Looking for the Sony CD player CDP-102 service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Are you sure you cleaned the laser well enough ? Nicotine is a pain in the a** to get rid off. You can see this if the laser has a yellowish colour instead of the usual blue colour. In the past I have seen some lasers that I thought were clean but after cleaning them thoroughly they did their job again.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Cleaning with water and a little soap is THE method for cleaning very dirty lenses.

Some ( but certainly not all ) producers of cdplayers recommend the water-only method. Please check your service manuals for this information if you want to be sure. Few laser-coatings accept alcohol for cleaning. By the time you discover that they don't you can buy a new one whereas the water method is always safe.

Unfortunately the water-only method doesn't work with nicotine and other sticky dirt.

jean-paul said:
Are you sure you cleaned the laser well enough ? Nicotine is a pain in the a** to get rid off. You can see this if the laser has a yellowish colour instead of the usual blue colour. In the past I have seen some lasers that I thought were clean but after cleaning them thoroughly they did their job again.

Attachments

• dscf0017.jpg
    dscf0017.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 380
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That seems like a clean laser to me. Hmmm, that will be the end for the player I think. When you wreck it for parts please pay attention to the mains-transformer. Thoses oldies normally had separate secondary windings. Most of the time 2 x 7 V and 2 x 15 V, ideal for a DIY DAC with discrete/opamp output stage. It probably has a 240 V primary too.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bricolo said:
so what more can I do?

Hi, Bricolo

If you can't find someone with a scope who can do proper measurement on that player, I'm afraid we wont get a step further solving the real problem.
After all is said and done, IMO this laser is end-of-life.:bawling:

As Jean-Paul said, you can't change the laser anymore, and if you could, it would be more expensive than a new player in that category.

Never mind, there are a lot of good working players out there.

/Hugo - thinks one day Bricolo will find his dream-player ;)

Netlist said:

Hi, Bricolo

If you can't find someone with a scope who can do proper measurement on that player, I'm afraid we wont get a step further solving the real problem.
After all is said and done, IMO this laser is end-of-life.:bawling:

As Jean-Paul said, you can't change the laser anymore, and if you could, it would be more expensive than a new player in that category.

Never mind, there are a lot of good working players out there.

/Hugo - thinks one day Bricolo will find his dream-player ;)

And what should I measure with a scope? If I find one

And how can a dead laser be able to read the cd?
I still thinks it's the system that places the laser at it's position that is dead or not precise enough

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Dead or near-dead lasers behave that way, Bricolo. Sometimes they can read TOC but skip. Nevertheless end of life. There is a small chance you can adjust some things and maybe it will behave a little better for a while.
But then you need an oscilloscope and even if you can arrange one: will it pay off at the end ? It still is a very old Sony that doesn't sound that good.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bricolo said:
seems to work a bit better, now I'm only waiting a few seconds to find the track

don't know if it's the axis oiling, or the lens cleaning with water

Maybe it's because of my age (43) that I tend to give up a little faster than 20 years ago.

Try a bunch of different cd's. If all works now, you have a very cheap player; and you were able to fix it with a cotton stick and some oil.:nod: :hypno2:

/Hugo – would be very happy for Bricolo
:drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.