'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tim F said:
Sorry Ant but I think this illustration is just a poor copy of the real thing.

Yeah and another thing, it doesn't even play music! :)

When I originally drew that I hadn't started construction, so it helped look at things in a different way. I like to always explore a design fully before committing to the build. Tools like this are good for that.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vikash said:
I think you've squeezed everything you can out of CorelDraw. Time to learn Solidworks now, and make a proper job of it!

Agreed.

I've been using Solidworks for a couple of months now(Tim F got me interested). Very tricky at first, especially coming from a 2d vector art package. I bought a tute DVD off ebay recently and that's helping out immensely. Its amazing the power that can be deployed with this package, even down to mechanical happenings. Thankfully designing speakers is relatively simple in comparison to that.

Expect the next ones to look posher. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Ant:

So.... Whats new with the LGT anyway?

Hey James,

Nothing new or interesting relating to the LGT. Tweaking still ongoing but I'd say its as good as they're going to get now. Some minor improvements coming about every now and then but its through better understanding of room correction within Acourate rather than improving the crossover. New NX400NL-LSP amp modules are on order from Aussieamps and ETA is about 3 weeks. Paired with these will be Coldamp SPS80HV SMPS supplies and Mcubed HFX chassis's. Should be good once done and no soldering required! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also just starting with room treatment and have in hand plenty of RW3(50mm and 100mm thickness's) rigid fibre glass from Rockwool along with some nice two tone Alcantara fabrics to wrap them in. I'll post some photo's of that in the coming weeks. This I'm very excited about. It should sound and look great once done.

I mentioned I'd been drawing up designs in earlier post and have planned a set of surrounds but these are some way off in the future because there's plenty to keep me busy in the coming months.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ackcheng said:
Can you tell us more about "room correction within Acourate" that you learnt recently? I thought you just prepare the target curve and than everything is calculated automatically?

Have you tried Uli' new correction method? I can't say much on the forums as he specifically asked that it be kept quiet whilst he's still investigating.

Since your an Acourate user, if you shoot him an email I'm sure he'll explain better and do some example filters for your setup.

I got some positive improvements with his new take on things.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:
Ant, if you dare strip them down and sell the bits to build something new, (as is your habit), before I get to listen to them, then you're cruisin' for a bruisin'. :)

I wouldn't rule out future projects of a similar intent but I'd have to be sure it was a move in the right direction before these got broke up or sold. As it stand, I strongly doubt with my listening room and current design know-how that I'd be able to convincingly move forward with a new loudspeaker design. Besides, projects like this require silly investments in time, effort and money. Its refreshing to take a break from that and its worth remembering, if sold, you never get back what you've put into them as I learned with the Perceive. So for the long term I've forgotten about mains and are concentrating on other area's to bring further improvements.

originally posted by SHINOBIWAN
Have you tried Uli' new correction method? I can't say much on the forums as he specifically asked that it be kept quiet whilst he's still investigating.

Hi Ant,

only a slight misunderstanding here.
You can talk about the result of the new correction, of course.

But I will be reluctant to tell what I'm doing exactly and how I achieve it. The new correction has not been published somewhere (there are tons of literature about room correction in the meanwhile) and I simply like to keep it as intellectual property.

And there are of course always lurkers just waiting for new ideas.

As the new method is also quite tricky and difficult to handle I'm still investigating about how to implement it in Acourate as a one button procedure. But I fear it may not be possible and then I have to answer the question about how to make it public but not "too" public.

In addition I'm also forced by the marketing of competitive software (stating that Acourate is complex to handle) to find a simple to use user interface. BTW I'm wondering: up to now all user have managed to use Acourate even without manual and a big help file which seems to be necessary with other products.

Anyway you can of course share your listening results. No need to muzzle. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey Uli,

Thanks for clarification. I couldn't give much away if I tried; I don't have a clue how you do the correction! But I do superficially understand what your end goals for the pulse responses are. I doubt you can automate the process, almost each case needs to be looked at on its own merits. I'd imagine some quite complex conditioning would need to be deployed in order to catch and categorise the correct approach for the software to take.

A shame really because A) it holds great promise and B) I have to bug you to come up with new filters each time I make changes. ;).

When I first used the new filters it was one of those moments where you sit back and just listen for hours without even realising it. Its like getting a new bit of kit. Things got bigger, particularly the width of the performance, and the spatiality of the original venue is even more convincingly brought across. I mentioned this to yourself in an email but even the dynamics are increased with more weight and general sense of contrast/snap. I *think* this is because of a seemingly reduced noise floor brought about through a reduction in the smearing nastiness going on in the decay. The pulse responses measured for before and after correction certainly bear that train of thought out.

Finally, for laughs, I combined the DRC with ambiophonics stuff. Ambiophonics is stereo crosstalk processing that aims to expand the width, height and create side images that envelopes you more with not only a sense of sound happening in front of you but also spatial clues placed well outside the usual limits for a two channel setup. Its not perfect but at least doesn't sound universally awful and over egged like 5.1 for music. Its uncannily real for orchestral and other large scale pieces but not so good for everything else. Bit of a toy that one but still interesting enough.

In addition I'm also forced by the marketing of competitive software (stating that Acourate is complex to handle) to find a simple to use user interface. BTW I'm wondering: up to now all user have managed to use Acourate even without manual and a big help file which seems to be necessary with other products.[/B]

Acourate is pretty easy to use these days. I'm not sure if its because I'm now familiar with it or if its because of the new features and automation you've been steadily adding in. Either way its more user friendly than the initial release was.

Just read (ie: looked at all the pictures) through this thread, and I have to say - simply beautiful!

Though I would have loved to see them in red.... did I understand correctly that red wasn't one of the many colors you tried the baffle in? :D

Nice car too btw, I have it's little (engine-wise) brother :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.