Looking for Baltimore-DC Area carpenter to build EL70 MicroTower cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As general info how large do the round overs need to be to give noticeable sonic improvement?

Even a little bit can help (given that HF have short wavelengths the affect of HF diffraction can be disproportionally high).

A serious round-over or champher is larger than a couple inches, but any helps.

The audiable benefit of relief of the corners is a greater ability of the loudspeaker to "disappear". A lower diffraction signature gives less information that allows you to hear where the box is, and less information to corrupt the small, very low information that gives the ability to image, throw a soundstage, and fully flesh out an instrument or voice.

dave

Dave,
Thanks for the info. Since I cant round over a couple inches, I think I will settle for a small round over That will look good and give some benefit. Not to be a bother, but can you comment on the stuffing shown a few post ago. Since this is not for me I want to give it over as near to perfect as I can.
Thanks, Evan

OK, I know it took a while....But....I have spent the morning listening to von's microtowers. The finishing and final assembly took a lot longer then I anticipated. I couldn't decide if I should try them out on the 500 watt or 1000 watt amp.....Just kidding 2 watt tubelab SE. These little things sound great. The sound is well balanced from top to bottom. The voices up to the treble are VERY clear. As multitudes have said ...These things make some bass for little drivers. I haven't, nor will I, play them loud. I will leave that to their owner. My wife loves them I got the comment that she wants something attractive for our house...

Attachments

• DSC01243.JPG
    DSC01243.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC01244.JPG
    DSC01244.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC01245.JPG
    DSC01245.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 161
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am certainly hoping for a similar response at home as these are to be the main home speakers.
I know I have a good start with the break in as they played here in my office for at least 150 hours before I sent them to Master Sapele-San. They seemed to get markedly better after ~20, ~50, and ~100 hours.
Someone is beyond excited to play music through these. :D

Thanks guys......yes they look good, but the sound is the stand out. The level of detail these things produce is astounding. That coupled with the very even sound down into the bass is a testiment to good drivers and a well designed cabinet.....both things I had no hand in.....My only reservation is the ability to play LOUD. Even if I had more power on tap I don't know if these would produce a high enough spl to satisfy me....Anyway off to the beach with the family............Evan

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Wow and Wow

And in case that wasn't clear, Wow!

The expertly-built MicroTowers are now playing in my office and words do not suffice to say how nice these things look, feel, and sound. They are just... classy. :D

I've only now just finished the obligatory run through Brothers in Arms, and am currently on Andreas Vollenweider's Down to the Moon. If I'm arrogant enough I'll play Tool's AEnima to round out my usual first three test albums, though I don't want to get fired. :D

The detail is so very real with these speakers. The low end is certainly not lacking, with discernible material into the 40's (Hz). The very top is just a tad soft compared to memory of the nearfield setup I had on my desk before, but I'm keeping things pretty low-level here (iPhone Audio Tool app says I'm listening at an average of about 60 dB, A-wighted). So that may improve with more break-in or with more oomph allowed to reach the speakers. My ear-brain interface has a brick wall filter at 15k anyway, so easily understood material up there is hard to quantify. That leaves the mid-range, which is very good, confirming what many have already said.

Overall, there is a phenomenal balance to how these speakers reproduce music, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Nothing jumps out and commands attention. There is merely the music. Ahh.

Evan's work is exceptional. These two speakers will easily compete for the best looking pieces of furniture in my house when they migrate to the main system at home. :D

I need to cover the grills with something and then I'll show some updated pictures for all you voyeurs. :)

As I've been typing this up, Tool has started. The MTs pass that test, too.

:cool:

Back to work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.