Looking for "good" fm tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planning on it Moray...

got your pm, thanks.

as far as tuners go, I have a few and I think some of the technics ones are very good, and inexpensive here. Also have a really cheap Sansui T-80, analog /digital display and strength meter that is enjoyable to listen to. And if a DIY type, easy to modify. Don't forget the Onkyos either.

stew

I could just be me but the FM section of a Kaito ($75) shortwave radio sounds just as good as my Luxman T110 that was pretty good circa 1974.

My favorite college stations chose years ago to upgrade from tube gear to the same garbage limiters et all that the corporate stations use.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have a small Luxman T-353 ... pretty good, and even better I got it fore free from a friend:)

I also have a Technics ST-G70 which is ok, but it cant compete with the Luxman

A few years back I tried several tuners because my good old Kenwood KT1100 broke down , not HiEnd but those new "cheap" tuners were barely listenable ... good tuners seem to be rare, and I wont spend 2000USD on a tuner

Some people interested in high quality FM may be interested in a DIY project to make an outboard FM audio stage.
The basic idea is to take the FM composite signal (after the IF detector) from the tuner and (via RCA jack) feed it to an outboard FM stereo decoder. This way you have total control over the LF cutoff, parts, caps, power supply, wire, etc. used. You can also bypass the mute and relays normally found on tuners. In many cases, the stereo chip will also be better than the one in the tuner (for mid-early 80's tuners and older)

The outboard circuit is based on the LM4500, which has a very good reputation sound wise. An LM4500 FM MPX stereo decoder design that includes double sided board and chip ( parts list link at digi-key) is shown here - www.FMMPX.com

Bob

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I am now looking for a good FM tuner to listen to ABC Classic FM and 2MBS in Sydney.

I have read the fmtuner.com and others. It appears that most fans in the forums opt for vintage tuners. I am not an ebay person and am not interested in hunting from pawnshops to pawnshops. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $5,000+ for a new Accuphase that has good review, because $5,000 is really a lot of money for a tuner and my pocket is not that fat.

I don't really understand the logic how companies like Marantz who used to produce very good tuners in the 70's can't produce good tuners today? !!! Oh, yes, they don't make tube output stage any more, but I prefer solid state anyway, surely for the curcuits other than the analogue output, they would have improved much comparing to 70's? !!!

Has anyone got any new tuner to recommend?

What if I buy a NAD524 tuner (RRP AUD$400) and do component upgrade? i.e. replacing opamps, caps, diodes, etc? I have upgraded a NAD542 CD Player and got excellent result. Would I have the same luck with a NAD tuner? Sorry I still know barely anything about tuners.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill
Bill I have a Pioneer F-202 you can have for postage cost if the fellers here think it's worthwhile sending to you. All I can say is it worked last time I had it hooked up

Use this
It can switch from FM to Aux., Bluetooth and memory card or flash drive.
Supply is 5 volts, can use a scrap cell phone charger, the bare module costs only $ 2 US currency.
Output to amplifier.
I have used the Bluetooth to play files on my cell phone.
Works from about 10 meters away.
You will spend a lot less this way, and your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• FM E Mail.jpg
    FM E Mail.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 154
Use a housing from scrap modem or whatever to house it.
Or (horror), put it in the amp next to or in place of the tuner, if it is an integral amp.
Takes about an hour to hook up if you are handy with tools.
Housing it depends on what you use, a small plastic box might work.
I blew one by touching the exposed PCB to a heat sink.
This project should not exceed 50 Aussie dollars with module, supply (here 7805 is used in amps), wiring, connectors etc.

Enjoy

Last edited:
My TX-9500 has stopped working -- not like it's the first tuner I've fixed --

Easy -- the 10uF tantalums on the audio section were shot, replaced them with 10uF/16V Wima's which I happened to have on hand. I guess they can fail "all of a sudden".

Cleaned up the selector switch with a couple squirts of DeOxit.

Sounds great!

Attachments

• IMG_5868.JPG
    IMG_5868.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 115
How about a Leak Troughline?
Many consider them among the best tuners ever made, and thy're still available fairly cheaply. I've owned a couple, and when they're well-aligned and used with a good antenna they live up to their reputation.
Go for a mark 1 or 2, and use an outboard stereo decoder for best results.

I know I'm 17 years late, but the 'Mark I or II' recommendation here is bizarre. The Troughline I only tunes 87.5-100MHz, if you can even find one, i.e. the bottom half of the VHF band, and there is nothing magical about the Troughliine II that isn't present in its successors except the Art Deco front. Go for a TL Stereo or III.

Too bad morning FM radio has so many talking heads. I just want to listen to music. Now I have subscription to Sirius FM. That is dependent on my internet service. When my son is home, he hogs the bandwidth and Sirius starts sucking.

Recently bought a Marantz tuner, and I had a Sansui TU-717 when I bought my first stereo in 1978. All we had then was cassette decks, tuners and turntables. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPod, iPhone all that, but I still like the sound of vinyl. Local FM is full of commercials, commercials, commercials. The FM stations would play an entire album on Sunday mornings, late evenings. We actually recorded onto cassettes. I don't listen to cassettes anymore. Why not? I never liked the hissing noise, you had to hit play, reverse, fast forward. Now you can hit one button.

When I was a kid, we hung out in the garage with the radio going all day. If we heard a song we liked, we'd go to the record store and buy the LP, sometimes only one good song on the entire LP. Also, the FM stations play the same songs at the same time, no actual disc jockey, recorded music. Did I tell you I hate talk radio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.