'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
felixx said:
Shin...try high spl loudspeakers like TAD or Fertin,Supravox this time or next time. Alnico make the differences.

I'd likely stick with Audiotechnology for the next ones, they do a lot of things well for me and are a safe bet. I'm just using the relatively standard ones at the moment but something more exotic can be cooked up by Per, for example an 6.5 or 8" mid with large BL motor, TS specs pushed for SPL over extension and the moving parts lightened up. These steps would give some good gains in efficiency. All this stuff is basically what they do with pro audio drivers. Something like this is what I'm getting at:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another that I'd consider is PHL.

BTW I'm not so enamoured by front horns and compression drivers. Not to say they aren't much good but not for my sensibilities.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
No passive but unsure on the exact active route. He knows he wants active but hasn't decided on a PCXO or otherwise. I'm planning to try and tempt him when he comes over for a listen to what I have setup here.

I already suggested RAAL 140-15d, PHL 1120 and 2x Scanspeak 23W but still not sure about the mid as he has the ATC 3" dome and likes that. PHL is a natural progression from ATC IMO - more SPL and dynamic ability.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
chrismercurio said:
The Scan Speak 23w is doing very nicely at my house. I'm only using it as a sub, but it is nonetheless very impressive for such a small woofer. 4 per side might work better though....

Yes, I thought so too. 2 per side will give in-room extension to 25hz, more an EQ/SPL trade, in a reasonably sized sealed cab. I don't envisage any problem keeping up with the RAAL or PHL. The 23W measures like a champ on the distortion figures too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.