'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the price of some of that stuff you can pay a pro woodworker to do that job. I have good contacts with a local cabinetry firm so if I need something 'fancy' done I just ask them. Some of the kit they have makes me salivate. They have a table saw that moves on its own! I walked in to the workshop and the thing was adjusting itself for the next cut! (at least I presume thats what it was doing)

Yes, you are right but from that point of view you could buy finished speakers as well.:)
If you are in this DIY hobby, you have to develop appreciation for good tools.
What you have seen in the shop is CNC router. CNC routers are available as DIY as well - too bad that not so many people here are into it. Great fun with step motors.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
For the price of some of that stuff you can pay a pro woodworker to do that job. I have good contacts with a local cabinetry firm so if I need something 'fancy' done I just ask them. Some of the kit they have makes me salivate. They have a table saw that moves on its own! I walked in to the workshop and the thing was adjusting itself for the next cut! (at least I presume thats what it was doing)

Are you sure?

What you could have seen was the latter part of a Transformers change into an inconspicuous table saw in attempt to hide its true identity from you. :D

By the way the other thing I like about these guys is that they store all wood as raw, unplaned. So when you ask them to build something they plane the wood down then and there so it is EXACTLY the right size with no warp.

They build stuff from small fancy jewellery boxes that have weeks of work in them, with hidden compartments and decorations (not hidden lol), to stair cases for mansions (they did all the woodwork for the 'Footballers Wives' TV show house). They also built some custom speaker enclosures for Phil Collins studio.

...and they also build my products ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I forgot to mention, RAAL have just added some nice improvements to the 140-15d ribbon including even better vertical directivity and cabinet mounting.

The faceplates are also available in black as well as the usual brushed stainless steel.

There's an upcoming version of the 70-10 called the 70-10d which now incorporates the same vertical dispertion improving pads that are found on the larger model. From looking at the early vertical offaxis measurements I'd say its excellent for a ribbon, approaching a 1" dome actually but with a fair bit wider horizontal dispertion, and also now eliminates cancelations in the vertical for a smoother offaxis performance.

Nice that Aleksandar keeps on quietly improving his designs.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Are you sure?

What you could have seen was the latter part of a Transformers change into an inconspicuous table saw in attempt to hide its true identity from you. :D

This is funny. Very much like Monty Payton.:)
By the way welcome to the world of ribbons. You will love it. Funny enough I didn't know about RAAL, and thanx to you I just realized they are from my old Country.
Anyways, I have Aurum Cantus big ribbons and I am trilled with them. I will be very interested in hearing your opinion when you finish and to compare them with your exeptional "old" speakers.
Good luck

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ap said:
Your design looks amazing, one thing I would like to point out is how two 5" scanspeak mids & Seas bas drivers will reach 95db to match the tweeter?
Im guessing with baffle step you would be aiming for about 89db.

I'm less concerned about this now that I've decided not to do passive. But...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's the 1w/1m plot for the C-Quenze 15H 52 06 13 SD which is underhung. After some talk it was suggested that an underhung coil isn't really needed for a driver that operates in the 200hz and up range. So I've switched over to the 15H 52 13 06 SDK which is overhung and offers roughly 2dB more sensitivity in the operating range I'm looking at.

If you parallel the mids then your looking at sensitivity of 96dB+ at 200hz. Factor in a modest baffle step of 3dB and you'd be looking in the ballpark.

The RAAL also isn't 95dB eff. through its entire range as shown here:

http://www.raalribbon.com/images/products/140-15d-m.htm

And the 8's aren't far behind 90dB from the preliminary information that Per has provided, probably around 88dB.

I'm less concerned about this now that I've decided not to do passive. But...

I think you've made the right decision going active.

I know one of the reasons (or, maybe THE reason) that you wanted to go passive in the first place was for simplicity of operation. It would be possible to have active crossovers and still achieve some of this simplicity by either building your own custom analog xovers or using a pre-packaged digital xover (you still have that DEQX?). I got soured by the whole PCXO experience, it was too comlpicated and to be honest I was never able to resolve the problem of having all sorts of random clicks and pops, plus the overall delay was awful (seriously off-sync with video). One fairly serious drawback to the active analog xo route (the route I am now taking) is that you can't introduce actual delay on signals, only phase shift. My speakers are the same as the ones you will be building in that they have a flat front baffle, so this could be an issue.

What are your thoughts on the xover you will be using for these speakers or have you decided to cross that bridge when you come to it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.