Loudspeaker protection kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SACD

navin said:

you are interesting. hindustani classical. great...

Now that we both agree that I am interesting, when are you making a trip to Vashi to listen to a pair of JX92S playing some pieces on an SACD player whose analog masters were made 40 years ago? :) Beer on the house. I prefer Haywards 5000; can do Fosters for you. :)

I think we have seen the same system i dont know anyone else who uses rowland and B&W. did he also have tara labs speaker wire in his car many years ago?

To be honest, I've not seen it. I heard all about it from the guy who sold us our audio system. He'd set up the system for this customer. Then my wife visited that place for some totally unconnected reason and came back and described the system, and the owners' (lack of) involvement with it. We concluded it was the same system. This is in Bandra West.

Tarun

Re: Re: Re: Re: SACD

We are deviating from the original thread of speaker protection kit, maybe we should start a different thread, but the discussion is getting very interesting hope Mr. Moderator does not mind.

I have the Chesky test disc which has a good female track,. but I found Norah Jones more startling. Surprisingly I find some Indian film CDs very appropriate for testing the system. Don't go by sound stage etc. but the dynamics and frequency spectrum is amazing. Take for example Dil Se, Thiruda Thiruda or Dil Chahata hai.

Live recordings with minimum engineering sounds great. Paul Mcartney's MTV unplugged album is an unedited master tape.

tcpip said:

If you like Hindustani Classical, then Kishori Amonkar's double CD called "Sampradaya" is incredible both musically as well as for clarity of recording (even though it was a live recording).

I love Kishori and thanks for the suggestion I think I will get the album. I preferred her earlier performances. These days she does lot of 'nakhra' and it shows up in her music. I have Pt. Jasraj and Hari Prasad Chaurasia with Zakir Hussain recorded live at Shivaji Park. Great recording.

To test true voice reproduction, I do a live/recorded test. I record my daughter at the same position where the test speaker stands. Then listen to the playback, and ask the other family guinea pigs to tell me from a different room whether it is the speaker or my daughter. If my dog starts sniffing the speakers, I know I am there.

I have not seen much of Navin's gear but what he writes, I guess they are pretty impressive.I prefer home made stuff anyway. I know people in Bombay have the money to splurge on High End systems, but I was surprised that in Delhi too people have started to spend more to impress their neighbors.

In the last AV Expo is Delhi, I was stunned to see the display, I did not have any idea that India had the market for such high end stuff. A Krell amp costs one crore, no wonder Shahrukh Khan can afford one.

Tarun, your ten paisa defence for SACD is well taken, it makes sense. Personally I think the 16bit PCM is still not a hardware limitation for good quality audio. The production quality should improve.

Manufacturers will always try to sell us new toys and reviewers will always invent words to describe how good the new technology sounds. My mission is to get the speakers right first. When I become a film actor, I will worry about 120db dynamic range.

Angshu

PS. Navin I asked my teenage son about Venom, he was surprised how I knew the name.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SACD

angshudas said:
Don't go by sound stage etc. but the dynamics and frequency spectrum is amazing. Take for example Dil Se, Thiruda Thiruda or Dil Chahata hai.

Sure. Pretty much any A R Rahman album used to have amazing frequency range, clarity, etc at one time. Now others rival him in terms of this clean zingy sound, though few can be as musical. But on the topic of Dil Chahta Hai, I found the sound very electronic, very cold, as if everything, from drums to guitars were synthesized using cheap synthesizers. This would not be very good as a test CD for testing warmth and delicacy of speakers, e.g. the kind of test I can do with Kishori's CD.

Live recordings with minimum engineering sounds great. Paul Mcartney's MTV unplugged album is an unedited master tape.

Man! The MTV Unplugged CD series is to die for. I have five of them, and they are among my favourites: Dylan, Brian Adams, Alanis Morisette (seductive smoothness), Clapton (my favourite), Springsteen, and a sixth which is a sort of "Best of MTV Unplugged." Just removing the post-processing makes for such refreshing sound, they're totally in the collector's item class. Navin, if you don't have them, maybe it's time to break your no-more-CD-buying vow and get some. :)

You should hear how incredible the cheap pre-recorded MTV Unplugged cassette sounds on my ZX-9. I heard the Clapton cassette and flipped for the entire set. Whenever I want to experiment with an unknown album, I try to look for a pre-recorded cassette... it's cheaper that way, and my tape deck makes up for a lot of the deficiencies of the medium.

I love Kishori and thanks for the suggestion .... I have Pt. Jasraj and Hari Prasad Chaurasia with Zakir Hussain recorded live at Shivaji Park.

Wow. I don't remember seeing this album. But then again, I'm a little turned off by Jasraj's style and showmanship. And Zakir and Hariprasad etc of late have been doing more of what I call "rock classical" than "real classical." :) :) Sorry if I sound snobbish; I am a snob, I guess. One of my favourite Hariprasad albums is "Call of the Valley", from the seventies. Today's Hariprasad sounds worse, I feel. If you see the vocalists I really flip for, you'll probably see why I don't flip for Jasraj that much: Ganapati Bhat, Mukul Shivputra, his dad Kumar Gandharva, Gangubai Hangal, Veena Sahasrabuddhe, Aamir Khan, and a fair bit of Rashid Khan, Feroze Dastur, etc. Very unglamorous styles of singing. Can't get myself to like Rajan and Sajan MIshra, but love the Gundecha Brothers.

About Kishori's nakhras, I know what you mean, but when she records, they usually turn out lovely. Her stage nakhras are a different issue. :) I went to hear her at Xaviers this January (their annual IMG-Britannia festival), and she started two whole hours late. She was supposed to start at 0900 (you probably know she's begun singing only morning ragas nowadays), and started at 1100, and we were all sitting waiting for her in the heat in the open-air quadrangle.

To test true voice reproduction, I do a live/recorded test. I record my daughter at the same position where the test speaker stands. Then listen to the playback, and ask the other family guinea pigs to tell me from a different room whether it is the speaker or my daughter.

Why are so few audio lovers as sane as you? I couldn't agree more with your priorities. People (on this forum and elsewhere) keep saying that audio is a matter of "personal taste" and therefore there's no objective way to judge what's a "good" system and what's not. This is crap. Unlike wine tasting or modern art, audio reproduction is a reproduction, not a creation. Therefore, the system which reproduces sound closest to the original is the most "good". There is little that is subjective in this matter. Why do people keep claiming it's all subjective and "personal taste"?

The approach you describe has been put forward even by Linkwitz in his Website... he strongly advocates comparing the reproduced sound with the original. And he adds another very interesting dimension. He says that a mediocre music system will introduce a sameness to all sounds, all music. This sameness could be a uniform warmth, or a uniform hyper-detailing, or any other qualities. He says that a good system will surprise you with the sound that comes out. Real sound, reproduced accurately, surprises one with its variety.

Since then, I've started listening more carefully. Don't snigger, I really have. At age thirty seven. :) And I have discovered, at this ripe old age, that the sparrows outside my bathroom window are not sweet-sounding... they are harsh in their shrillness. Why do people use melodious, rounded flute sounds to mimic birdcall? A lot of real bird sounds are sharp, piercingly so.

Since then, I've begun to remind myself... a good music system does not have a sound of its own... it will surprise you with the sounds that emerge through it.

A Krell amp costs one crore, no wonder Shahrukh Khan can afford one.

Talking about celebrity audio systems, I was looking around in a shop off MG Road in Pune once, and the salesman proudly showed me a colour zerox of a cheque, signed by Sachin Tendulkar, for Rs.12.87 lakhs. He had bought a Cadence valve amplifier and large Cadence electrostatic+dynamic speakers. I've heard those components elsewhere later. They are good, quite lovely in fact, if you want your main home system to have the "valve" sound. I don't. (I've also heard more expensive BAT valve systems through Dunlavy speakers, and I think top-end solid state is probably more accurate.)

Still, I think I now respect Sachin T's taste in music systems more than a one-crore Krell insanity.

A crore of rupees for an amp seems a bit much, even for the wipe-***-with-silk brigade. Convert the amount to USD, remove Customs duties and profit margins, and you still can't go below a USD price of $100,000. This is way high even for a high-end amp like Wadia or a Mark Levinson, isn't it? How did the SRK Krell cost so much? Just curious. I'm not buying one right now. :)

Tarun, your ten paisa defence for SACD is well taken, it makes sense. Personally I think the 16bit PCM is still not a hardware limitation for good quality audio. The production quality should improve.

But as you said, it's very difficult to make a good DAC for the 16/44 standard, thanks to the difficulties of building a brick-wall filter. IN fact, some people I believe have reported better success with (good, not stupid) upsampling, just to get past the brick-wall filter difficulties.

Tarun

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SACD

angshudas said:
We are deviating from the original thread of speaker protection kit

I have not seen much of Navin's gear but what he writes

PS. Navin I asked my teenage son about Venom, he was surprised how I knew the name.

1. I agree we are seriously off topic. rememeber those moderators each weigh 17 stone. so unless you are part of the WWF / NWA etc... we better get back on track. as far as protection is concerened there is too much power and not enough power. not enough power is what you have to guard against. the best way is to have too much power. :) too much power is easy to guard against. (a) use a XO that is very very safe with yor tweeter (2) set limits so that the mids will complain first. the ear is most sensitive in this area and any complaint from the mids will automatically demand a reduction in volume (3) many amps I know have soft clipping or output limiting circuitry. since i have not heard teh same amps without their protection i cant say if these circuits have any audible effects. I have howver heard audible effects of relays (even good ones). my hame made preamp is fully relay switched and during my experiments i coudl hear differences. however this was the best i could afford / build.

tcpip said:

You should hear how incredible the cheap pre-recorded MTV Unplugged cassette sounds on my ZX-9.

signed by Sachin Tendulkar, for Rs.12.87 lakhs. He had bought a Cadence valve amplifier and large Cadence electrostatic+dynamic speakers. Still, I think I now respect Sachin T's taste in music systems more than a one-crore Krell insanity.
Tarun

1. you have a ZX 9 wow. and you guys have the gal to call my system good.

2. ST must have got his tips from Kapil Dev. He endorses Cadnece. Atleast he did at the AVMAX show in Mumbai. ad we are not in ST level. i know investment bankers who know what /how he does with money and trust me you dont wanna know.

Re[8]: SACD

navin said:
1. I agree we are seriously off topic. rememeber those moderators each weigh 17 stone. so unless you are part of the WWF / NWA etc... we better get back on track.

I'm sending a copy of this post to Dave (planet10). And I'll see you next when you're sold bottled as Navin Jam under Karen Anand's label, once Dave's done with you.

as far as protection is concerned...

Sushma Swaraj would probably have said that you don't need power... you should try abstinence instead. :angel:

Come to think of it, abstinence will, in theory, work in both her topic's case and this one, but both have about as much probability of actually being used. :D

(a) use a XO that is very very safe with yor tweeter

Any broad ideas/suggestions how?

I have howver heard audible effects of relays (even good ones). my hame made preamp is fully relay switched and during my experiments i coudl hear differences.

Maybe a relay in the power-amp's output path will add less audible colour than the ones switching signals in the preamp? (That's my token contribution to loud speaker protection, see? No point emerging from a lovely chat, bottled as Tarun Jelly.)

BTW, what signal-switching relays did you use? My guru :wiz: Randy Slone says that any really good reed relay should be fine, specially if it handles video signals. (Apparently, safely switching video is much more demanding than low freq.) He adds that among reed relays, he prefers the mercury wetted reed relays because of reliability, not because of any audible factors.

I asked around in Lamington Road for reed relays. Some of the shops have reed relays, about Rs.50 (a dollar) for a DPDT relay, "PLA" brand, Indian. They've never heard of mercury wetted reed relays.

1. you have a ZX 9 wow. and you guys have the gal to call my system good.

"It's all in them speakers, child." (There, I've paid you back for calling me young once.) And your speakers are absolutely the tops .... once I find where you've posted those pictures. :cool:

The ZX-9 is currently showing strange symptoms, so it's out of the system. Heartbreaking. I've just shifted into a new house, and I have about 400-odd cassettes, and I can't break in the new place without my cassettes. Navin, know anyone who is a pro at Nak repairs, in Bombay?

2. ST must have got his tips from Kapil Dev. He endorses Cadnece. Atleast he did at the AVMAX show in Mumbai.

You were there? I found the displays very varied (huge JBL speakers I didn't know existed), the whole thing a bit too noisy and the effort of queueing up to go upstairs to sit in a listening room too much trouble. But at least the junta got to see that there are music systems beyond Philips two-in-ones, though they would come away wondering why anyone would want to buy the expensive stuff... they all sounded uniformly unimpressive at the show.

ad we are not in ST level. i know investment bankers who know what /how he does with money and trust me you dont wanna know.

Yes, yes! We wanna know! We wanna know! :bigeyes:

Tarun

Re: Re[8]: SACD

tcpip said:

Any broad ideas/suggestions how?

Maybe a relay in the power-amp's output path...
BTW, what signal-switching relays did you use? ..I asked around in Lamington Road for reed relays. Some of the shops have reed relays, about Rs.50 (a dollar) for a DPDT relay, "PLA" brand, Indian. They've never heard of mercury wetted reed relays.

"It's all in them speakers, child."

The ZX-9 is currently showing strange symptoms..Navin, know anyone who is a pro at Nak repairs, in Bombay?

You were there?...they all sounded uniformly unimpressive at the show.

Yes, yes! We wanna know! We wanna know! :bigeyes:

Tarun

I find the PLA relays marginal. I used some relays I got from Japan. I'd have to open my preamp to get to the brand. Actually I built the premap because i ot these relays which i got by accident.

spekaers dont make a system. my sources are a CD63KI and a Phonosophie and a DR6000 (Marantz CD recorder)

Hey this is AVMAX running a show what do you expect. the only rooms that were nice were cadence and quad. Quad was a bit marred later when they got the wharfedales in and there were boxes everywhere. but earlier (very early) with only the Quad Electrostatic and the 11L the room was not bad (small but not bad).

Nak Repairs? Try talking to Sushil Anand at Nova (he is also the official distributor for Marantz, Monitor Audio, Mordant Short etc..). He can do it. whether he will i dont know. there also a guy called ravi jagtiani in breach candy who is quite good.

man you in Vashi that is a long way from here. Laminngton road is like a trip to NYC. I dont go beyond Worli/Prabhadevi unless my wife drags me to Bandra or I am going to the airport.

navin said:
tarun and Angshu,

I tied emailing you guys direct (off line) but you both have emailed disabled.

Navin, I don't know how to enable my email. I have just sent you a personal note.

Tarun, if you know how to enable the email mode will you do it. I wanted to write to you directly, you got me excited about Indian classical music and I don't want to get beaten up in this forum for diverting the thread.

Angshu

Emailing, etc.

navin said:

I tied emailing you guys direct (off line) but you both have emailed disabled.

angshudas said:

Navin, I don't know how to enable my email. I have just sent you a personal note.

Hey guys, my email is enabled. Navin even emailed me in the past. Anyway, my email address is cptarun@yahoo.co.in. Emails welcome. Navin, for large attachments, I'll write you off-line with my friend's email address; he can receive large msgs.

Tarun

angshudas said:

Tarun, if you know how to enable the email mode will you do it. I wanted to write to you directly, you got me excited about Indian classical music and I don't want to get beaten up in this forum for diverting the thread.

First, Angshu, you don't get beaten up, you get sat upon. Which converts you to jelly, ready for bottling by Karen Anand. Subtle difference, but important.

Secondly, it appears I had private messages disabled. I don't know how Navin sent me an email the last time; I never posted my email addr to the forum till now.

Thirdly, I've enabled my Allow Private Msgs option. You should be able to Private Massage me now. :cool:

Fourthly, I've discovered how to enable this Private thing. You click on "user cp" on the top of the page, and then click on "Edit options" near the top of the resulting screen. That will take you to options for your profile. It's easy, once someone tells you how. :angel:

Tarun

tcpip said:

Secondly, it appears I had private messages disabled. I don't know how Navin sent me an email the last time

Thirdly, I've enabled my Allow Private Msgs option. Tarun

in any case i got your email now. vsnl was acting up last night and i was cut off from the rest of teh world. in any case i will be out of town for a month now till sept 4 and so i wont be on the forum much. i wil try and log in via my VPN.

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any one of you know where I can get some high quality audio pots. On the forum, there is the talk of ALPs Blue Velvet pots. Any chance of getting such a thing in India?
I use a wirewound pot since I found that the carbon pots distort sound.

Vivek

Navin,
Thanks for the photographs. Are the coils home made, they are very neat. I wind the coils with my bare hands, and every time I have to count my fingers after I finish winding.

Ashok,
You can try RS Components for the pots. They are frightfully expensive though.

Angshu

Getting critical components in India

Dear Vivek,

Vivek said:
On the forum, there is the talk of ALPs Blue Velvet pots. Any chance of getting such a thing in India?

Are you sure ordering from overseas will be very sub-optimal? If your order amount is, say, USD 50, then you can add another USD 40 or so for courier charges and get them delivered. This will definitely make them more expensive than not having to pay shipping, but then these things would have been expensive anyway if they were available in an Indian outlet. I've routinely seen components selling on Lamington Road for twice the US street price. GIven this, I have decided that it's easier to import critical and expensive components, e.g. MOSFET power transistors, large MKP/MKT caps, good pots, etc.

I wanted some good high-quality power BJTs. They sell for Rs.350 a pair in Lamington Road, and you never know whether you're getting originals or Chinese forgeries. They sell for USD 4.00 a pair (Rs.180?) on Digikey. I figure it's not more expensive to just get them from Digikey. And if a friend happens to be making a trip "back home" near you from the US, nothing like it... you save shipping.

One of the things I've never been able to get in Bombay are MKP/MKT caps of 15uF or larger. (Useful as DC blocking caps in signal input to poweramp.) Another is a passive device: a thermal switch. (Very useful for heat protection of power amps.) Both are available so easily in the US.

Don't know whether this sounds reasonable to you. What do your calculations tell you?

angshudas said:
You can try RS Components for the pots. They are frightfully expensive though.

Angshu, where are these RS Components? What do they stock?

Tarun

Re: Getting critical components in India

tcpip said:

Angshu, where are these RS Components? What do they stock?

It is the Indian counterpart of the famous RS Components from UK.

I checked some of the conductive plastic pots.
Bourns Rs 328
BI Technologies Rs 904

There is no minimum order quantity. They don't supply to individuals, only to companies. They supply free catalog in printed and CD format.

www.rs-components.com/india

RS Components
301-302 A Wing
III floor, Navbharat Estate
Zakaria Bander road
Sewri(W)
Mumbai - 400 015
Tel: 022 24114716/24114722
Fax:022 24114704
rsindia_mum@satyam.net.in

N-607, North Block
Malipal Centre
Dickenson road
Bangalore- 560042
tel: 080 5594942/558 2796
Fax 080 558 2796
rsindia_blr@satyam.net.in

Hope this helps.

Angshu

angshudas said:
Navin,
Thanks for the photographs. Are the coils home made, they are very neat. I wind the coils with my bare hands, and every time I have to count my fingers after I finish winding.
Angshu

I use a lathe. the wires at 14AWG/ 16SWG. the orange coil was wound in the US the darker ones in India. I usually work on my XOs on flights hotel rooms etc. so i wind a coil where i am and where i can find the infrastructure.

BTW for center channel i got 4 x 4" and 2 x 3/4". 2 choices.

1. 2 3/4 inch in verticall array flanked by 2 4" on each side
2. 4 4" in a row with 1 3/4" on each end.
got any ideas. opinions.

navin said:

got any ideas. opinions.

I get very confused with so many drivers, except in ultra-simple configurations like one straight line of FR drivers. Doesn't the imaging become confused when you have so many sources? Just my usual newbie question, not a comment on your design or anything.

Why are you using so many drivers? Are you fitting your design to the drivers at hand, or is there some specific thing to be gained with multiple drivers? If SPL is the issue, I am sure you can get single drivers to give you enough SPL, can't you?

One place where I know I'll be sorely tempted to use drivers by the half-dozen, is with the Tang Band full ranges. They have such low power handling that I'll probably need to think of sets of at least four for each point. But then I wonder, isn't it better to use one JX92S or JX53 instead? The two alternatives would cost the same anyway, I guess. :)

See, you asked for knowledgeable opinions and this is what you get.

Please can you enlighten confused freshie? :confused:

Tarun

navin said:

got any ideas. opinions.

If I have to use all the drivers then I would do it this way.
4" 4" 3/4" 3/4" 4" 4"
in a horizontal array for maximum horizontal dispersion which is required for the center channel.

Angshu

thanks. that ia a new idea i wanted to keep the dome as close together and was willing to sacrifice i know this is completly off topic but i also have the following parts.

0.25mh x2
0.45mh x 2
1.8mh x 2
10uf cap x 6
4 ohm x 2
10 ohm x 2

my proposed parallel XO is as follows

outer 4" in series : 1.8mH
inner 4" in series: 0.45mh, impedance comp using 10ohms and 20uf
tweeters in parallel : 4 ohm series R, 10uf and 0.25mH

maybe we should take this off line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.