losing bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The bass is normal when I first put the car on and if I put it around 1/2 volume the bass starts going a little less and more over and over it pretty much does it all the time now. When it works it seems to be around 14.25v or so and then it went around 11.9v when it would be messing up. I had the positive probe directly on the b+ and I was grounding the negative to the car.

I say check your ground, not just a quick visual inspection like you have done, remove the ground terminal from the chassis where ever it is bolted down, and look at the underside to see if there is evidence of arcing, pitting, and over heating. If it is okay, and actually, even if it isn't, what size power and ground wire are you using?

Later,
Jason

It's important to know whether the amp is drawing excessive current (causing the voltage drop) or if there is a bad connection causing the voltage to drop. If the dome light dims when the bass drops, the amp is likely drawing excessive current. If it doesn't, it's likely that a bad connection is causing the voltage to drop.

With a meter, you should be able to find the problem. Start by comparing the voltage measured DIRECTLY across the battery terminals when the bass is high and low. Do the same DIRECTLY across the B+ and ground terminals of the amp. If the voltage is significantly different between the battery voltage and the amp voltage, you may have a problem.

As a side note, I don't think that Rockford amps lose bass when the voltage drops unless it goes low enough for the amp to shut down.

Today I mesured the voltage at the battery connection and at the amp connection of the power wire and the voltage stays pretty much the same is about 12.05 at battery and 11.9 at amp. Maybe I was mesuring it wrong awhile ago when I had got 14 and touched the nods or something. I could here the bass coming on and off while I was doing the mesuring and the voltage stayed the same. I don't know what it could be next.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.