Let's talk about the concerts we saw!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
David:
I would have loved to have been at their Montreux concert in the 70's.

Yeah, I was a couple of years too young to catch them then. Both of my brothers were able to see them and brought back reports for me. That just made it worse. I *almost* got to see them in 1980 in Tallahassee, but my parents re-thunk it at the last minute. It was a school night... That was my last opportunity to see the original Dregs.

Well played suffering cats... I'll have to think about that. Absolutely agreed about Mark Parrish. I can't bring myself to fault T Lavitz, but Parrish has the technical skills and soul to boot.

I've seen Steve Morse a few times sans Dregs, too. With the original Steve Morse Band of Jerry Peek and Morgenstein, as well as the later iteration with LaRue and Romaine.
Also saw him with Kansas. He played violin on Dust in the Wind, which was cool to see. The musicians of Kansas are very capable, but when you see Steve play along with other skilled guitarists, it showcases just how amazing he really is.

One of the most incredible sights was a small show with Rod Morgenstein and Aquarium Rescue Unit drummer Jeff Sipe (aka apt.Q258) as headlines. Dual drummers as the headline? They set up face to face, with their sides to the audience so they could read each other. It was unforgettable. A drum clinic on steroids.
IMHO, Jeff is one of very few drummers who could hold their own against Rod. I watched him eat a sandwich once while playing a show at the Variety Playhouse in ATL.

I now live in Arkansas, so it's unlikely I'll ever get to see them live.

I assume you keep track of shows on one of their websites?

End of the English Journey

Delphaure said:
Please, after this concert (if you intend to go, evidently), just write us a little review, particularly for Michael Tippett (I assume it is him).

Not sure how worthwhile my opinions are, however...

The Bridgewater Hall is a very good place to hear what music should sound like.

The BBC - Philharmonic seemed in particularly good form - intonation good and ensemble near faultless. Well rehearsed, I guess.

Concert overture Rebus by Frank Bridge I have never heard before. Good programme note helped make sense of it. Light and pleasant - fit for purpose.

Never seen or heard the whole of the opera Peter Grimes byBenjamin Britten but the Four Sea Interludes are well known. Quite accessible for Britten - programmatic, evocative stuff.

The opera The Midsummer Marriage by Sir Michael Tippett I have seen on TV. It is a fantastical work, from which Four Ritual Dances have been arranged for concert performance. At 24 minutes it is a substantial work. There are occasional longeurs when you wish that he would come to the point a couple of bars sooner. Not sure if this is because they are dances or whether it is just Tippett. The orchestra played this complex music very well indeed - better than the CD I have.

Walton's First Symphony I have on disc also. Vassily Sinaisky (the conductor) seemed to draw an excellent performance from the orchestra. The music is frequently loud and declamatory, but always moving structurally or harmonically. A work of this size and complexity really needs the precision with which the BBC Phil. played it.

An enjoyable concert, very well received by the audience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.