lm 3915 vu meter problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I just tried the circuit in simulation again. Just try altering C2 for a start. It should all work.

(it could be worth adding a 'clamp diode' across R4 as shown here to limit any negative going transients)

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 78
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need a multimeter.

C1 is the input coupling capacitor. The 'live' audio input comes in at the left side of the cap. The ground of the audio input (the shield on the wire) goes to ground.

The markings on the opamp are confusing you. The + and - are not voltage supplies but the standard designators for the non inverting and inverting inputs. The power supply goes to pin 7 of the opamp (for a 741) and the negative supply to pin 4.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Don't forget a wire joining the two grounds (or negative rails as you call them) of each circuit. The lm3915 and the opamp circuit need a connection between the two grounds.

If it doesn't work then you need a meter to a least check the basics of the circuit.

i could be wrong but i think that the OP complaint is that he's getting dot mode and not a bar graph display if pin 9 on the LM 3915 is not tied to V+ he would be in dot mode with rapidly blinking/shifting states and on a breadboard that's a likelyhood that only a meter can confirm.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So you need to prove the opamp circuit. The pictures I posted earlier today show the output of the opamp circuit when fed with a just 4 cycles of an input signal. Here it is in detail. 1 volt peak at the input, and that is rectified, amplified and held. You can see the output (green trace) climbs to nearly 2.8 volts and then falls away slowly. This is with a 22uf cap for C2 to hold the voltage for a bit longer.

It should all work if constructed correctly.

Attachments

• Capture10.PNG
    Capture10.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.