LM317+TL431, really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't a TL431 going to be noisier than a low-voltage zener? Maybe reducing noise is more desirable than a low dynamic impedance, given that by the operation of the LM317 its operating as a CCS from its Adj pin and any zener is already going to have an order of magnitude lower dynamic impedance than a resistor hanging from Adj.

(I have only just come to this thread, just thinking out loud here).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I liked Elvee's D-Noizator enough that I laid out a voltage regulator PCB which contains two D-Noizators. The board provides bipolar outputs (±X volts, where 11<X<20 is user adjustable) and can be fed from either a dual secondary transformer or an AC wall wart. I posted the Gerber files here on diyAudio; they are free and public domain. Anyone can download and use them.

D-Noizator uses a discrete transistor amplifier to drive the ADJ pin of an LM317 in just the right way, to increase PSRR and decrease output noise.

link to Elvee's D-Noizator

_

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I liked Elvee's D-Noizator enough that I laid out a voltage regulator PCB which contains two D-Noizators. The board provides bipolar outputs (±X volts, where 11<X<20 is user adjustable) and can be fed from either a dual secondary transformer or an AC wall wart. I posted the Gerber files here on diyAudio; they are free and public domain. Anyone can download and use them.

D-Noizator uses a discrete transistor amplifier to drive the ADJ pin of an LM317 in just the right way, to increase PSRR and decrease output noise.

link to Elvee's D-Noizator

you might be interested in technics regulators too:

_

Attachments

• technicsregoriginal.png
    technicsregoriginal.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 439
I have no idea...it might be some offset and there's 3ua bias current over 1megohm resistor for m5219 anyway...here's a different better version that has some mistakes in it:
Must be the offset from Ibias. I had not found which op amp is used.
Last schematic looks the same, but with no offset, could that be, they use a JFET input op amp here. 27pF compensation caps are missing.

Isn't a TL431 going to be noisier than a low-voltage zener? Maybe reducing noise is more desirable than a low dynamic impedance, given that by the operation of the LM317 its operating as a CCS from its Adj pin and any zener is already going to have an order of magnitude lower dynamic impedance than a resistor hanging from Adj.

Yes, TL431 is noisier than low voltage low noise zener diodes. TL431 is 120 nV/√ over 1KHz, 220nV/√ at 10Hz. Zener diodes widely depends, asking for a careful selection to make sure about a lower noise.
I wish to know more about zener diodes.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Must be the offset from Ibias. I had not found which op amp is used.
Last schematic looks the same, but with no offset, could that be, they use a JFET input op amp here. 27pF compensation caps are missing.
the op-amp is the same, probably the panasonic version of mitsubishi m5219(bipolar, low noise, powerful)/.They just missed some notations here and there.SLP-1000 has 470k//27pf, slp-990 has 1meg//12pf.Obviously the slp-1000 has half the output offset, whatever it may be...I built their regulators with some minor mods , didn't have the time to fire it.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
M5220 is even better.Both m5219 and 5220 were used in some of the best cassette players as the first playback stage op-amp and as i/v converter in some high end jvc cd-players. There were made especially for phono preamps as they can take max +-25v supply.Unfortunately extinct as many other good things over the time.Every time i get a scraped cassette deck i look for m5220.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.