List of the best sounding amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe this is a better view. The white film works as a dielectric.

Attachments

• Soulution cap-2.JPG
    Soulution cap-2.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 659
Missing from the list are Threshold STASIS S/150 or S/300 etc.?
OK I'll picks up more careful at next list
The Soulution amplifier uses a "home made" capacitor across the output terminals. I suppose the benefit of this design is to have a non inductive capacitor and to stabilize the amplifier under different load conditions.
Looks like the dielectric has low permittivity. If it teflon or PP or PE, it should not reach 10nF, may be around 1nF.
That configuration is also not work as zobel, but work if they using current based error correction (voltage NFB need zobel that using resistor as voltage damper but current NFB may not). May be they has current sense at the OPS inputs, or it is really open loop as measured output impedance is around 0.06ohm. I am going to try with correcting input current.

Edit: I forgot that it has zobel output, There may a feedback applied as in D400, or not?

Last edited:
Class D switcher? If so, this technology has come a long way. I hope the weeping part is not due to burst ear drums!

No, Antoinel....the FM amps aren't switching amps.
However, keep watching for ever improving Class D over the next few years and see the world's high end amp makers go to switching amps as the regulations regarding efficiency get tighter and tighter.

Already we see top names such as:-

Genesis, Audio Research, Anthem and DeVialet all using Class D.

Cheers

John

Hey, had i said other than 6 feet, it could not have been a coffin.
Merely had the impression you're heavily into numbers.

The 1811 has 6 pairs of FM17418/FM17420 output devices per channel.
They are 350W Pd each, 12 times 350 makes 4200W.
Mr Huber can turn the Papst fan in the 1811 as fast as he wants, the output stage RETs will still have to be derated.
So don't get hooked on impressive figures, a 5000CD still is an Audi 100.

(they're 4'10" high, each twice as heavy as an FM1811. case made of solid 1/2" aluminum panels that serve as heatsinks, no fans. 3-phase power transformer, output stage with about a hundred TO3 Motorolas. last time i stood next to Thomas Höhne, he was 20 years younger and could also barely get his head across)

Contraindicated for home use without a legal document from the amp maker declaring the audiophile shall not sue for damage to hearing and to body from launched woofer cones; for self, family members and pets alike. Inclusive is damage to loudspeakers, and potential damage from irrate neighbours.

Harman Kardon Citation Sixteen 16, can add it to list of vintage amplifiers.... ;)

I agree, the list should collects vintage amps in vintage list. I also planned to add famous/infamous tags, but I am just too busy right now, with prototyping my new N3 buffer and my friend at BSN also demanding low ripple HV generators for his measurement tool.

@Tommy1000
Sorry I don't have time right now to simulate AR D400 with soulution OPS. May be another time.

N3 buffer: (taken at last night, I work with it until nightdays, happily it perform right with no problem at 1st run)

Attachments

• Picture 011c.jpg
    Picture 011c.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 798
Who have heard this amp?
Don't know but the heatsink has some problem with dust. I think it is better using helical bubble/sunflower style than radial needle.

It is my sim of soulution inspired d400, non swiching, no feedback, 0.01% THD, @ 770mA bias (enriched).
May be different with the original but it is good achievement for nonswitching mechanism.

Attachments

• D400 inspired.PNG
    D400 inspired.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 689
I've collected some of them, and there some similarities like crown dc300 with PL700B.
I also try to buffer some opamps and old 5534 has the best sound when driving loudspeakers.

Attachments

• best amp list.zip
    870.8 KB · Views: 126
  • untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 535
  • tubeamp.zip
    354.3 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.