• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for a tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not see any reason why you could not begin to build your first amplifier and learn tube technics at the same time. It is much more interesting than just reading and reading.

Then I suggest you to build such amplifier that you do not need to make an other (bigger) after one month. This means some well proven EL84 push-pull or even with 6L6 or EL34.

There are plenty of examples available.

I do not see any reason why you could not begin to build your first amplifier and learn tube technics at the same time. It is much more interesting than just reading and reading.

Then I suggest you to build such amplifier that you do not need to make an other (bigger) after one month. This means some well proven EL84 push-pull or even with 6L6 or EL34.

There are plenty of examples available.

I've been looking at 6L6 (SED SV6L6GC). But it's only that I don't know which part I should use in my amp. And how do i know what transformers I should use and every component ;)

But yes, I agree with you. But I must know something before attempting to start my project :)

Personally I would recommend you go with your original idea, Buy a Kit containing all the parts,--get the cheapest you can, just to gain experience in working with valves/tubes.
That way, there's no worries if the chosen parts like transformers (That can be very expensive parts) are suited to the valves used in your amp...

You'll learn a lot doing this, and KNOW that it Must Work at the end.

When you feel more confident go on to build an amp that is more 'your-own' than a kit would be...

For instance, IF you were to fully design an amp from start to finish, YOU would have to design the PCB,-- or Hard-Wire it,-- completely yourself--As there would (Probably) be nothing else on earth like it,--therefore, NO PCB's available,--Unless you Pay a Co. to make the board for you,--often very expensive for a one-off part!

At least with a kit--everything is there and has been proved to work at the end of the build!

Bergqvist: You are off to a good start, and the pop quizzes are entertaining! Keep going!

Back to you listening habits; listing these will certainly help narrow down you amp design.

How sensitive are your speakers? 87db? 90db? etc?
What are your listening habits? acoustic girl+guitar stuff? heavy metal? jazz? classic rock?
How big is your listening room?

You need to work backwards, your listening volumes and your speaker sensitivity will drive your amp wattage requirements.

Roughly, if you need more than about 5 watts, PP is probably the way to go for your budget. That being said, with sensitive speakers in the low to mid 90db range 5 watts or so can rock the house.

One other tidbit for future quiz questions: PP amps require a phase splitter before the output tubes. This splits the signal into + and - halfs for each of the PP output tubes. (neglecting bias settings, in PP, each tube only handles 1/2 of the signal)

Although SE designs are a little simpler, a basic PP design is straightforward. If you want to scratch build, look for a well documented design on the forum.

Here are a few to search for:

TubeLab Simple SE, Simple PP (george sells blank PCBs for these and there is lots of support in the tubelab forum)
Boozehound labs 6V6 SE
Micheal Abdellahs KT88 SE

SY's Red light district (EL84 Pentode)
Gingertubes Baby Huey (EL84 UL)
Eli's El Cheapo
Poindexter's 6V6 or EL34 Music Machine

Finally, look at Edcor for nice performing budget OT's, both SE and PP styles.

EDCOR Electronics Corporation

Tubelab George also has a website with lots of info www.tubelab.com

Also, the turner audio education/diy link posted above is loaded with great info.

Last edited:
Personally I would recommend you go with your original idea, Buy a Kit containing all the parts,--get the cheapest you can, just to gain experience in working with valves/tubes.
That way, there's no worries if the chosen parts like transformers (That can be very expensive parts) are suited to the valves used in your amp...

You'll learn a lot doing this, and KNOW that it Must Work at the end.

When you feel more confident go on to build an amp that is more 'your-own' than a kit would be...

For instance, IF you were to fully design an amp from start to finish, YOU would have to design the PCB,-- or Hard-Wire it,-- completely yourself--As there would (Probably) be nothing else on earth like it,--therefore, NO PCB's available,--Unless you Pay a Co. to make the board for you,--often very expensive for a one-off part!

At least with a kit--everything is there and has been proved to work at the end of the build!

Yes, I've been thinking to do what you recomend for me but I like a challange.
I am not sure what I want but you are here to change my thought ;)

About the pcb.
I was planning on designing my own and then let a Co. build it for me.
ExpressPCB - Free PCB layout software - Low cost circuit boards - Top quality PCB manufacturing

Bergqvist: You are off to a good start, and the pop quizzes are entertaining! Keep going!

Back to you listening habits; listing these will certainly help narrow down you amp design.

How sensitive are your speakers? 87db? 90db? etc?
What are your listening habits? acoustic girl+guitar stuff? heavy metal? jazz? classic rock?
How big is your listening room?

You need to work backwards, your listening volumes and your speaker sensitivity will drive your amp wattage requirements.

Roughly, if you need more than about 5 watts, PP is probably the way to go for your budget. That being said, with sensitive speakers in the low to mid 90db range 5 watts or so can rock the house.

One other tidbit for future quiz questions: PP amps require a phase splitter before the output tubes. This splits the signal into + and - halfs for each of the PP output tubes. (neglecting bias settings, in PP, each tube only handles 1/2 of the signal)

Although SE designs are a little simpler, a basic PP design is straightforward. If you want to scratch build, look for a well documented design on the forum.

Here are a few to search for:

TubeLab Simple SE, Simple PP (george sells blank PCBs for these and there is lots of support in the tubelab forum)
Boozehound labs 6V6 SE
Micheal Abdellahs KT88 SE

SY's Red light district (EL84 Pentode)
Gingertubes Baby Huey (EL84 UL)
Eli's El Cheapo
Poindexter's 6V6 or EL34 Music Machine

Finally, look at Edcor for nice performing budget OT's, both SE and PP styles.

EDCOR Electronics Corporation

Tubelab George also has a website with lots of info Tubelab Home

Also, the turner audio education/diy link posted above is loaded with great info.

My speakers is Kipsch RF-82, they have 98db.
I am not sure if it's those speakers I'm planning to use with this amp.
Maybe my fathers speakers, Dynavoice Definition DF-5 (92db).

I am not sure ;)

I'm listening to everything.... that's true ;)

And you can skip my budget

Thank you for helping me, appreciate it ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have never in my life even heard the word "gapped" ;)
What does it mean??

I should write 'air-gapped'

means that there is a 'slit' in trafo core
prevents 'saturation' caused by small DC imbalance
related to SE amps especially

PP amps do not need this
because of this it can take/produce more power, for the same size

now I could be getting on thin ice here :p
but not the first time it happens either :D
and you may not need to know all about this
but still, worth to know a little about it

my reason for this is as said before
it is good to know some 'terms', for searching info and gaining knowledge

even for choosing a kit, it would good to know at least something

whenever I fancy a design or a certain tube, I search on google
and mostly I find reasons for not doing it
one way to avoid failure

I should write 'air-gapped'

means that there is a 'slit' in trafo core
prevents 'saturation' caused by small DC imbalance
related to SE amps especially

PP amps do not need this
because of this it can take/produce more power, for the same size

now I could be getting on thin ice here :p
but not the first time it happens either :D
and you may not need to know all about this
but still, worth to know a little about it

my reason for this is as said before
it is good to know some 'terms', for searching info and gaining knowledge

even for choosing a kit, it would good to know at least something

whenever I fancy a design or a certain tube, I search on google
and mostly I find reasons for not doing it
one way to avoid failure

okay, I think I know what it means by now....
It's not an easy subject ;)

I would like to know about the power transformers for tube amps.
Do you use two different typs of power supplies or do you use only one??
I've seen that many amps have one power transformer and two power chokes??
Is this common??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.