Lifeless nonivolving lm3875 gainclone ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Now let it burn a few days...

jleaman said:
Maybe shorten these wires too :) just to prevent disaster and problems.

Don't worry, everything is under control. I don' want to shorten wires from the transformer now.

Upupa Epops said:
Why ? Amp is goat cheese or wine ? :xeye:

All electronic components need some time to settle down. I think that big caps need at least few days to burn in and chip like lm3875 probably weeks.

Re: Re: Now let it burn a few days...

sinski said:

Don't worry, everything is under control. I don' want to shorten wires from the transformer now.

All electronic components need some time to settle down. I think that big caps need at least few days to burn in and chip like lm3875 probably weeks.

I didn't say shorten the wires i mean shorten the exposed copper that will cause a short if crossed. Possibly short that nice transformers you have. :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Upupa Epops said:
Probably week ? Your ears maybe.... it is about psychoacoustic... ;)

I tend to agree.

I have just added 2 new LM3875 modules to my amp. The originals are 2 years old. They were all purchased at the same time and are identical using identical components.

I have been swapping between these "old" and "new" amps and didn't noticed any obvious differences. If there were any differences they must have been very minor or the burn in period was very quick and I missed the differences.

I was not testing specifically for "old" and "new" just experimenting with parallelling and bi-amping, so there is a chance that with my random testing procedures I missed something. ;)

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Power supply

enzedone said:
Greg; On your second amp did you use the same power supply set-up? I think i saw some picks of one of your LM3875's a while back. Was it from Brians site? Is your new one similar to that?

Hi Brett,

Yes, that's the amp. It changes a lot, lucky I made it easy to reconfigure.

Here's a current picture. The top 2 amps are the originals and the bottom 2 are the new ones. PSU is shared. :D

regards

Attachments

• img_1921 s.jpg
    img_1921 s.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 557
Hi,

There was a small break in my gc experiments. In last days i visited few friends with different setups and this is my final opinion:

1. When my gc is connected to a very good living and rocking preamp like naim nac 72/hicap then the music is living and rocking

2. Passive amp is working sometimes better, sometimes worse, but only with a very good preamp there is a real good prat.

3. In a passive mode the snubber ps seems to work better, but snubber IMHO is like kind of "loudness" switch. There is little more bass and punch, but the sound is more tensed and not so natural and i cannot listen so long to he music as with original Premium Kit design.

4. I switched back to original "no snubber" design with 2x1500uF very close to LM3875 and for my taste the sound is more natural, the sound is flowing more naturally and finally i prefer it over the "snubber" version. Sorry Carlos ;)

So now i need a really good rocking preamp. Any suggestions ?

Just out of interest, have you tried a shunted passive attenuator?

I have an Audiosector premium kit in dual mono config (2v 18-0-18v, 120VA, 2x rectifiers, with 1500uf on the rails). I use a 50k alps blue dual log pot, shunted with 47k metal film (0.25w) resistors. The resistor is directly in the signal path and the pot as a bypass to signal ground. This keeps the signal path as short as possible, as it no longer goes through the wiper arm of the pot. I find it really opens up the sound in terms of clarity, especially at lower volume levels.

Regards,

Chris.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.