Looking for a good wire dispenser

I'd like something that can hold half dozen rolls of wire, and grip the ends so I can easily grab and pull however much I want, like a packing tape dispenser. I also worry about the spools coming undone. Most of what I see is just a rod that goes through the spools, with no particular guide or control for the wire feed. Am I imagining a product that doesn't really exist?

Joined 2011
If you use a lot of different colors and gauges, some kind of a special wire rack would be practical.
For just a few spools, you could make a holder out of some stiff wire, and attach it to a bench shelf.
Or buy the spools-in-a-box from Amazon.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem I’ve found with putting them all one next to another on a common rod is that when the spool rims touch, as you pull from one, it tends to turn the ones next to it as well, causing them to unspool or at least loosen. Something with fixed dividers between each would prevent that. All that said, I haven’t gotten ambitious enough to build such a holder so tend to keep the spools on a box sequestered by gauge/type, and put them back after getting what I need. Small gauge with thin insulation I secure by doubling back and looping through the last turn; thicker I twist a rubber band around the end then stretch the big loop around the spool.

-Pat

I like the look of that Wurth unit but replacing individual spools on a common axle with some manor of clutch involved may be a minor pain.
Turn each spool 90°, with rails along each end, a small bolt for each individual axle, a pair of fender washers and a cork (or other) disk to act as a clutch would be easy in that regard. I'm imaging slots to receive the axle to avoid threading it all together in place.

Here's a solder dispenser example...
example.png