losing bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I know this is a really old post to bring back but I continue to have the same problem. My bass can be normal most of the time but every now and then the bass really increases and I have to lower the gain on my deck all the way to 0 and then after awhile it goes back to normal. It's been doing it for a year now with no change. I've tried cleaning my battery terminals. I've tried totally new wiring for the subs to amp and the deck wires. Nothing. Could a blown speaker cause this because I do have a blown right front speaker that I still need to replace?

Are you using a factory bass knob?

Sounds like symptoms of a defective bass knob when its in use that is.

If your not using one, maybe consider taking your battery and having it load tested, as well as the alternator too. Maybe one is weak under load, as voltage drops.....bass drops.

I haven't tried replacing the subs or amp yet it's kinda the last resort because I don't have another amp I can try or other sub. I don't have a bass knob. I find they work like crap most of the time. There actually is a good chance it's my battery I've had it for quite awhile now and I've probably pushed the limit on its useful life. It's a red top optima battery that I've had for over 10 yrs. That's definitely a worthy investment whether it fixes the problem or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.