Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

FlipC, I did a little research in case of the slot in front of the drive which the driver is fireing through into the throat of the tapped horn:
The small volume between the cone of the driver and the baffle in combination with this restriction forms a low pass filter which can be used to extend the high frequency -3dB point, it has essentially no effect on the low frequency response.
...I read this fact in the patent application publication (US 2009/0087008 A1) by Tom Danley.
greez

flipc,
I use behr ultra premium paint, applied with a harbor freight texture gun. 66103-0VGA

If I know it's going to get really beat up, I'll hit it with a thin coat of duratex on top. (makes the duratex go farther)

I also use behr 'oops' paint at $5 a gallon to help build up the texture before putting on the top coat(s)

for durability / cost, the duratex really can't be beat.

OK
I will check out the Behr paints.
$5 a gallon sounds good. And also will give Sherwin Williams a call on Monday to see how much that Polane stuff cost.

I got all my holes cut for the Lab 12 reflexes.
Will assemble those Sunday. Start on the other 2 Mini Clones Monday or Tuesday and hopefully be ready to paint by next weekend.

TB46 - decided to go with your dual 12 layout
using the Kappa Pro12A driver(s) to save $. That way the whole box will cost about the same as a single 12PS100 driver. Will start on it right after I finish these off. Though I will be testing using the 12PS100 drivers I have now as I spent all my money on those ...

Screamer fall off the earth again?
Guess kids back in college and parting already ?

Screamer fall off the earth again?
Guess kids back in college and parting already ?

I haven't partied in 22 years.....:headshot:
Working 2+ jobs trying to stay afloat.
Working on guitar preamps at the moment and taking a break from
building cabinets. Probably build a couple of minis for my electric drum kit.

The fury subs are doing fine despite having their butts kicked 5 nights a week
in a room with lots of bass problems. Only failure so far was a bad solder joint in a definimax that popped out. I probably need to go tighten all the speaker mounting screws by now. They are spitting out 123 db per cab per night non-stop, without hitting the clippers and with a steep 35hz rolloff.
3 cabs per side on one Crest CA12. Maybe 1100w at 2.6 ohms. I seriously doubt 3 double 18's per side could keep up without at least 800w per speaker.
I would have thought someone would have tweaked the design by now. Oh well. There is a DJ running around Orlando with eight 36 inch versions of Jbells sub, they sounded pretty good. Similar to my 36" bulldogs I posted a while back. He had BFM Tubas originally and I've invited him to join in here but I have not seen him yet.

I pop in when I can.
Cheers all.

There is a DJ running around Orlando with eight 36 inch versions of Jbells sub, they sounded pretty good. Similar to my 36" bulldogs I posted a while back. He had BFM Tubas originally and I've invited him to join in here but I have not seen him yet.

I pop in when I can.
Cheers all.

Good to hear you are well... I understand too busy... but that's better than not being busy enough.

hmmm... sounds like I inspired another tuba to TH convert.... ;)

LOL Screamer
I meant the kiddies are back parting so your busy trying to beat their bodies to mush with the bass...

I just put some HR inputs up for the Mini.
I am at work so they aren't the ones I used. Mines a bit smaller. But they are close. I will be sure to put the other HR data up tonight for you.
Only thing left on my current Mini builds is the grills and to break the drivers in.

4 subs and 6 mid highs in 2 weeks ... :spin:
My back is F!n killing me.

Hi Jorn,
Here is the Beyma (long as I got the inputs correct)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very good driver.
I am unsure just how big your trunk is but you could get this down another 10 Lt with good output I bet. As you see I already made this one 5 Lt smaller than my B&C 12PS100 model.

Hey FlipC, I see you got his Beyma down to 101 liters. You think you can get my Kicker 15L7 below 131 liters @ 1400 watts & 16mm xmax in a Tapped Horn? I'd like to reach 2,500 watts @ 2 ohms & 16mm xmax. Oh, internal max is 25" high, 16" deep, & 40" wide.

Sd=1056.00cm2
Bl=27.90Tm
Cms=1.04E-04m/N
Rms=8.85Ns/m
fs=26.2799Hz
[Mmd = 332.90g not recognised by AkAbak, fs calculated and used instead]
Le=6.28mH
Re=7.10ohm

Last edited:
That is like the statement of
"everything is a bandpass".

A RLH (scoop) is not a TH nor is a a cabinet like
the EV T18. A TH has to have the radiation from the mouth side able to transmit down the horn path to the throat and back. Distance of which aligns those phases. So this means the angle of the driver mount is crucial.

But then again I wouldn't call a TL a reflex.
And also would call your current truck (?) enclosure a dual tuned 4th order BP.

I sim'd the driver in the same cab as that Beyma.
Which was slightly bigger than my Mini Clone. It didn't perform well at all. I am still fiddling with the sim but so far the driver really likes the 200 - 400 Lt range.