love and respect for all of the great minds here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is really odd and unreasonable behavior especially since I can't
see any girls hanging around here!:scratch:
I apologize for using my cultural shorthand on an international forum.
hmm not sure I can explain it. another example >in the olden days before sword fight one guy hopes by showing he has a longer/bigger weapon he will win before the blood has to flow, then the other guy does the same IDK like a smaller scale arms race.

I meant in the way that this individual would not have to tell about
the same findings in a forum if that very same thougths are already
in a book.

Of course it's perfectly legitimate to question one's expertise and no,
I don't think the author would not have anything more to add then
what's already been published.

But that assumes that people actually take the time to read what is out there. IMO that is a major problem around here - people simply do not know what has been done and what data there is. They want to believe what they want to believe and don't think that there is any point in researching what others have found.

This isn't a "spat", I'm just trying to figure out what people mean. It's so easy to misunderstand, especially in other cultures.

I don't always say what I mean and I have been called on a number of dumb comments. It's good to know when that happens. After enough "back and forth" you get to where you understand what is being said.

its not distrust but abhorrence to folks that try to use the forums to push their services, products, or some other BS agenda. cant we have spam free zones anywhere.
Hi PeteLeoni
sorry I don't bow to PhDs ( have a few in my circle already ) sometimes dismissive behavior is really avoidance of those senseless debates that in end amounts to nothing but willy wagging. yes indeed life is too short.
in the spirit of DIY I value the build / project pictures much more than anything else!
FWIW the "industry" pros have their own playground if they want to mix it up in the DIY sandbox my hats off to em esp. if they use their real names.
Hi Peteleoni? Me? I have no service to push here at all! I don't don't sell speakers or amp etc. of any kind. I do build studio computers and mix and master but no one here has ever approached me, it's a different world. I am here to learn more from people who know a crapload more than I do. My clients would be bored stiff on this place. I am not sure if I am being accused of advertising here or what? I am ashamed to admit I have never posted in the forum here that I could be of service, but that is why! There is nothing mercenary about Pete Leoni, you have to run me down to get me to take on a project. Right now my mission is speakers and room acoustics. Screw business, it finds me. Just my nature. Nothing to sell here I assure you.

Last edited:
But that assumes that people actually take the time to read what is out there. IMO that is a major problem around here - people simply do not know what has been done and what data there is. They want to believe what they want to believe and don't think that there is any point in researching what others have found.
Not I, I listen. I may question but I listen and am very appreciative of folks like you. Ergo...this thank you thread. The only thing that I am not 100% on board with is this audibility of distortion thing because I really do believe horns are doing something more than adding harmonics I want to hear. Our hearing is so complex. If I have a major project I won't finalize it till the morning. In the morning my hearing is much more acute. There are a lot of mysteries regarding distortion. Hard to quantify. Hard to guage.

yeah you, aren't you Pete?, the text below your name is what I directed towards you not the stuff above that. anyway...
I dont see anyone is accusing anyone in this thread? (wow so many persecution complexes), I was attempting to address your concerns about"dismissive behavior that you posted in another thread just immediately before you launched this topic. IDK you seemed totally miffed that everyone doesn't hero worship at the feet of your guy. get a grip man this is a public forum not a fan site.

yeah you, aren't you Pete?, the text below your name is what I directed towards you not the stuff above that. anyway...
I dont see anyone is accusing anyone in this thread? (wow so many persecution complexes), I was attempting to address your concerns about"dismissive behavior that you posted in another thread just immediately before you launched this topic. IDK you seemed totally miffed that everyone doesn't hero worship at the feet of your guy. get a grip man this is a public forum not a fan site.
Sorry if I misunderstood. Dismissive behavior? wasn't me, probably muti quote mistake. Check the authors on posts.As far as being paranoid, well maybe, I would never want anyone to think I was using this forum in any way but to soak up knowledge. I do have a lot of audio guys who I admire. Geddes? Toole? Danley? Keele? the ones from Peavey? Long list which one do you mean?

Like with a lot of other arts and sciences I don't see much good in keeping them in the ivory towers. I appreciate when industry and academic professionals come here and engage. Yes I can see it being a challenge to try and communicate effectively with people who do not understand the fundamentals, or the '101' But I think when we step down and take the effort to explain then not only does it help other people, but you just might get some feedback or ideas you wouldn't have thought of yourself.

Remember when we are dead an gone, all that remains is what we've left behind.

Share your knowledge with those who are hungry for it. It's better for all of us.

I love this forum, it gives me a sense of community. It really means a lot to me.
-Shawn

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are a lot of experts and smart guys here who have expertise in specific areas, and not in others.
Some have experience in technical areas other than audio, that do not always apply here. That can be frustrating when they assume that what they know elsewhere works the way it does in their own area of expertise.

And we see a lot of the "Small fish in a Big Pond" syndrome. Routinely guys will join the forum who are used to being "experts" at work or at home. They end up like a high school football star thrown into the NFL. All of a sudden they aren't as big a fish as they thought they were. That's hard on the ego and generally ends poorly. They don't stick around and make a lot of rude noises on the way out.

There are a few genuine, published experts here on the forum that have stuck it out for years. Brave souls. It is interesting, of course, that they often disagree with each other. :)

It is interesting, of course, that they often disagree with each other. :)

Yes, of course that is natural and good. But what should be kept in mind is that the experts only tend to argue about what they disagree about. For example, I take issue with some of Toole's claims, but in the big picture that is a very small issue. We agree on about 95% of things, but what is the point in arguing about those.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.