'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry, I must dissappoint you there

But maybe thats part of why I prefer a single big woofer, multiple small quality drivers tend to be very expencive - but then again, I dont care much about looks - or 15hz bass notes

but difficult decisions indeed, but in the end maybe mainly a matter of what you feel good about

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The design is pretty much all finalised now, so off to the timber yard in the next day or two and then will start with the photo shortly after. I'm aiming to not really hang about too much with these as I'd like them ready for the UK DIY meet in July this year, so expect swift progress hopefully!

Cutaway showing layout and construction:
internal_detail.jpg

Cutting list:
cuttinglistsmall.jpg

Link to large version of the cutting list: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1050288/cuttinglistlarge.jpg

I also thought it would be helpful to make available my original CorelDraw files for this design and others. The workspace is setup pretty nicely to enable scale drawings to made and quickly too. There's also a selection of drivers in the files that can be resized and then placed within your own stuff. Just though it might help others to get some scale visualisations done with a minimum of fuss. But unfortunately my hosting only allows image files uploads. If someone could offer a little reliable hosting for these files(about 0.5-1Mb each) that would be pretty decent of you.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Have MDF prices suddenly jumped up or something? Around September last year it was about £18 for an 18mm 8'x4' sheet. And now just a few months down the line I've got stung for nearly £25 for the same stuff and from the same place(Arnold Lavers).

You can get 18mm void-free ply for about £40 which is much more desirable and I almost did had I not been buying more than a couple of sheets.

What gives and what are others paying? Thinking I just got ripped off a little.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
FullThrottleRic said:
It's still about £17 from B&Q near me :confused:

Yep, just done a quick search on the net and found Wickes selling them for £13.

Laver's has always been a little over the odds on price but its only a 5 minute drive away so I really went there for convenience more than anything. I can't stomach twice the price though so I think its probably wise to do some shopping around next time.

BTW does MDF vary in quality? I notice these sheets I just got have 'Mr. MDF' stamped in red down one edge of the sheets, never noticed that before but apart from that it looks and feels exactly like everything else I've used.

ShinOBIWAN said:

BTW does MDF vary in quality? I notice these sheets I just got have 'Mr. MDF' stamped in red down one edge of the sheets, never noticed that before but apart from that it looks and feels exactly like everything else I've used.

The cheaper MDF has a lower density and/ or thicker paper top layers. I prefer the type which has a density close to HDF (my supplier told me that HDF wasn't sold anymore as big sheets in my country). But I could get higher density stuff, its twice the price of the normal variety.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Whilst I'd like to think I got some of the good stuff your talking about LaMa, it looks like this, at least on inspection, is the same as every other sheet of MDF I ever bought with the exception of the Mr MDF branding down the edge.

Maybe once I start cutting I find its better but I just think I paid over the odds on this one. Nevermind.

There can be subtle differences.. but if the sheets weigh the same they'll perform the same.
It's all about the density.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Whilst I'd like to think I got some of the good stuff your talking about LaMa, it looks like this, at least on inspection, is the same as every other sheet of MDF I ever bought with the exception of the Mr MDF branding down the edge.

Maybe once I start cutting I find its better but I just think I paid over the odds on this one. Nevermind.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
I paid £19 for a 18mm sheet today. But I do get some cutting for free so :)

Shin were you just charged for cutting or do you take them by the sheet? :eek:

I always need some ripping down the length and a few cross-cuts done to make it manageable. But then most of the time I have to carry it home lol! *mr. muscles*

I had them cut the sheets into thirds so I could get them in the back of the car and also make them more manageable on the table saw. They charged me 75p + VAT for each cut and that's ontop of the £25. Maybe they don't like me down there or something? :D I do know its got a reputation as an expensive alternative. I like the place because its got everything under one roof and is close by.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Started cutting the MDF early this morning and just couldn't get anything to go right. My homemade fence for the table saw looks to have gotten damp over winter and has bowed/expanded significantly causing me all sorts of problems trying to get a decent and straight cut. In the end I gave up and have taken the remaining sheets back down to Lavers and had them cut to size by them using the plans I posted a page back in this thread. Doing that has probably saved me at least a weeks worth of cutting and now I can get stuck in to the interesting stuff straight away.

As you can see there's a fair amount of MDF:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was moaning about £25 per sheet of MDF, well you don't want to know what all that lot cost to cut. :whazzat:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
richie00boy said:
That's a lot of wood. I bet your wallet hurts... I take it making a new fence is not a very quick nor easy job?

No your right its a PITA, the other took me a couple of attempts to get it spot on. I figured after all this that instead of making another good fence for a cheap and nasty Wickes homebrand special I'm just gonna save and get a decent table saw later this year. In the meantime I was in a hurry to get these cut to size so the easiest and quickest, if not the cheapest, option was to have it done by someone else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.