Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-Lithium-ion...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5886dafa1d
Sam Telling uses this with his Lightspeed he bought from me, and his comment is just like mine that there is a difference between it (Lithium-Ion battery) and the standard 12v linear regulated wall-wart but it's so close he cannot comment on what the difference is or does. He says both are dead silent but there is a detectable difference.
If you do a ebay search for this " 12v Li-ion battery " you will find many sellers selling this exact one, some even cheaper and some with free postage. The charger is universal mains 100vac-250vac and they "some" even supply the correct mains socket adapter for your country wall outlet.
All the leads are the correct ones for my production Lightspeed Attenuator, being 2.1mm and center pin positive, so those who have my Lightspeed Attenuator can safely purchase this same battery charger setup. If any other model, your on your own. I had one nucklehead connect a motor cycle battery around the wrong way and he totaled his Lightspeed.
And there are many seller to chose from, I just posted the one I use when people purchase a production Lightspeed Attenuator from me as an alternative power source.
Cheers George

Last edited:
You've got that around the wrong way, should be "is the phono able to drive the Lightspeed"
The answer is, depends on the output impedance of the Phono stage.
If below say 200ohms then yes it can, but if the level is too low then it does not have enough voltage output, the fix is to get a higher output cartidge or get a stepup device, either solid state or transformer, or you could try to increase the gain of the phono stage itself.
Cheers George

Hi,

Ok. I prefer to use transformers over solid state/tube. I have another thought (May be crazy...). Can we use an audio transformer instead of tube/solid state buffer for providing impedance matching ? Let me know your opinion/suggestions.

Best regards,
Bins.

You've got that around the wrong way, should be "is the phono able to drive the Lightspeed"
The answer is, depends on the output impedance of the Phono stage.
If below say 200ohms then yes it can, but if the level is too low then it does not have enough voltage output, the fix is to get a higher output cartidge or get a stepup device, either solid state or transformer, or you could try to increase the gain of the phono stage itself.
Cheers George

Hi Uriah,

"The buffer giveth and the buffer also taketh away".... Seems interesting. I would like to know more on "giveth " point from your experience as the other one is expected with the added components.

Best regards,
Bins.

I have only used a B1 and a DCB1. I prefer to get the right impedance out of my LDRs to match my system rather than use a buffer. The buffer giveth and the buffer also taketh away. Its the taketh away part that bugs me and doesnt sound as good as a well tuned set of LDRs.
Uriah

It helps with bass response. Thats about it from my point of view. Wider soundstage to but less depth is the worst of the taketh's. 3D imaging of female voices seems to collapse.
George recommends a tube buffer circuit that I have not tried and he recommends it with a caveat of 'no buffer is the best buffer.'
Honestly, getting this thing to work best with your system is way better than putting a buffer bandaid on it.

Hi,

The light speed is working fine for me and I am pretty satisfied with it's performance. But, I would like to try out a buffer unit with it and would like to know how it performs. The only thing is that I would like to know all your opinion before sticking to a particular buffer (Fewer components the better).

What I felt when listening to a tubed buffer is that the frequencies got a bit
polished. I am not sure on how it will be in solid state buffers. The light speed output is the purest form and is having no added color. The staging, dynamics, channel separation etc is better than DACT/other passive attenuators I had listened to.

Best regards,
Bins.

It helps with bass response. Thats about it from my point of view. Wider soundstage to but less depth is the worst of the taketh's. 3D imaging of female voices seems to collapse.
George recommends a tube buffer circuit that I have not tried and he recommends it with a caveat of 'no buffer is the best buffer.'
Honestly, getting this thing to work best with your system is way better than putting a buffer bandaid on it.

This is a SLCF buffer (Super Linear Cathode Follower) that was used in Tektronics flagship tube ocilloscope, it's the best I've heard and has good low output impedance around 100ohms, but it still does not sound as good as no buffer.

Cheers George

Attachments

• SLCF xx.jpg
    SLCF xx.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 691
Lightning Thief!

After about 3 years of having LDRs in my parts bin, I went ahead and built one. Of the 12 LDRs 4 matched pairs came off it. I used them as matched series and matched shunts. Except for the LDRs, Dales/Panasonic resistors and Bourns trimmer all other parts are from Radioshack. The power source is 9V batt thru an LM317 voltage reg adjusted to 5.5V. At this voltage the Resistance varies from about 55R to about 30k. This should work well in replacement of the B1 buffer's volume control for amps with low input impedance. I'll recommend the LS at the B1 thread. The LM317's Vout should be adjusted without the LS and then when it is connected to compensate for loading effects. The battery is at 9.28V from 9.35V after 3 hours of listening last night. More in parallel for longer life.

The sound is clean, crisp, detailed and not fatiguing. No hiss or hum on 89dB speakers. And the volume control is at 12 for my normal listening levels. I love it!

Attachments

• Lightspeed.doc
    85.5 KB · Views: 228
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Try the film Vref cap mod and hotrod current on DCB1.