Looking for Feedback on this No Feedback Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
phew, that's good.

Now for a crazy idea.

You would get more swing, a lot more, if you went with a Balanced Bridge output. A kind of cheat for having single supply rails. It probably has good PSRR.

Attachments

• balancedbridge.gif
    balancedbridge.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 402
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Bigun said:
phew, that's good.

Now for a crazy idea.

Not so crazy - I considered a kind of bridged super symmetrical idea for higher power, mirroring the circuit to operate on a V- side of a split supply. Still pondering...

For now, for the application I have in mind, I'll leave it as is. I just need to get the time (and motivation) to puzzle out a board.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, you know what he looks like, right? :D

Alrighty then, I did it. A little rough but it will do for the first complete prototype:

DSC_0029.jpg

Silkscreen is printed on the other side. I'm taking tomorrow off so I may do a bit more with it - drill holes, add parts, etc.

How's it going with the construction MJL21193 ?

I am thinking that if I build this amp I should change the input device to a CFP - it's become my favourite compound device these days - would it work, would it help, did you try this in your sims ?

Perhaps a JFET/BJT CFP - what are your thoughts on this ?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can improve it a bit by putting some resistance in series with
the emitter of the BJT, say 47 ohms.

If you want lower distortion, use another 2SK170 as a current
source to the -9V rail instead of the 820 ohm, and then maybe
load the output with 10K or 20K to ground.

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
You can improve it a bit by putting some resistance in series with
the emitter of the BJT, say 47 ohms.

If you want lower distortion, use another 2SK170 as a current
source to the -9V rail instead of the 820 ohm, and then maybe
load the output with 10K or 20K to ground.

:cool:

Tried all that and it's wasted effort - B1 still sounds better.

The shematic presented above is just for illustration - JFET/BJT CFP looks attractive but results are sonicaly disappointing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Bigun said:
How's it going with the construction MJL21193 ?

I am thinking that if I build this amp I should change the input device to a CFP - it's become my favourite compound device these days - would it work, would it help, did you try this in your sims ?

Perhaps a JFET/BJT CFP - what are your thoughts on this ?

I'm still stalled. I haven't done anything since.

The CFP (bjt type) works fine in simulation, though there doesn't seem to be any measured improvement - THD the same.
What does make an improvement to this circuit (at least in simulation) is another "gain" block at the input - a high beta, NPN emitter follower at the input. I was playing with this before and may (will) include it in future testing.

As for FETs, I'm still watching and learning. I have some included on my next Digikey order - Zetex ZVN/ZVP to tinker with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.