Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello and welcome.
I have a passive preamplifier according to Mr. Georg LDR MKII, the game will be ridiculed.
I have a question, can I connect to it, power amplifiers as bi-porridge?.
Input impedency of 100khm amplifiers. Asking whether there will be further compatibility of the impedency in this combination.

Regards
English please

dave :cop:
diyAudio moderation team

Witam serdecznie.
Mam zbudowany przedwzmacniacz pasywny wedlug Pana Georga LDR MKII,gra wysmienicie.
Mam pytanie ,czy moge podlaczyc do niego, wzmacniacze mocy jako Bi-amping?.
Impedencja wejsciowa wzmacniaczy 100kOhm.Pytanie czy bedzie dalej zgodnosc impedencji w tym polaczeniu.

Hello and welcome.
I have built a passive preamplifier according to Mr. Georg LDR MKII, the sound is great.
I have a question, can I connect power amplifiers to it as Bi-amping ?.
Input impedance of 100kOhm amplifiers. The question is whether there will be impedance compliance in this connection.

Regards
Pozdrawiam

No problem, this then will be 50kohms as seen by the Lightspeed

Cheers George

Yes, please do that and compare one versus two power amplifier inputs. Let us know what you hear. I have just added a parallel amplifier channel on three of eleven LDR channels, and although I have not tuned it, those 50K loads seem to be tracking well with the single 100K amps.
I asked a similar question on this outstanding website last year and a member suggested connecting a 100Kohm resistor in parallel to each single amplifier, if in fact volume tracking is affected.
Beyond the need to re-tune for my added drivers, it still sounds great over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am contemplating the Lightspeed for use as an attenuator between my Conrad Johnson PV10 preamp and my NAD 2200 mono-blocks. Right now there is too much gain which renders the preamp useless. Can the output of the PV10 go into the lightspeed and the output from the lightspeed feed the mono-blocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes no problem, the CJ is 650ohms and the Nad 25kohms, after you've done that, then just try the source/s into the Lightspeed and the Lightspeed into the Nad (leaving the CJ out) and see what you think, as the Nad is 700mV input sensitivity for full output, so you really don't need and active preamp at all because most sources give out over 2v.

Cheers George

Hi!

For the volume control potentiometer:
is it possible to use a 10k dual log pot instead of the 100k dual log pot?
Or:
use simulate by using a 100k dual linear pot and for each channel put 20k resistor over two of the leads?

/hk
Volume level comes on too quick in my design, 100k log gives good range from zero to half then come on quicker for the second half.

Cheers George

I guess that is comparing linear vs log pot. Correct?
Almost.

Is it critical that the pot is 100k and not for instance 10k? IE is it possible to use 10k instead of 100k log pot without breaking the optocouplers.
Will the function be the same?
You can use 10k but you won't like how quick it comes up, and no you won't break the LDR's, as the voltage to them stays the same if your full up or at min regarless of whitch pot/s you use.

Cheers George

Well, it’s been a minute, but Lightspeeds are now available for purchase again !

We have limited stock, but exactly the same as George’s original design.

Future releases & models will have added function, but for now we’re sticking with what we know works.

Happy Listening

Scott

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I've used those stepped stereo log pots for years. It will track perfectly (within 1%).
Around $15 each on ebay. Don't let the price fool you, they are high quality and work great.
Available with round flatted shaft or knurled shaft, values 10k 20k 50k 100k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user