIG n HEAVY)

System 4
Onkyo 606 Receiver
TDL RTL3 Speakers

I am very happy with the sound of each system. But as they say "once bitten", now I am kinda hooked. However, I often worry if its better to spend 100s into a diy amp that may/maynot have a resale value or stick to tried and tested, second hand "branded" gear..

Anyone got a rough estimate on how much AlephJ may cost to make? (excluding the chassis + PSU + Connectors etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.