'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:
I'm deeply wounded...

Well, a little hurt...

Okay, so it's all true! I'm a bachelor!!!

;)

Al wouldn't be Al without it I'm afraid. Its all part of the character, eccentricity and charm not to mentioning the fact that you don't believe in subsidising the carefree lifestyle of Mr Sheen, I mean how much money is the guy on if he can afford his own bi-plane anyway :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
So, I don't get it. Is that somehow a 10-channel amp or are you using it in addition to some other amplification?

FullThrottleRic said:
Arn't they running with passive crossovers at the moment?

Neither of those, I've been listening to the Symasym using a pair of small passive Missions. Ignore the fact the LGT is in that shot, the post was about a positive experience with the Symasym and how I'll likely use these with the LGT's.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Neither of those, I've been listening to the Symasym using a pair of small passive Missions. Ignore the fact the LGT is in that shot, the post was about a positive experience with the Symasym and how I'll likely use these with the LGT's.

Aww, thats disappointing. Are the LGT's hooked up to anything right now? Also, how does the SymAsym get you out of DIYing an amp? Isn't that still a DIY project or would you have someone build them for you?

MJL21193 said:

The scale of this project is massive. It would be a huge undertaking for a team let alone an individual.
Give the guy a break.

jleaman said:

I agree, he has done a PERFECT JOB, and a show quality finnish, good work. I wish i could pay u to build me a pair :p

Jase

Thats my entire point. I was disappointed to hear that they weren't currently being listened to simply because they are so impressive. Thats no insult.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:

Thats my entire point. I was disappointed to hear that they weren't currently being listened to simply because they are so impressive. Thats no insult.

Thanks motion, sorry I completely missed this post. Not been around much over the Christmas period. I'll have them up and running again later this year. For now I'm planning the next project which will be a good look at my room acoustics with the end result being a thorough, but more importantly, aesthetically pleasing treatment. All DIY of course.

Can't quite believe how I managed to pull myself away from another loudspeaker project. Its only January though so plenty of time yet :D

Well I built myself a pair of SKA amps and I have to say I am very impressed. If you want an easier project Shin, then buy some ready built ones from Greg. I don't think you will find a 'better' amp. They provide a lot of insight in to the music while still making it all enjoyable and fun to listen to.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
jpetek said:
It is possible to get some plans to build the loudspeaker?

Hi Josef,

The loudspeakers aren't really well suited to offering as a documented project for others to build. Problems are things such as the drivers which are special order items and the digital crossover is quite heavy going. But the cabinets could easily be built by an experienced builder from the plans I have.

You could do it but it would be a large investment in time and money. The end result is really something else though.

Hi,

what driver do you use? I have here a good solution with DSP and active for the speaker.

I saw that you like the same loudspeaker I do. The Rockport Arrakis.

I have access to the driver and the crossover but I do not find anybody which is able to build the cabinet. (HDF/MDF)

Maybe you know anybody? What do you think your Speaker is in the same class?

regards

Josef

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
jpetek said:
Hi,

what driver do you use? I have here a good solution with DSP and active for the speaker.

The 5" and 8" drivers are from Audiotechnology. Both have tweaked TS parameters and design features to optimise them for the operating range they work in and the cabinet volume.

The tweeter is just a standard RAAL 140-15d.

I can't help but think, and particularly with the crossover details, that you'll end up something that looks like the LGT but sounds different. You'd need to implement it exactly as I've done for it to be the same. Maybe that is not your goal, maybe you would just like to take parts from the design and create something new.

Maybe you know anybody? What do you think your Speaker is in the same class?

Don't know any cabinet builders here in the UK. I don't really like to compare my designs with others but I will say they make good noises. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.